Star Wars: The Old Republic Gets Dreamy with Operation Nightmare

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Star Wars: The Old Republic Gets Dreamy with Operation Nightmare

New update adds Kell Dragon gear, guild updates, and twelve bosses to the Star Wars MMO.

Star Wars: The Old Republic, after getting chummy with [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10255-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Rise-of-the-Hutt-Cartel-Preview]the Hutts[/a] a few months ago, is now looking to get a bit Lovecraftian. The new update is called [a href=http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates/operation-nightmare]Operation Nightmare[/a], which sounds like the least inspiring name for a military operation ever. The update comes in two parts. Part one is currently live, with the second one to follow soon. Operation Nightmare will add rare new gear, a new crafting system, updates to guild bonuses, and lots of new baddies to kill.

The first part, Terror From Beyond, introduces the majority of the new updates, and, presumably, terrors. As the site proudly proclaims, "the fight to seize control of the Gree Hypergate will leave you gasping for breath as you battle the five main bosses, now amped up to challenge even the most skilled group of players!" The new Kell Dragon gear set is being introduced as well.

Part two, Legions of Scum and Villainy, seems to scale back the terror in favor of good, old-fashioned crime. According to the blurb, "Defeating the Hutt Cartel's ruthless mercenaries and beasts will require more coordination than ever before". That might not sound quite as exciting as terrible terrors from beyond, but it also comes with an Elite Kell Dragon set to acquire, so your work is never quite done. Since these new challenges are level 55, players will have to own the Rise of the Hutt Cartel digital expansion to make use of the new level cap.

More details can be found on the [a href=http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130612]SWTOR developer blog[/a].

Source: [a href=http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates/operation-nightmare]Star Wars: The Old Republic Blog[/a]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
As a player, I like the increase of the guild bonus exp. :) Perfect timing since I have rested exp, and a 3 hour exp boost. I need to get to 55!

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Korten12 said:
As a player, I like the increase of the guild bonus exp. :) Perfect timing since I have rested exp, and a 3 hour exp boost. I need to get to 55!
I don't quite get all the XP boosts tbh. Nowadays I'm usually level 55 at the end of Voss.
When ToR launched I reached 50 somewhere in the middle of Corellia. So overall I think that the leveling speed increased considerably and that there is no further need to boost the XP income.

neppakyo said:
People still play this shitty game? o_O
Hater gonna hate.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Ishigami said:
Korten12 said:
I don't quite get all the XP boosts tbh. Nowadays I'm usually level 55 at the end of Voss.
When ToR launched I reached 50 somewhere in the middle of Corellia. So overall I think that the leveling speed increased considerably and that there is no further need to boost the XP income.

neppakyo said:
Hater gonna hate.
Well I don't buy XP boosts, but I get them from quests. Like completing the Tatooine Bonus series gave me a 3 hour XP boost.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Yea I know. It was just a general observation that levelling in SW:ToR is already incredible fast so I don't get why BW is increasing the XP gain again by increasing the guild bonus.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
neppakyo said:
Ishigami said:
neppakyo said:
Hater gonna hate.
Nah, hater gunna play Guild War 2, Rift and other better MMO's.

captcha: telsa coil *uses it to zap the EAware away*
I understand how horrible SWTOR is in certain aspects, especially the F2P, but i will take SWTORS story-based MMO over every mmo nowadays. When the elder scrolls online comes out and final fantasy 14 arrives to the public, i hope i can replace it. Until then, i get my MMO-story appetite fed well from SWTOR.

As for rift/WoWforthehardcoreyeahright, and the meh story of guild wars 2 and the way too obsessed pvp community, enjoy it. Im just personally tired of medieval MMO's with little to no good story. Sorry.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
If Rift or GW2 are so much better than SW:ToR why is it that they can't really gain more players than the dreadful Tortanic?
Why did Rift turn F2P just a few days ago?
If there are so many better MMOs* out there why is ToR apparently still among the 3 most played MMOs* in EU and NA?
Let's face it: SW:ToR is actually not so bad.
You don't like it and that is okay. Many did not but apparently something of estimated 700k people in NA and EU do seem to like it at least a bit.

Regarding FFXIV: Don't bet on it.
Unless you belong to a certain very special group of people this won't be the MMO you are looking for. Neither the story nor the presentation or gameplay will elevate this one into the realm of something recommendable.
Trust me on this one.

While Elder Scrolls Online could be fun I personally am betting on WildStar. If you haven't checked that out you may want to take a look: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

*Only considering traditional MMOs. Top 3 afaik are: WoW, GW2 and SW:ToR.

Sicht

Jun 4, 2011
Because a name on a franchise can carry alot of bad in a game. It's why instead of making original movies alot of companies will just reuse old licensing because they know the name alone is what will attract people. Also It's their opinion the game sucks and it's also your opinion the game isn't. so saying "let's face it" falls so hard on it's face since you're acting like your opinion is based off fact when we KNOW people would play star wars and ignore all the bad because it's star wars. You know that big franchise that produces alot of bad stuff but still make millions only through people loving lightsabers and jedis?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
neppakyo said:
Ishigami said:
neppakyo said:
Hater gonna hate.
Nah, hater gunna play Guild War 2, Rift and other better MMO's.

captcha: telsa coil *uses it to zap the EAware away*
I play the Old Republic, but I also play GW2. :/ Don't need to be a hater to play other MMO's.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Devoneaux said:
Ishigami said:
Let's face it: SW:ToR is actually not so bad.
Yes it is, and I don't care who plays what, popularity is meaningless to me. Stupid P2P price model not withstanding, there is A LOT of things that bother me about this game:

Stat bars to measure things that don't need measuring.

Meaningless and pointless choices that might as well not be there.

Outdated game mechanics, even for an MMO.

"meh" graphics that are somehow still computer intensive.

And a host of nit picks of which I've since forgotten.
I dont mind paying for a mmo I will commit time to. As a huge story pursuer such as myself, those story choices do matter here and there in terms of uncovering lore that may have been missed due to a dark or light choice. Not to mention said alignments give you access to powerful armors or weapons restricted to light or dark. I understand most of the choices dont directly benefit you, but itd the story and lore thats a award for me.

As for the graphics, id say they are really ok and suit the kotor universe. If my swtor looked like tera I myself would not want to play it. It does not represent kotor.

In closing, you seem not to have played this in pursuit of lore and story, or even to experience or see some key events in the star wars universe. If thats true, id be surprised if you liked it for its gameplay overall.

I'll give wild star a try certainly. Im a open armed gamer.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Ishigami said:
Yea I know. It was just a general observation that levelling in SW:ToR is already incredible fast so I don't get why BW is increasing the XP gain again by increasing the guild bonus.
The bigger bonus is the reputation bonus, letting you get neat stuff from reputation vendors quicker. Also, when running through a play through of your half dozenth character for the story through fairly familiar places, it's awesome to be able to easily outlevel and curb-stomp the piss out of stuff in your story arc.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
You realise he said its "not so bad" right? He wasn't spouting how wonderful it is or even praising it. Its just not so bad. Did I forget the definition or something?

I Admit though, if it wasnt related to kotor, I wouldn't be playing it.