Star Wars: The Old Republic Goes Free-to-Play

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Guys, no need to fret, Guild Wars 2 is out later next month!!!!!!!!!!! But yeah, if you're going to play this, DO NOT start with the Trooper story, it will honestly make you bored out of your mind after the first act.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Huh lots of people acting just as smug and asinine as the company they are mocking.

On the escapist?
SHOCKING.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
cool, i hope the game runs for year so i can occasionally drop in and play a few levels for each class story.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Nothing drops paying customers in an MMO faster than letting all the free players in, because they are all trolls and 5 year olds obviously.

And nothing turns off free customers more than only getting the tiniest portion of the game and having to pay out the nose for EVERY single thing, just so the game can be called "free to play."

Its like saying that baseball is free to play, but if you want any bats or gloves and bases 2 and 3, then you need to buy them.

Personally I play a mmo where it really is free, but everyone has the same option to pay for things. However, you can use in game coins to buy the real money gold and items from other people. Sadly in recent years this has included the best gear in the game, and makes certain people pretty much faceroll everything, but you don't have to play with them.

You can enjoy everything the game has to offer, every quest and instance etc., without spending a penny if you want to. Though your time would be much better spent spending at least $50 one time and then you can still play for years for free.

It may be unbalanced for PVP, but if you play an mmo ONLY for pvp then I pity you. Especially if you pay a subscription for the privilege of owning pixels with your pixels so you can brag about it to other people's pixels.

OT I still have no desire to play ToR, as Starwars has long since faded out of my sphere of interest. The original trilogy and the clone wars cartoon were enough for me, I don't need to grind and deal with the usual MMO things in said universe. I don't think that doing so would make me like Starwars any more than I aoready do, and quite possibly a lot less.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So some of it's going to be free to play but the majority of the content is going to be locked unless you pay the subscription. Just like what FunCom did with Age of Conan. The free to play part is really going to be nothing more than an extended trial account.

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
This amuses me. Though I do wonder what the limit on the amount of characters you can have is, as well if you are still able to use a speeder at all if you are a non-subscriber.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So all the singleplayer stuff that people wanted from a KOTOR sequel is now available? Fuck your micro transactions, but I might actually pick this up now. The MMO where I never have to deal with another player.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Thats one hurdle down. Now all they need to do is make Origin unnecessary to run it and I might actually play.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
I had a sub and enjoyed the game but my attention span does not work well with MMO's, so I stopped playing while I still had two months worth of playtime left. I'll definitely check it out again since it's going free to play.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
I still won't be coming back, cause I got a mmo coming out with no subscription and everything being available.

only 25 more days :D

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Mister Six said:
This amuses me. Though I do wonder what the limit on the amount of characters you can have is, as well if you are still able to use a speeder at all if you are a non-subscriber.
The current free trial has 8 character slots. If they didn't limit it for that I don't think they're going to limit it further.

itsthesheppy said:
Thats one hurdle down. Now all they need to do is make Origin unnecessary to run it and I might actually play.
Get it straight from the site and you don't need Origin.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Bioware had some great ideas that I think should have done very well in an industry full of mindless raid grinding.

And then they stuck those ideas in a WoW clone. Bravo.

Nov 28, 2007
I'm interested, but my laptop cannot run TOR, sadly. The family computer might be able to, but getting access to it during school would be tricky. Shame. I actually committed the gamer sin of enjoying myself while playing it at my sister's house.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Wow, with the amount of times they asserted that TOR wouldn't be going free-to-play, they almost managed to make this suprising.

Ha ha, just kidding, this isn't even close to a suprise.

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
Too little. Too late. Maybe Cameron will make a movie about them one day too.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I am actually cool with this, my free month just ran out, so this will let me keep playing later this year.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
nodlimax said:
major_chaos said:
This is a good thing from where I'm standing. the sooner MMOs move away from the bullshit monthly subscription model the better.
You do know that Freemium or "F2P"are usually more expensive than the Sub based MMOs? But the costs in these models are kind of hidden for the uneducated kind of people.
It all depends on the amount of free time you have. I might play an MMORPG for an hour or two a month. Subscriptions are a waste of money for me. Also there is a no cost start up and the frugal never HAVE to pay.
TripleDaddy said:
Put that lightsaber down.

Ops are for closers.
What's my name? Farrck Yu. That's my name.

You know what it takes to do Operations?
It takes Thermal Detonators to do Operations.

[sub]Man I love Blake[/sub]