Star Wars: The Old Republic Goes Free-to-Play

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Aaaaand...now I'll play the game. Thanks.

I was just waiting for this day; I got a copy of KOTOR for free at work but I'm not that interested in the game to pay a subscription. But now I can try it out and, hey, if it's a good game, I might subscribe.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Easton Dark said:
Wait, race will be restricted? So, what, can you only play as a human or something?
Psh, why would you play any other races, you ARE a human, after all. Stop trying to be original and play the race you are, goddammit!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
kortin said:
Easton Dark said:
Wait, race will be restricted? So, what, can you only play as a human or something?
Psh, why would you play any other races, you ARE a human, after all. Stop trying to be original and play the race you are, goddammit!
But I wanted to be an... um... a Darth Maul?

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Easton Dark said:
kortin said:
Easton Dark said:
But I wanted to be an... um... a Darth Maul?
Oh.

Well in that case, go right in! We don't have nearly as many Darth Mauls around as we should!

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
I've never played a MMO before, but I'll probably get into this now. Hell, I'll probably dump some money into it just so I don't feel bad about it.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
kortin said:
Well in that case, go right in! We don't have nearly as many Darth Mauls around as we should!
Apparently I can't if I'm understanding race being restricted correctly... and no way will I be paying a subscription. To any game or gaming service. Ever.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
It was only a matter of time after EA laid of all those people at Bioware Austin.

(including Mr. Bannu himself Stanley Woo, who was in charge of quality assurance lol)

I guess that whole sob story on Mr. Woo's blog a month back, where he went over how he was so "disillusioned" from his job that he did Bioware a favor and left voluntarily, was proven to be a total crock. Why am I not surprised - almost every moderator on the BSN continually lies through their teeth.

I suspect that EA is rushing their F2P model through to:

a) rescue the failing subscriber base/wasted monies on TOR
b) try to jumpstart some franchises that they already destroyed the first time (Ultima Forever being the prime offender)

In the end, the industry needs to innovate, not plagarize. I have no intention of playing TOR - if I wanted a WoW clone, I'd just go spend my time on WoW. At least I know the support is still there and that there's a ton of extra content. I don't want to play KOTOR 3 kitbashed into an MMO format.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Woah, what a surprising turn of events. Allow me to express my completely genuine and unexpected shock at this thing I did not expect to happen.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Huh...looks I owe my friend a bottle of Scotch, because I just lost a bet. Thought TOR would last for at LEAST one year.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
And WoW a bastard shade of its former self crushes yet another pretender.

In all seriousness though as an optimist who tried to like the game and spent 6 months playing it I can say that most of the hate it gets, most of the negative feedback, and most of what is spewed about this game is completely fair. And Bioware has no one to blame but themselves for this catastrophe. EA's shadowy hand is behind a lot with the game, but for it to be this much of an utter disaster (2.2 million copies sold, probably about 750k subscribers and falling) Bioware has to take a good deal of blame as well. They should be embarrassed at the beta of a game they had us playing.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
HOT DAMN, I just scored $20!

When my friend signed on to the beta, I bet him twenty bucks that it would go free-to-play in less then a year.

Release date: December 20, 2012 (yes, backwards American format).

I'm gonna buy myself a bottle of victory-flavored whiskey.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
That is kinda nice they are giving people who bought the collector's edition more coins and items.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
back when they said the free to play option would just be the first 15 levels I wasn't too interested since I've played the trial and that was as far as I was able to get during that so being able to play further actually interests me greatly. Also once it transitions over it may actually give me something to play since I have almost nothing on my radar this fall.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
And WoW picks another MMO out of its teeth. Who is next to be devoured by the monstrosity?
Do you really need to ask? Everyone knows WoW is already giving funny looks to that TES MMO.

OT: Might actually play it now. MMO was never my kind of fun (never got to WoW endgame, so whatever), therefore having only story portions works fine for me.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I have a sort of manic glee with this, I knew it would not work, and watching the ship sink just makes me happy.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Best shot they had was to do it right now. Throwing that offer in-between GW2 and MoP ain't smart.

And they're not really doing anything to stop people from leaving, just ensuring an influx of new players through F2P. That's a temporary solution at best.