Star Wars: The Old Republic Goes Free-to-Play

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Funny. When the game first came out a lot of people were taking bets on how long till it went free to play. Now we have the answer: Less than a year.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Still not interested, but maybe I'll take a shot at it if I'm bored sometime.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
nodlimax said:
major_chaos said:
This is a good thing from where I'm standing. the sooner MMOs move away from the bullshit monthly subscription model the better.
You do know that Freemium or "F2P"are usually more expensive than the Sub based MMOs? But the costs in these models are kind of hidden for the uneducated kind of people.
I understand what you're saying. On the flip side, if consumers wish to remain ignorant, it's on them.

Personally, freemium is always better for me since I rarely buy stuff anyway.

survivor686

Jan 15, 2012
rhizhim said:
survivor686 said:
So its Free to Play...but Pay to Win?
its always pay to win....
It also looks like its Pay to Enjoy. No access to dungeons or warzones unless you cough up the dough.

So everytime I want in, I have to pay? Or is it a one time payment?

What do they mean by customization? If I earn an armour piece, do I need to pay for it?

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
ahh, when i saw this i thought to myself - i gotta see the official forums
lo and behold - rage and butthurt as far as eye can see.
because giving an extra option always breaks everything. every f2p mmo ceases to exist one second after the transformation, and absolutely no f2p game is good. its like, there is this awesome game and *plop* its shite.
oh yeah, i tend to be sarcastic.

is it me or does it seems like "singleplayer is free, mmo you have to pay for"? because that sounds AWESOME.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
I love their forums at the moment. The most hilarious posts are the ones bitching that there will be more players. Really? I mean, REALLY? Did these decerebrates miss the rejoicing when the server merges let people play with other players again?

OMG! They will be 12 year old smacktards! Well, one, yes, many online games have those, including TOR right now. They won't be allowed into High level content without paying, so, assuming that you bothered to level your toons, HOW WOULD THAT CHANGE ANYTHING? Two, does it occur to these morons that this means more of a market on the AH for the lower tier stuff that never sells?

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
It seems a lot of people are misinformed here. There's only going to be an option added to play the game for free, with aforementioned restrictions. For people already paying the subscription fee nothing changes except you get lots more free vanity stuff.

It's this easy: you play for free and if you like it you pay the subscription to get access to the full game. You can view the free version as a sort of demo version. I think it's a good idea and I will keep playing like I am now. Unless they do actually go pay 2 win, then I'm outta there.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]So I probably wont be able to play as a green human, a blue human, grey human, or a human with bits of metal taped to their face. I can live with that.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between an operation and a flashpoint is? There's so many silly names for everything, is any of it single player stuff?

It's strange that they are adding a 4th kind of currency. From what little I've seen in the free trial, there's regular money, social points, and commendations. Social points cover the Leia bikini and things like that as far as I know, so why don't they just sell those?
Assuming your familiar with WoW terminology, operations are Raids, and flashpoints are Heroics.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this, hopefully the warzone limit is reasonably high, and not something insulting like 5 per week. Huttball is really the only reason i would go back to that game. The only other one i see on there that I potentiall have an issue with is limited access to the fast travel system. Depending on what they mean by that could be very very bad. TOR's environments are massive with loads and loads of empty space between the actual usefull areas on any given planet. Any meaningful restriction on using the games transportation system is going ot significantly degrade the leveling grind. Even more than it already was.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Marshall Honorof said:
While free players will have access to each class's full storyline all the way up to Level 50, options such as race, warzones (PVP arenas), flashpoints (group dungeons), and space missions will be restricted - although not unavailable - for them.
Hmm...I might try it, then. I hate what they've done to the KotOR lore (especially KotOR II), but I always enjoyed those games' gameplay. This pretty much says they'll let me have everything I want (basically the single-player stuff) and just lock out or limit everything I don't want. Hell...could you lock out my ability to see other players in-game period? I'd rather they just not even be there.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
PercyBoleyn said:
OniaPL said:
League of Legends disagrees.
But League of Legends is pay to win.
If League of Legends is pay to win then Dragon Age 2 didn't suck and was the sequel Origin deserved.

And we both know that is not the case.
League of Legends is not anywhere near pay to win. It has one of the best and most fair microtransaction systems (even while I think that many champ are too costy).

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
neonit said:
is it me or does it seems like "singleplayer is free, mmo you have to pay for"? because that sounds AWESOME.
I'm with you on that one. Too bad you can still SEE other people with their stupid non-RP names (DarthVadorrr, LeiaBewbs, MalRenalds, things like that).

The real problem with MMOs is the MM part.

Velimirius

May 1, 2006
Are EA participating in these London2012 OL? Cuz if they do then they deserve golden medal for breaking world record.

Under a year... good job!

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
PercyBoleyn said:
OniaPL said:
League of Legends disagrees.
But League of Legends is pay to win.
I was unaware that buyin heroes with real money that can be earned in game counted as pay to win. At best it is pay to get there faster. If you happen to like to play a one of the cheaper people then you're set after the first few matches. After that the only thing money buys you is cosmetic looks for your character.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
PercyBoleyn said:
OniaPL said:
Serious as a bag of potatoes.

Please explain your reasoning to why it sucks.
Yeah I'm not going to get baited. Have a good one.
So you mean that you want any reason to hate the game but can't validate your hatred.
Man, I don't even like the game and can see that you're just being silly.