Star Wars: The Old Republic Goes Free-to-Play

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Good news for all of us who love the game single-player or co-op with a friend or two... but hate MMOs in general.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
PercyBoleyn said:
hazabaza1 said:
Well then, please explain your point so I can correct my grievous error.
That's a red herring. If you want to engage in a reasonable discussion please stop using fallacies.
Well excuse me for wanting an explanation when not being provided one.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
well I guess it's time to pick it up for a month before GW2 comes out. Or should I not even bother? I have a ton of other games that need playing too....

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
PercyBoleyn said:
hazabaza1 said:
Well then, please explain your point so I can correct my grievous error.
That's a red herring. If you want to engage in a reasonable discussion please stop using fallacies.
Well excuse me for wanting an explanation when not being provided one.
I'm about 95% certain he's just trollin. Report it and move on like I did.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
So the only remotely interesting part, the singleplayer stories, are free, while the generic and grind-tastic space combat, pvp and auction juggling are the parts they lock you out of.

Only EA could design a free to play model where the stick is the carrot and the carrot is the stick. A more pointless subscription system has not existed since Hellgate London.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
survivor686 said:
It also looks like its Pay to Enjoy. No access to dungeons or warzones unless you cough up the dough.

So everytime I want in, I have to pay? Or is it a one time payment?
You get a huge flashing popup after every boss, reading "INSERT COIN" in flashing golden letters.

On a more serious note though, according to the handy chart [http://www.swtor.com/free/features] from the news post, you get "limited weekly access". So you don't need to pay if you want to see the flashpoints for their story. If you want to grind some gear you'd have to pay though.
I guess it's gonna be something like a 3-day access pass.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Well, that was the last EA game I had.

After I saw their SW:TOR feature comparison chart, I had a popup in my head, reminding me about recent news of EA claiming that micro transactions are the future. Shortly followed by the memory of that recording in which Richitello talks about the idea of making us pay for ammunition.

This has never been this easy before.

Sub cancelled, game uninstalled, case closed.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Draconalis said:
Took less than a year...

Is that some kind of record?
I think that APB still holds that record.

That game went F2P in the same year. From summer to winter.

SWTOR Expansion to Free-to-Play Option - Frequently Asked Questions said:
If you are a player that wants unrestricted access, it is unlikely the Free-to-Play option will be appealing.
Sounds like the last minute subscription is a cash grab.

Alistair_Darkheart

Dec 20, 2010
For those like me who average about 6 - 8 hours a week for gaming, this is awesome, more so if you can purchase access to area's you wish to visit as you get to them.

For those that spend say 25+ hours a week gaming, a subscription may very well end out a better alternative if they choose to stick around for a few months then head off towards the next big thing.

Honestly wish more games would take a similar approach, allowing subscription to cover access to the entire game and allowing f2p players the ability to purchase what they wish of the game.

Al.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
SNCommand said:
Well, at least those who wanted Kotor III can try the singplayer for free now
That's what I'm excited for. I can't wait to get wifi in my new place since there is this and DC Universe Online (PS3 version) I'd like to play free. I really like this whole Free To Play thing.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
PercyBoleyn said:
OniaPL said:
League of Legends disagrees.
But League of Legends is pay to win.
You're gonna have to explain that one to me mate because I've been playing it for a long time and I have to say, its not a P2W setting. Now APB and DC Universe are definitely pay to win, but LoL has a very balanced and actually has a better free to play set up then most current MMOs.

I don't know where you're getting your opinions from, but please try to back them up in the future.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Free to play is not the death of an MMO - it's a new opportunity. Look at DC Universe Online; their profits soared by 700% according to an article on this very website (which I am too lazy to track down and cite at the moment).

More people will start playing SWTOR now and it may attract new subscribers who don't want merely limited access to the game. The flow chart is handy - and I see that lovers of PvP will be disappointed by a free account, but otherwise, I see no limit to character number to restriction to several fundamental mechanics.

I will continue to do as I've always done - pay for SWTOR when I can afford it. But now, I can play for free when I can't. It's very exciting. SWTOR is not the greatest MMO out there, but it is my favorite, and I look forward to seeing where it goes in the future.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
maddawg IAJI said:
PercyBoleyn said:
OniaPL said:
League of Legends disagrees.
But League of Legends is pay to win.
You're gonna have to explain that one to me mate because I've been playing it for a long time and I have to say, its not a P2W setting. Now APB and DC Universe are definitely pay to win, but LoL has a very balanced and actually has a better free to play set up then most current MMOs.

I don't know where you're getting your opinions from, but please try to back them up in the future.
I'll just quote this here since it combines everything in a neat little package.

First off, APB does not exist anymore and its supposed model was as F2P as LoL is currently, with you being able to literally buy gametime by playing, well similar at least, you pay a upfront fee to enter. APB Reloaded fails in that it gives Players the option to get very late-end equipment very early on, equipment which is by all reasons overpowered as fuck, the grenade launcher being a prime example. But the game fails on the "rental" system to begin with and the removal of tactical teamplay and experience to push more "twitch gameplay".

However DCUO is not Pay2Win at all, not even close. What you have to pay for is the DLCs, which give a new powerset, and with the latest 3 new raids if i recall correctly, do you have to buy them? Nope, but you can. and 10 Bucks at best every 3 Months if their plans hold up is pretty cheap considering. But even then, if i recall correctly all you miss out is said Raids and Tier Equipment, you dont lose out on PvP for example because the Gear is different, and you can get PvP Gear by getting marks from doing PvP, and even then you can play Heroes which means you do not even need any gear at all.

It really seems alot of People are mistaking Pay 2 Win for something entirely different. F2P Games operate under a very simple model, Investment. You can either invest your Time, therefore providing the paying players with opposition or teammembers, depending on the game, as well as a surge in activity of the playerbase, so the developer and by extension the publisher can boast about a larger Playerbase. Or you invest Money, which acts as the shortcut, meaning you get things easier and faster than someone who does not.

Pay 2 Win however is entirely different. That system has one option. Pay or lose. Warrock is a very good example. It has Guns you can purchase that can NOT be attained with normal gameplay, at all, ever. And they are so ridiculously overpowered that you HAVE TO buy them to even stand a chance against other People who already use them. Alot of other F2P Titles do get close to that, but you always have a chance, even a newbie fresh out of character creation can win against a veteran player with the latest gear. Might not happen often, but it does. With P2W however, it never will, because its essentially the equivalent of the Developer giving you the Cheat Tools for the game in exchange of cash.

Also Percy is obviously trolling because he has no arguement or discussion beyond "Its like that because i said so" as he refuses to cite examples or reasons as to why he percieves it as such.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
"Players want flexibility and choice. The subscription-only model presented a major barrier for a lot of people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic universe."

Translation:

"WE'RE GOING DOWN BITCHES!!!"

I wonder what will be "unrestricted" to returning players who played during the subscription period.