Star Wars: The Old Republic Might Be Heading to Macs

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Star Wars: The Old Republic Might Be Heading to Macs

Mac users may soon be able to join fight between the Jedi and Sith in BioWare's Star Wars MMORPG.

In a recent interview with Joystiq, BioWare label leads Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka both hinted that Mac users may soon be able to fly off to a galaxy far, far away and join the million plus gamers already battling it out in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

"We know there's a big Mac audience of BioWare fans." Muzyka said, when asked about BioWare's plans for after the release of The Old Republic. "We know that's an important and large audience. And we want to serve that audience."

In the past, BioWare has ported over previous titles of its games to the Mac, including its previous Star Wars title Knights of the Old Republic and most recently Dragon Age: Origins. With several other major MMOs such as World of Warcraft and Eve Online already sporting versions for both PC and Mac platforms, it would be a smart move for BioWare to try to be as inclusive as possible with its latest big project.

"That's definitely one of the things we're looking at next." Zeschuck stated about a Mac version of The Old Republic. "We want to get this launch under our belt and everything stabilized and happy, and then we'll look at other platforms, and that's obviously one of the first ones."

While no specific release has been set, BioWare's intent to expand the game into that market undoubtly will lead to speculation as to if Mac users will have access to exclusive in-game items such as the iBlaster or iHolocommunicator.

Source: Joystiq [http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/]

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
I mean more access to more people is great an all but you can install it now. It's better to play games on bootcamp/windows then it is on osx anyway.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Dragon Age II came out on Mac as well. I'm getting a new computer this year anyway, though. I really wish I could smack the 2008 me in the face for deciding to get a Macbook Pro. Since then, I discovered PC gaming and have been staring longingly at the exclusives (mostly old games found on GoG.com).

I do get TF2. Since they've made that available on Macs, I have 400 hours logged. Yikes. But so many yummy flare gun kills...

I've decided to play The Old Republic when I get the chance. I'll probably do it sporadically, playing through one class' story and then cancelling my subscription until I feel ready to start on another class. I just wish they didn't retcon the Exile as much as it seems they have (based on the Revan novel and what I've heard about TOR).

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Dragon Age II came out on Mac as well. I'm getting a new computer this year anyway, though. I really wish I could smack the 2008 me in the face for deciding to get a Macbook Pro. Since then, I discovered PC gaming and have been staring longingly at the exclusives (mostly old games found on GoG.com).

I do get TF2. Since they've made that available on Macs, I have 400 hours logged. Yikes. But so many yummy flare gun kills...

I've decided to play The Old Republic when I get the chance. I'll probably do it sporadically, playing through one class' story and then cancelling my subscription until I feel ready to start on another class. I just wish they didn't retcon the Exile as much as it seems they have (based on the Revan novel and what I've heard about TOR).
Install windows on your mbp? Unless you mean the hardware isn't good enuf. My macbook games almost as good as my home machine.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
It is already out for macs, since mac users have been able to install Windows and do everything a normal PC can for the last 6 years, since the Intel switch (with about the same performance as a PC with similar hardware) :) The news is that it might be heading to OS X :)

(As for an MBP not being able to run The Old Republic, I can lay all fears to rest there. I've seen my friend's MacBook Pro run everything from Skyrim to The Old Republic to MW3 to the latest Assassin's Creed, all on high settings, with splendid framerates.)

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Richard Allen said:
DustyDrB said:

Install windows on your mbp? Unless you mean the hardware isn't good enuf. My macbook games almost as good as my home machine.
It's not worth it at this point. I don't even know if I can now, as my CD drive doesn't work. I spilled an entire cup of coffee over my computer last year (or late 2010, I should say now). It took out the drive and my "c" key. Don't you have to install an OS through the CD drive? Either way, I'm not spending any more money on this computer. When it dies, I just become a PC user (if I'm not already one by then).

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Richard Allen said:
DustyDrB said:

It's not worth it at this point. I don't even know if I can now, as my CD drive doesn't work. I spilled an entire cup of coffee over my computer last year (or late 2010, I should say now). It took out the drive and my "c" key. Don't you have to install an OS through the CD drive? Either way, I'm not spending any more money on this computer. When it dies, I just become a PC user (if I'm not already one by then).
You probably could get it to work but a better idea is to just take care of the damn thing =P

Maybe try an external drive? I don't know if that messes up the boot camp process (knowing apple it will only use the superdrive specifically) but it might be an easy way to make due for now. Actually installing windows with bootcamp is near trivial so it might be something for you to look in to? Just some food for thought.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
DustyDrB said:

As someone who was thinking the same thing before they bought a gaming PC, I can say that you will soon understand why you bought a mac.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Ayjona said:
It is already out for macs, since mac users have been able to install Windows and do everything a normal PC can for the last 6 years, since the Intel switch (with about the same performance as a PC with similar hardware) :) The news is that it might be heading to OS X :)

(As for an MBP not being able to run The Old Republic, I can lay all fears to rest there. I've seen my friend's MacBook Pro run everything from Skyrim to The Old Republic to MW3 to the latest Assassin's Creed, all on high settings, with splendid framerates.)
I can confirm. My low level 2 year old macbook pro runs skyrim fine.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
Wohoo! That's exactly what TOR needs right?
Even more customers to not listen too. Even more suspensions and bans to hand out because the programmers don't feel like writing an extra line of code to prevent low-leveled characters to access high-level zones and chests. Even more people to show that it's just WoW in space and nothing else.

Now, I play the game and I find it loads of fun. But I have so far been suspended for one week because I gave a friend some credits, so that he could buy the weapon he wanted, and for "camping" mobs.. It's not like I according to the quests HAD to kill 20 of those buggers? Nooooo, not at all! That would be insane! Then perhaps someone else would come along and have to wait for thirty seconds for respawns! THAT'S INSANITY!!!

I'm going to play the time I have paid for, then it's bye-bye TOR.
Sure, it's a new game, but it's not the bugs that make me rage. There are always bugs and I can deal with that without a problem. What I can't deal with is the god-awful community, the worst I've ever experienced. I can't deal with the fact that the GM's assigned to help with bugs and such have no grasp of the english language at all. I refuse to accept the fact that my friend got banned because he dropped the F-bomb in guild-chat ONCE.
I hate the fact that people actually have gotten suspended and banned because they have tried to help their friends by giving them items/credits that according to Bioware are not to be held by their friends because they havn't been of the correct level. Or people getting banned because they try to sell something at the auction house...

/rant

Like it is now the game is going the way of WAR which is really sad. So much potential, and actually a good game in core, it's just that Bioware can't run it for shit.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Richard Allen said:
You probably could get it to work but a better idea is to just take care of the damn thing =P

Maybe try an external drive? I don't know if that messes up the boot camp process (knowing apple it will only use the superdrive specifically) but it might be an easy way to make due for now. Actually installing windows with bootcamp is near trivial so it might be something for you to look in to? Just some food for thought.
I do have an external hard drive (it's about five years old, from when a 300GB one costed $120). But I'm more inclined to just wait until I get a better machine for gaming. I'd hate to spend money on a new OS, only to have this computer die soon after.

I've actually already started to look at parts to build my future gaming PC. I'll buy them piece by piece. It's a project I'm really looking forward to.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
tokae said:
Wohoo! That's exactly what TOR needs right?
Even more customers to not listen too. Even more suspensions and bans to hand out because the programmers don't feel like writing an extra line of code to prevent low-leveled characters to access high-level zones and chests. Even more people to show that it's just WoW in space and nothing else.

Now, I play the game and I find it loads of fun. But I have so far been suspended for one week because I gave a friend some credits, so that he could buy the weapon he wanted, and for "camping" mobs.. It's not like I according to the quests HAD to kill 20 of those buggers? Nooooo, not at all! That would be insane! Then perhaps someone else would come along and have to wait for thirty seconds for respawns! THAT'S INSANITY!!!

I'm going to play the time I have paid for, then it's bye-bye TOR.
Sure, it's a new game, but it's not the bugs that make me rage. There are always bugs and I can deal with that without a problem. What I can't deal with is the god-awful community, the worst I've ever experienced. I can't deal with the fact that the GM's assigned to help with bugs and such have no grasp of the english language at all. I refuse to accept the fact that my friend got banned because he dropped the F-bomb in guild-chat ONCE.
I hate the fact that people actually have gotten suspended and banned because they have tried to help their friends by giving them items/credits that according to Bioware are not to be held by their friends because they havn't been of the correct level. Or people getting banned because they try to sell something at the auction house...

/rant

Like it is now the game is going the way of WAR which is really sad. So much potential, and actually a good game in core, it's just that Bioware can't run it for shit.
Where is all of this going on? Like can you point to a forum post or something? I've been playing a week now and my guild has been very helpful in providing items and credits to me and none of us have been banned. I haven't even heard of this.

Edit: after reading up a bit it turns out you are just grossly exaggerating a situation.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Do it, do it dammit!

I really want to play this game, but I have a Mac and, sadly, I can't. I know I can get Bootcamp to play PC games, but I really don't want to.

Bioware if you like money, you will do this.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
brainslurper said:
As someone who was thinking the same thing before they bought a gaming PC, I can say that you will soon understand why you bought a mac.
Trust me, I understand it every time I use a different computer. Using a Mac is pretty hassle-free. That was a big selling point back in 2008 when I would just get frustrated and confused every time something went wrong on my previous computer. But now I'm willing to learn more about it, and I know better people to contact when I do need help than I did back then.

It'll most likely be a machine for just gaming. I'll get a netbook or tablet for work/school stuff.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
This begs the question, though ... WTF is wrong with BioWare that they pretty much ALWAYS release a Mac version eventually, but they NEVER co-develop it with the Windows version? Do they just LIKE wasting money and effort? Building software cross-platform from the ground up is MUCH more time- and cost-effective than building one version and then having to hack together another build later. Sure it might save some time and effort early in, but in the longer term it's inefficient.

I love BioWare's games (for the most part), but I've never understood this odd practice of theirs. It's short-sighted.

As much as I dislike certain aspects of Blizzard as a developer, at least they learned (after the initial Starcraft debacle) to co-develop. The practice has served them well.

coil

Apr 5, 2007
"iOS" and "MacOS" are two notably different operating systems. Somehow I doubt I'll be playing SWTOR on my iPhone any time soon. >_>

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
honestly, mac compatibility is way down there on the list of things that needs to be fixed with this game it runs better in boot-camp that it does on windows 7 apparently anyway

people that raid in swtor will likely know what i mean, the random blackscreens, error 9k's and flat out crashes are bad enough, but when you cant cast, move, get stuck in your ship, stand around in an empty battleground or simply get killed, instantly in a raid for no apparent reason it makes me wonder how they can even justify working on moving the most bugged game of the year onto another platform...

mind boggling.

and no, skyrim does not have more bugs
really!

i cant even use shadows because it randomly stops my right click working, and the high resolution textures are lost, for some reason that nobody can explain satisfactorily

but yah.. not a rant thread so ill be quiet now ^^

Spaec

Oct 23, 2009
coil said:
"iOS" and "MacOS" are two notably different operating systems. Somehow I doubt I'll be playing SWTOR on my iPhone any time soon. >_>
I was just going so write that. Article author, revise!
And yes, there'll probably be a Mac version. If EA smell enough money, that's what's coming.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
coil said:
I came here to post the same thing - I assume Bioware is talking about the Mac platform itself, not iOS, but the article seems to mix them up or assume they're synonymous.