Star Wars: The Old Republic - Rise of the Hutt Cartel Preview

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Star Wars: The Old Republic - Rise of the Hutt Cartel Preview

Rise of the Hutt Cartel expands on The Old Republic universe.

Read Full Article

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
As someone who has picked up the free game only last week and loves the immersive story so much he's considering subscribing... yay, more awesome story. Really, TOR has some of the best story writing in any MMO I've played so far and a level of immersion possibly greater than even the KOTOR series due to a bigger and wider setting.
Not that I'm gonna buy that expansion any time soon, I've got enough left to last me months as it is.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Quaxar said:
As someone who has picked up the free game only last week and loves the immersive story so much he's considering subscribing... yay, more awesome story. Really, TOR has some of the best story writing in any MMO I've played so far and a level of immersion possibly greater than even the KOTOR series due to a bigger and wider setting.
Not that I'm gonna buy that expansion any time soon, I've got enough left to last me months as it is.
I hear ya, but the issue is that most people playing an MMO aren't looking for that, and Bioware/EA were kinda banking on it. So those like you and me were satisfied, along with my friends. Most players were looking for PVP, end game content, or just something a lot different from WoW. You combine that with the endless hype the game got, and it was doomed to disappoint a lot of people.

I'll buy this, play it with my buddies... it's clear that the F2P model is doing well for them. Hoping they can keep up the decent content and patches for a long time coming.

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
Torn. The games alot of fun, the actual gameplay is enjoyable, the stories are fun (even if Republic side animations make everything seem slow as shit), but the lack of RP features outside of the set story i.e. chat bubbles, usable furniture etc really puts me off. Still, going to get this simply because being cartoon evil is too much fun, complaints aside.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Ooooh, I'd say I can't wait, but I haven't even finished everything I wanted to do in the original game O.O Better take a month off...

Bit disappointed that there won't be individual class stories, but then again, I'll rather do a great planet quest chain than a half-baked character arc that only lasts five levels.

Wait, is that a Krogan on that one picture??

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Slycne said:
accumulating 1.7 million subscribers in the first few weeks...

Since the change away from the subscription model, 4.5 million new characters have been created as have 2 million new accounts.
The trouble with these numbers is that they miss the important point - someone who creates an account is not a subscriber. It never had 1.7 million subscribers, it had 1.7 million sales. Most of them did not, in fact, subscribe and stopped playing once their initial time had run out, hence the sharp drop in "subscribers" as soon as people were actually required to subscribe. Similarly, 4.5 million characters and 2 million new accounts means nothing. It's a free game. The majority of those, like me, simply signed up to have a look, created a couple of characters, then deleted the game and never looked at it again. If EA want to claim the game is actually successful, they need to provide the number of regular paying customers. Anything else is just meaningless noise.

The studio has since adopted a new policy to establish an eight week minimum between updates
Because rushed development to meet a fixed schedule is something that's been working so well for EA, and Bioware in particular.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Hey, isn't this the expansion that has that so called 'gay planet' so that Bioware can proudly state that they are "an LGBT friendly organisation" and finally keep the promise that same gender romances will be include 'post launch' that they made in 2011?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
And what ever happened to adding new species? They even announced Cathars about a year ago and then nothing.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Now this is very cool. Makeb just looks fantastic. Really, this is what I had been hoping they would be doing all along anyway, where the game would constantly update with new planets and overhall the space combat and its missions as time goes on. And now that the transition from F2P has gone through and active accounts are on the rise again, I'm excited for what comes in the future for the game.

Can't wait for the next update where they add new races (preferably something a little less boring than the Cathar, yeah?).