Star Wars: The Old Republic's Smugglers Get Wookiee Companions

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Star Wars: The Old Republic's Smugglers Get Wookiee Companions

Becoming a smuggler in The Old Republic will reflect the life of Han Solo in every way possible.

Separate famous Star Wars smuggler Han Solo from his Wookiee companion Chewbacca, and you've got a smuggler that isn't nearly as cool. So where would the smugglers in BioWare's upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_5?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285521790&sr=8-5] be without Chewbaccas of their own? Somewhere, but thankfully they'll have a Wookiee friend named Bowdaar that tags along to make them cooler too.

BioWare has revealed that the Wookiee warrior will be a companion for the smuggler class in the game. Bowdaar is impressively said to fight "without the benefit of armor or weapons," and is so good that some call him an "immortal creature who can't be killed." He was enslaved as a child and forced into arena fighting, where he's won 10,000 matches in 108 years, including the besting of a Jedi.

The Old Republic's companion characters sound like a step up from pets in other MMOs. They have their own motives and opinions and can even introduce new quests, but players also have the ability to equip them with gear and activate special abilities. They'll tank, provide extra DPS, heal, and control crowds of enemies.

Bowdaar joins previously revealed companions that include a here [http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/biographies/vette]. I personally don't need to see it and knew my class choice once I heard the word "Wookiee."

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Not sure I like this. I mean I like the companion, but making him "immortal"? An immortal companion just seems like it would make the smuggler too powerful. I'm not sure about this.

Aratus

Feb 13, 2009
I dont think they mean he is literally immortal, just ridiculously hard to kill.

Looks cool, really lookin forward to this one comin out.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Pugiron said:
Gee how orroginal. If you play a bounty hunter do you have to wear Mandalorian armor? You ARE NOT PLAYING HAN SOLO. SOlo and Chewbacca won't even be born for a thousand years. One of the things that made Solo cool was he was the ONLY smuggler with a Wookie co-pilot! If you can't play the original, apeing him like a Bollywood Musical version of Star Wars is lame.
So much anger.
Chill out. It's an companion, optional one. You don't have to tag along with him nor any other. It's there to help people who like to play solo or can't be bothered to pug some group quest.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
BioWare has revealed that the Wookiee warrior will be a companion for the smuggler class in the game. Bowdaar is impressively said to fight "without the benefit of armor or weapons," and is so good that some call him an "immortal creature who can't be killed." He was enslaved as a child and forced into arena fighting, where he's won 10,000 matches in 108 years, including the besting of a Jedi.
That sounds really cool and all, until you realise that every other Smuggler out there can walk around with the same Wookie at his/her side.

They try really hard to make him special and cool, but it feels like they're forgetting that this is an MMO, not a singleplayer game. Things like this loose their impact a bit in an MMO.

Also, everyone who saw the Wookiee coming, please raise your hand.
VanityGirl said:
Not sure I like this. I mean I like the companion, but making him "immortal"? An immortal companion just seems like it would make the smuggler too powerful. I'm not sure about this.
Typical smuggler bravado, I bet a well aimed blaster shot would end that rumour. Or a well-aimed Force Lightening bolt in my case.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
Bioware is aware they are making an MMO, right? Everything I seen about this game implies otherwise.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
CUnk said:
Bioware is aware they are making an MMO, right? Everything I seen about this game implies otherwise.
It's an MMO done in the style of Bioware's single-player RPG's (to the best of my knowledge anyway). Every Bioware RPG has had companions that tag along with the main player, and this is no different.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Sigh, I wish that Bioware would go back and take some more inspiration from KOTOR again. Right now, TOR just looks like the Original Trilogy. So why not just make the game in the fucking OT? Do Star Wars fans really need to be guided along by the incredibly obvious OT references to realize that a game called Star Wars, is somehow related to Star Wars?

Apr 28, 2008
CUnk said:
It is an MMO. But each character class is their own KOTOR story.
If you play solo, you basically get eight KOTOR's.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Isn't one of the main draws of an MMO the fact that you can make a somewhat unique character? If every other smuggler has a wookie companion named Bowdarr wouldn't that defeat the "coolness" factor of it? I mean, it seems like they could've at least randomized his name/fur color.

CUnk said:
Exactly what I was thinking.

JeanLuc761 said:
It's an MMO done in the style of Bioware's single-player RPG's (to the best of my knowledge anyway). Every Bioware RPG has had companions that tag along with the main player, and this is no different.
I think his point was more that these companions seem to be more like those that you find in a single player game than those you find in an MMO.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Every smuggler will get the same companion? What are they thinking? Also, this is 3000 years before the movies, it has every damn right to be different.

Irridium said:
CUnk said:
It is an MMO. But each character class is their own KOTOR story.
If you play solo, you basically get eight KOTOR's.
Except that you don't make any difference in the game-world and therefore it will never be as engaging as KotOR.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Every smuggler with a Wookie companion will have a Wookie companion named Bowdaar? Yeah, I'm sure they'll all stand out among the crowd.

Having a Wookie companion is cool and all, but at least let people name them themselves, or give them a random name.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
CUnk said:
Thus, it will be the best MMO ever. It's like having a sports game that has nothing to do with sports, or a JRPG where all the characters can easily be classified as male or female.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I'm having a flashback to Knights of the Old Republic. More specifically, Mission Vao and Zaalbar. She's a Scoundrel class with a Wookiee friend (who is technically a Scout, but I digress). And Zaalbar can take a metric ton of damage - and deal about the same amount - before he's taken out.

*Similarity Checker starts pinging*