Star Wars: Tie Fighter - The Dark Side Has Cookies

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Star Wars: Tie Fighter - The Dark Side Has Cookies

Building off of the strong foundation of X-Wing, Tie Fighter delivers a deep space flight sim experience filled with exciting action and impressive nuance.

Read Full Article

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Question:
I own a DOS copy of Tie Fighter and tried it this summer. The lack of rebind-able keys or an independent z-axis for rolling drove me nuts. Does the later Windows version fix either of these issues?

Besides that, the game seemed incredible from the few missions I played. It's like if Descent: FreeSpace was made half a decade earlier.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Alt+T speeds up time to 2x and 4x which helps so much with those "waiting for someone to dock" missions.

Also there are built in cheat codes: menu options to turn off collision damage, infinite ammo, and make your ship invulnerable.

It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Tie fighter was amazing.
Even alliance only got close to capturing the spirit of the earlier title, falling a little short.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
It was one of my first games. I had so much fun with it back then and I had fun with it when gog.com brought it back.
For retro gamers: Go get it!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Tie Fighter had a lasting legacy for me before windows 95 came out. It created the perfect boot disk, with that disk any game would work and work quite well.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Mikeybb said:
Tie fighter was amazing.
Even alliance only got close to capturing the spirit of the earlier title, falling a little short.
Agreed. X-Wing Alliance's campaign was decent, but hellishly frustrating in places.
However, it had the benefit of Skirmish Scenario Mode, which I sank untold hours into.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Worgen said:
Tie Fighter had a lasting legacy for me before windows 95 came out. It created the perfect boot disk, with that disk any game would work and work quite well.
Agreed, it had the best boot disk of all time. God that makes me feel old... That and knowing how to use autoexec... wow. Memories, so many memories.

OT: I haven't seen the depth this game has in any other game since. While it wasn't open-world, it certainly had elements of choice and did not hold your hand or guide you in any way. I stumbled upon the bonus objectives quite by accident only because I refused to follow orders and return to base when the prompt came up. After I realized that sticking around and inspecting odd incidents or engaging fighters that hyped in after the main objective, I went back and played every mission I'd done before that over so I could experience the whole game.
I'd love to see depth of that nature come about again. I said once that there are no games I consider 10/10. Tie Fighter is the only game to get a 9.99 repeating score with me. I'd give it a 10/10 but VR didn't exist at the time and we've yet to get true force feedback simulators which would make this game a perfect 10... I guess since I'm basing that last .11 on missing technology, the game can get a perfect 10 for the tech available at the time since its not Lucasarts' fault for it not being invented.
Oh what the hell, this game over anything else would be an HD remake I would throw moneys at the monitor instantly if it were ever announced (as long as they don't try to make it more accessible).
And the other thing, I can't play the game without a Thrustmaster flight stick since thats what I used exclusively for the game for years until I broke a spring in it...

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
I would absolutely love to see a proper sequel for this. The simulator aspect of having dozens of controls at your fingertips, total freedom in mission, a story that's integrated into the gameplay itself, hours of content that never delves into padding and offers a pretty substantial variety of things to do, it was great. Most modern games would benefit big time from picking up a few things from it. In fact the only critique I can recall from when I played it was how easy it could be to create a blind spot on the big ships by shooting off a few of their guns, then sitting with full laser charge and blasting away at it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ah, Tie Fighter. Where do I even begin?

This game is a masterpiece. No other Star Wars game has immersed me so deeply in the setting. From the moment I first booted up the game in 1994, I knew I was in for something special. The sublime gameplay, the dynamic soundtrack (criminally missing from the 1998 re-release), the expanded voice acting in the 1995 Collector's CD-ROM version (dat sexy briefing officer voice), the huge variety of missions and craft, etc. It had it all.

Tie Fighter had a huge impact on my outlook on life as well. I was eight years old when I first played it, and the game opened my mind to concepts I hadn't seriously considered. In a franchise defined by its black and white "good vs. evil" mindset, Tie Fighter dared to be different by infusing "shades of grey" morality into its narrative. What's more, the game handled the concept with such maturity that I'm still amazed by it. I was sold immediately on its portrayal of the Empire through the eyes of a common soldier striving to safeguard the galaxy from terrorists, anarchists and traitors.

When I watched the films again years later, I found myself wondering if those countless Stormtroopers and Tie pilots killed in action had families they left behind, and whether or not they were really evil at heart. Tie Fighter made me realize that, when you remove the rhetoric and politics, most soldiers thrust into war are decent human beings, regardless of which side they're on. What an unexpected and wonderfully poignant statement for a game where Darth Vader is your wingman.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Also, the best part about Tie Fighter is you don't need to be a wuss and hide behind shields. Tie Interceptor all the way.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Great review except when you kept referring to the Empire as the bad guys instead of the rebels. It's a great game where you play it from the side of the good guys instead of X-wing which had you as the stupid rebels.

Mar 30, 2010
What can be said about this game?

Buy it. Buy it now.

Such an awesome game. I played X-Wing pretty much to death as a kid and then TIE-Fighter came along and trumped it in every possible department (plus we got to play as the 'bad' guys which is always a draw for us Brits).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wish I had a flight stick so I could play these games. From what I have read, if you don't have one then you shouldn't bother.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Great review except when you kept referring to the Empire as the bad guys instead of the rebels. It's a great game where you play it from the side of the good guys instead of X-wing which had you as the stupid rebels.
Indeed, someday we'll bring those rebal scums to justice!

For the Empire!!

OT: Ah I remember playing this back in the day at my mates, I played this before xwing and boy was it awesome. Made me open my eyes on how things are a matter of perspective, it was the first piece of media that I had experienced where i was put onto the other side to see their perspective on the situation which was previously a clear good vs evil story.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I think that piloting a Tie Fighter has more challenge than piloting an X-Wing. Mainly because Tie Fighters have no shields! Dogfight like a boss! (because that's the only way you'll return home)