Star Wars VII Gets Official Release Date

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars VII Gets Official Release Date

Star Wars: Episode VII will hit theaters on December 18th, 2015.

On the off chance you were wondering what the biggest, most important day of 2015 was going to be, we can actually provide a concrete answer for you: December 18th. Now, you'll probably ask us why? Why is this one day dead smack in the middle of the Christmas shopping season (easily the year's darkest time) such a big deal? What sets it apart from the other 364 sun cycles of that year? We have four simple worlds to answer that question: Star Wars: Episode VII.

Lucasfilm and Disney, in one fell swoop, have transformed this humble day into an event with the confirmation that it will be the release date for J.J. Abrams new Star Wars film. According to Disney, the December 18th date will serve the dual roles of "[anchoring] the holiday filmgoing season" as well as "[ensuring] our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture." The latter part was likely a response to concerns stoked by Disney CEO Bob Iger's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129229-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Its-2015-Or-Bust-Says-Disneys-CEO>recent refusal to push the film back to 2016 to allow for a lengthier production.

Regardless of whether or not Episode VII winds up having the time it needs to be the fantastic film fans want, a December release date could, in some ways, be a prudent move on the part of Disney. While there is little doubt that the movie will do well at the box office, a winter release will allow it to avoid competition with the many other blockbuster films likely to come out during the summer season. Likewise, with many often taking time off around the holidays, it could find itself privy to a larger pool of people with nothing better to do than going to see the new Star Wars. Suffice it to say, we'll be among those ranks.

Source: <a href=http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-to-open-december-18-2015.html>Star Wars

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
To quote Han Solo: I have a bad feeling about this. How about making a good product not going for lots of products!

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Is this a savvy marketing move or not? On the one hand there aren't many decent movies coming out, but on the other hand, many people will want to watch some of the dreck that normally comes out on christmas which could cut into their sales.

bunnykinodeath

Jul 3, 2011
December the 18th is not a humble day. Why? Because December the 18th is my birthday! Looks like my birthday party theme is sorted out. On the other hand, if this film is rubbish, then my birthday is ruined!

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
To quote a certain light red equine, I'm so nervouscited!

That blurb about refusing to delay the film has me feeling uneasy. I'd rather wait a bit longer if it means a better quality movie, particularly if it's from my favorite childhood franchise. On the other hand, the original Star Wars had extreme time constraints imposed on it on account of numerous setbacks, and look how well it turned out.

kailus13 said:
Is this a savvy marketing move or not? On the one hand there aren't many decent movies coming out, but on the other hand, many people will want to watch some of the dreck that normally comes out on christmas which could cut into their sales.
Eh, this is Star Wars we're talking about. It's going to make mad bank no matter what day of the year it's released.

Balmong7

Apr 9, 2010
I don't know how I feel about the release date being set before shooting even starts. What if they need more time? I mean they already asked for more time once. I feel like there is a good chance we will be getting an incomplete movie.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
bunnykinodeath said:
December the 18th is not a humble day. Why? Because December the 18th is my birthday! Looks like my birthday party theme is sorted out. On the other hand, if this film is rubbish, then my birthday is ruined!
What if it's just sort of "Meh"?
Neverhoodian said:
Eh, this is Star Wars we're talking about. It's going to make mad bank no matter what day of the year it's released.
It's being made by J.J.Abrams though, which puts some people off for some reason.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe it will be the Star Wars Christmas Special 2? I'm suprised they didn't set the date earlier so that kids would have more time to demand their parents buy them a Master Binks Jedi action figure with real lightsaber sounds.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
the doom cannon said:
So they have a release date. Did they even finish the script yet?
They were told they had to release it by 31/12/15 or it was not going to happen, since then they've probably had a Hollywood statistics guy work out for them the very latest date in 2015 they can release with high attendance openings because of all the December holidays.

And that is probably how they came up with 18th. It probably has nothing to do with how far they actually are with the movie/script.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I'll be damn sure that I'm in work that day then. I still don't see this having a decent story, but I might be wrong.

If patterns follow, we'll have a whole new generation of angry Star Wars fans on the internet. The older gen were annoyed by Eps 1, 2 & 3. So theoretically, the people who liked eps 1, 2 & 3 will have to hate the new three movies. As will the "old guard" who grew up with Eps 4, 5 & 6 as they're now known.

sinsfire

Nov 17, 2009
wooty said:
As will the "old guard" who grew up with Eps 4, 5 & 6 as they're now known.
I'm confused by the statement "as they're now known" 4, 5, and 6 have always been 4, 5, and 6. It said so right in the opening scroll, "Episode IV: A New Hope" etc. Why would they just now be called 4, 5, and 6. Or am I missing some new lingo since I stopped paying attention the clusterf*ck that is about to land at the end of 2015 (apparently).

OT: Seriously, did they finish the script? what is JJ going to use for his latest mystery box ploy that everyone is going to know ahead of time.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
We know how Disney does it.

After several years, if not decades, they find an old franchise, then give it a half-hearted revival with a direct-to-dvd sequel and it's shit, and you'll never look at the original the same way. Lilo and Stitch, Lady and The Tramp, Mulan, the list goes on.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Star Wars. Yeah, it's getting a theatre release, but.. I still don't have a good feeling about it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
sinsfire said:
wooty said:
I'm confused by the statement "as they're now known" 4, 5, and 6 have always been 4, 5, and 6. It said so right in the opening scroll, "Episode IV: A New Hope" etc. Why would they just now be called 4, 5, and 6. Or am I missing some new lingo since I stopped paying attention the clusterf*ck that is about to land at the end of 2015 (apparently).
I was more thinking that when the original 1977 Star Wars was released, it wouldn't of been called Episode 4, seeing as it was the first one out. I assume the originals only received the numbers 4,5 & 6 once The Phantom Menace was released. But I might be wrong/too young to remember.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
wooty said:
I'll be damn sure that I'm in work that day then. I still don't see this having a decent story, but I might be wrong.

If patterns follow, we'll have a whole new generation of angry Star Wars fans on the internet. The older gen we're annoyed by Eps 1, 2 & 3. So theoretically, the people who liked eps 1, 2 & 3 will have to hate the new three movies. As will the "old guard" who grew up with Eps 4, 5 & 6 as they're now known.
Your missing one generation. What about the fans who grew up with The Clone Wars TV series? If its good or bad I'm gonna brace myself for impact. If its good I have to deal with fanboys saying that J.J. "saved the franchise" and we'll have more George Lucas stake burnings and prequel trilogy trashings again which was all totally and completely unwarranted. If its bad I'll just have to brace for the full force of round 2 fanboy hate that came with the prequels that I actually wasn't even aware of until I was older.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
wooty said:
sinsfire said:
wooty said:
I was more thinking that when the original 1977 Star Wars was released, it wouldn't of been called Episode 4, seeing as it was the first one out. I assume the originals only received the numbers 4,5 & 6 once The Phantom Menace was released. But I might be wrong/too young to remember.
No he released Empire under the moniker of 5. He didn't expect to get that sequel in the first place. Star Wars was just gonna be a one off. Still after its huge success he decided to build a bigger world and made those movie 4,5, and 6. That's putting it very very very simply.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
*The Movie Guy Voice* In a world enslaved by mouseketeer hat wearing corporate monsters, one man will race against the sands of time to try to save an entire universe from the brink of destruction. You'll tremble in suspense at the reveal of wannabe and never was actors who will join our intrepid hero on his journey. You'll cheer with joy at the news a shooting script has finally been prepared. You'll scream in horror when you finally see the absolute clusterfuck a film becomes when you hire a director known for stories with mysteries that never pay off and plot points that tend to go nowhere, and then force him to finish a film with a gun to his head. You'll weep with frustration at yet another missed opportunity to bring a beloved fiction universe back from the dead. True Star Wars fans, prepare your anus for the ride of a lifetime. It's ... who really gives a fuck at this point... In 3D