Star Wars: X-Wing - Lock Your S-Foils in the Awesome Position

Mar 30, 2010
senordesol said:
Bat Vader said:
It's cool that they re-released it and all but I would love it if they re-did it with modern graphics. I like to play older games but anything beyond Baldur's Gate is a cutoff point.
Seconded. I have fond memories, but it would look insane with a modern face lift...hopefully the modders are on it.
Oh, c'mon. The game has great mechanics, a great setting, great story and great pacing. Who in the hell cares how the game looks by today's standards? It's still the same game underneath it all. If you enjoy the game for the game then the graphics don't matter, and if you don't enjoy a game without all the pretties why the hell are you playing it?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
senordesol said:
Bat Vader said:
It's cool that they re-released it and all but I would love it if they re-did it with modern graphics. I like to play older games but anything beyond Baldur's Gate is a cutoff point.
Seconded. I have fond memories, but it would look insane with a modern face lift...hopefully the modders are on it.
It would be a beautiful sight.

Grouchy Imp said:
senordesol said:
Bat Vader said:
Oh, c'mon. The game has great mechanics, a great setting, great story and great pacing. Who in the hell cares how the game looks by today's standards? It's still the same game underneath it all. If you enjoy the game for the game then the graphics don't matter, and if you don't enjoy a game without all the pretties why the hell are you playing it?
Most times graphics don't matter to me but this is one time where they do. The graphics are just a little outdated for me.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Kontarek said:
I've never had a chance to play X-Wing or Tie Fighter before, so I'm pretty strongly considering grabbing them now that they're available. Does anyone have a recommendation for a flight stick though? I can't imagine having to use the mouse for this.
The stick StewShearer got is actually fine, if basic. If you are willing to spend a bit more these are all good sticks:
http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Stick-Flight-PC/dp/B000U1OOH4/ref=pd_cp_e_1
http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Playstation-3/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=pd_cp_e_2
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extreme-Joystick-Silver-Black/dp/B00009OY9U/ref=pd_cp_e_0

If money is absolutely no issue there are nicer (and vastly more expensive) sticks, but those are more aimed at fans of hardcore realistic flight sims not space dogfighters, although you could use them. Avoid the Cyborg FLY series from madcatz, they break when looked at aggressively.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Kontarek said:
I've never had a chance to play X-Wing or Tie Fighter before, so I'm pretty strongly considering grabbing them now that they're available. Does anyone have a recommendation for a flight stick though? I can't imagine having to use the mouse for this.
Seconding this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extreme-Joystick-Silver-Black/dp/B00009OY9U/ref=pd_cp_e_0

I own it, and I can't think of a reason for a "better" joystick, and every reason to not get something less than this. It gives you more than enough buttons to assign in the games that let you (like Freespace) and has the throttle and twist functions as well. Really, you can't go wrong with this guy.

So I started playing X Wing again. I loaded my old copy up with Dosbox. The graphics are something to get used to again, but overall, I'm happy to be back in the cockpit again.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
I killed two mice playing X-Wing, then broke down and spent $100+ on a Flightstick Pro to play a game I spent $50 playing. Yikes.

I recall one harrowing mission early in the B-Wing campaign, defending the prototype B-Wings as they flew agonizingly slow from their docks to the mother ship while being assaulted. I was so messed up early on, structure in the red, low energy state, I zoned into "Everybody dies, BUT YOU FIRST IMPERIAL DOGS!" state where I just wanted to inflict maximum damage before becoming space junk. After a 20 minute death grip on the joystick, the mission was over. Mission success would be 50% of the B-Wings making it. They all made it.

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Thurston said:
I killed two mice playing X-Wing, then broke down and spent $100+ on a Flightstick Pro to play a game I spent $50 playing. Yikes.

I recall one harrowing mission early in the B-Wing campaign, defending the prototype B-Wings as they flew agonizingly slow from their docks to the mother ship while being assaulted. I was so messed up early on, structure in the red, low energy state, I zoned into "Everybody dies, BUT YOU FIRST IMPERIAL DOGS!" state where I just wanted to inflict maximum damage before becoming space junk. After a 20 minute death grip on the joystick, the mission was over. Mission success would be 50% of the B-Wings making it. They all made it.
Amen. X-Wing defined against-the-odds video gaming for me (as well as joystick related hand cramp). I became so bloody minded and determined not to let the rebel alliance down. I think only Ace Combat Fires of Liberation, Red Baron, and US Navy Fighters came close to replicating that feeling of desperation. The console generation hasn't seen the depth of gameplay that used to be on offer in air/space combat, which is a shame because I stopped PC gaming about 6 years ago. Or is that the sweet voice of nostalgia clouding my judgement?

Mar 30, 2010
Bat Vader said:
Grouchy Imp said:
senordesol said:
Bat Vader said:
Most times graphics don't matter to me but this is one time where they do. The graphics are just a little outdated for me.
Well, to each their own. Personally, I remember watching the X-Wing intro sequence for the first time and being blown away by how good it looked.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
When I got the first Rogue Squadron novel I laughed at the very first couple pages.

The author felt my pain. I HATED the Redemption Scenario with a passion. Now I get to subject myself to that again. Oh the wonders.

(By the way, if you like Star Wars or this game I recommend the novels. Stackpole and Allston took a pulp video game based concept and knocked it out of the park.)

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Jhereg42 said:
When I got the first Rogue Squadron novel I laughed at the very first couple pages.

The author felt my pain. I HATED the Redemption Scenario with a passion. Now I get to subject myself to that again. Oh the wonders.

(By the way, if you like Star Wars or this game I recommend the novels. Stackpole and Allston took a pulp video game based concept and knocked it out of the park.)
Seconded all of this. Even the Expanded Universe pilots loathe that mission. In another book in the series they test some new pilots by pitting them against a deliberately impossible sim (without telling them that it's any different from the other ones they've been running) to see how they react to failure and the simulated deaths of all their comrades. They kill like 50 TIE Fighters before getting swarmed and slaughtered.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
What is the Redemption Scenario? Is that the training mission where you recreate rescuing Admiral Ackbar?