Starbound's 1.2 "Vault" Update Adds a Bunch of New Content

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Starbound's 1.2 "Vault" Update Adds a Bunch of New Content

Starbound's Vault Update adds procedural dungeons, bosses, and the ability for players to terraform planets.

Starbound [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/starbound] came out of early access for its full 1.0 release this year, but that doesn't mean that developer Chucklefish is done with it. A recent patch has updated the game to version 1.2, bringing with it a wealth of new features and bug fixes. Check out the video to the right for the short and skinny of it, or read on for the most major changes:

Ancient Vaults
Players who have completed the main storyline can visit a mysterious trader on the Outpost who will send them on a quest to activate and enter the Ancient Gateways found floating in some systems
These gateways provide access to Ancient Vaults: challenging procedural dungeons left by the ancients, filled with dangerous guardians (including procedural bosses!) and fantastic lost technologies
Terraforming
Using powerful devices acquired from the Ancient Vaults along with a new Essence currency, you can now transform regions or whole planets into entirely different biomes
Terraformers can be used to expand a region across a planet's surface, replacing natural blocks, objects and plant life, and eventually changing the type of the planet itself
Microformers are consumable single-use terraformers which provide even more region types to add to your worlds
Weapon Upgrades
Use the ancient anvil available at the end of Ancient Vaults and spend Essence to upgrade your outdated legendary weapons, opening up many new options for endgame combat styles
Elemental Damage
Monsters now have resistance and weakness to elemental damage types, making your choice of weapons more important than ever
Holiday Spirit!
Celebrate the holidays with the variety of festive items bought from Space Santa at the Outpost!

You can check out the full patch notes right here [http://playstarbound.com/starbound-vault-update/].

Source: Chucklefish [http://playstarbound.com/starbound-vault-update/]

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Yay, more procedural shit after you bore yourself to death through the whole main game and no better weapon variety.
Just what I wanted from the game.

So they did nothing worthwhile with the update. Nothing surprising from Chucklfish.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I put money down to buy this instead of Terraria so...is my investment worth it yet or am I still in the realm of, "I have misspent my money"? It looks like this update is a pretty damn good one though so I'm excited to re-download this game.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Shoggoth2588 said:
I put money down to buy this instead of Terraria so...is my investment worth it yet or am I still in the realm of, "I have misspent my money"? It looks like this update is a pretty damn good one though so I'm excited to re-download this game.
It depends on what you're looking for, but my money is on Terraria. Starbound did some neat, new things, but it's just 2d minecraft with a better combat system. Terraria is a game with crafting and building mechanics separate from what makes the game great. Terraria is Metroid where you can set up your boss arenas to your liking while starbound lets you build undersea labs because they are cool.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Signa said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
...while starbound lets you build undersea labs because they are cool...
FUCKING SOLD! Oh wait, I already bought it~FUCKING RE-INSTALLED! Building random things underwater is what got me into playing Minecraft in the first place and while I would probably have a lot more freedom and maybe more fun if I just finally spent money to do THAT I have no issue settling for underwater building projects in 2D as a robot.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Shoggoth2588 said:
Signa said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
...while starbound lets you build undersea labs because they are cool...
FUCKING SOLD! Oh wait, I already bought it~FUCKING RE-INSTALLED! Building random things underwater is what got me into playing Minecraft in the first place and while I would probably have a lot more freedom and maybe more fun if I just finally spent money to do THAT I have no issue settling for underwater building projects in 2D as a robot.
Sounds like you made the right choice then. Still, if you find yourself enjoying the adventure/exploring/progression aspects of Starbound and wanting them more fleshed out, you know where to go ;)

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
Terraria has gigantic boss battles and bazillion loot to crush your enemies.

It's fun to go from a weakling who fends off zombies with a twig while trying to survive at nights to the master of your own domain who utterly destroys monstrous towering abominations with ease.

But once you've seen it all there is nothing much left to do.

Starbound has a lot of different things going on, maybe the loot and bossfights aren't that overwhelming like in Terraria, but I just murdered the inhabitants of an airship, looted it, and going to rebuild it as a steampunk flying fortress on a magma planet, so there is that.

Plus it has mod support.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
Unless you're excited about the planet bosses in Terraria (I always found them to be a nuisance getting in the way of my mining and building), Starbound has much more to do, the combat is better, some of the bosses are pretty creative, and it's under active development.

I've been in with Starbound from early access, to the year when it looked like the game was a completely abandoned and a writeoff, to the revival, to now - I've beaten it from scratch least 6 times and it's always different and interesting. I sure as hell got my $10 worth.

Still, at some point you should pick up Terraria for $5.