Starcraft 2 Prophecy mission. How many did you kill?

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Ok, trying to avoid spoilers there is a mission in Starcraft 2 where you are expected to hold out in your base and kill as many of enemies as you can.
The specific mission is this one:

The final Zeratul Prophecy mission against the hybrids

So, having to kill a certain amount of units, I want to know, how many did you kill?
If you've played the mission, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I played it on hard mode and I did very well, killing 3024 enemies.

(If you want to ask me how I did it -like if you're struggling with the mission or want a better score- then feel free to ask me what I did)

I think I did pretty well, but I only have my experience to judge from, how many did you all kill?

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
I just barely managed to kill over the required 2000 on Hard. I relied on possibly one of the cheesiest strategies ever.

A wall of Dark Templar guarding each entrance using the Hold Position command to make sure no enemies could walk past, with some Colossi and Phoenixes to deal damage. That worked well for a time. But then they started bringing detectors and making Nydus worms appear past the DT walls
I had about 12 Warp Gates, 4 Robotics Facilities, and 4 Stargates.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
After i passed the 2000 mark i was so bored i threw the game on purpose, seemed like i could have kept it going until i was out of resources. Was on normal though, haven't tried hard yet.

Jhuoho

May 20, 2009
I played it on hard, and I was able to get the +250 achievement, and survived a bit longer, but not the +750 achievement. So, I figure I killed about 2500 or so. (I didn't see the exact number)

My strategy was
I basically put everyone in a single group, and then split them in half for group 2 and 3. Whenever a side was being attacked, I spammed everything over there, and when two were hit at the same time, I'd send 2 and 3, splitting my forces. While doing that, I built 4 more gateways, turned them into warp gates, and I spammed Dark Templars, Immortals, and Void Rays until my resources ran out. When the archive finished being protected (YES!!) for the bonus achievement thing, I sent everyone to hold the high ground until they got overrun because I couldn't replenish my forces.

Sorry if the achievements are a spoiler, but if you own the game, you can see every achievement in the menus, even of missions you haven't played yet, so it's a grey area spoiler-wise I guess lol.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Jhuoho said:
I played it on hard, and I was able to get the +250 achievement, and survived a bit longer, but not the +750 achievement. So, I figure I killed about 2500 or so. (I didn't see the exact number)

My strategy was
I basically put everyone in a single group, and then split them in half for group 2 and 3. Whenever a side was being attacked, I spammed everything over there, and when two were hit at the same time, I'd send 2 and 3, splitting my forces. While doing that, I built 4 more gateways, turned them into warp gates, and I spammed Dark Templars, Immortals, and Void Rays until my resources ran out. When the archive finished being protected (YES!!) for the bonus achievement thing, I sent everyone to hold the high ground until they got overrun because I couldn't replenish my forces.

Sorry if the achievements are a spoiler, but if you own the game, you can see every achievement in the menus, even of missions you haven't played yet, so it's a grey area spoiler-wise I guess lol.
The strategy that got me my score

was to Get many immortals that can absorb damage from the melee hybrids. I kept on having a fairly full que of Zealots and I built Mass Colossi. When Warp rays were unlocked I started massing them, hardly any immortals had died and I was still making colossi.

Having Immortals as tanks really makes a big difference as the Hybrid Reavers do a lot of damage to you. Also, I got full upgrades for my units, that really helps later on.

When I was getting supply blocked later in the game and I had no where to build extra pylons I massed Cannons alla round my base on the high ground. They helped slow any advance. Slowly though, I was wittled away and eventually died.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'm actually on this mission and figured I'd mass the Colossi and Void whatevers when I get them. I failed at first because my Colossi keep getting wasted each wave and they got past when I wasn't paying attention and destroyed the archive. Stupid archive. I'll have to try again later.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
I barely won that mission. About 1650 is what I killed. I almost failed a few times, but I played on hard though.

EDIT: And it's not like it felt like you "won" it. >.>

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
2700 on hard, relied on 4 colossi, the only VR and carriers I had where the ones already given to me by the mission, used immortals as frontal tanks with mass of stalkers behind, cheap units with high dmg output with upgrades ftw.

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
I was 100 short of the +750 achievement on Normal without any real form of strategy. Used a crap load of photon cannons since I had so much extra minerals, though. Man, when that mission ended, it was a weird feeling.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Roughly 1750. After 45 mins of impenetrable defense, I was so bored I had my units kill eachother so I could move on.

Not to say it wasn't epic or anything, because it totally was, but I just wanted to progress through the story.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
I think it was something like 1760, after I was done with the 1500 I killed all of my units and warped in a 100 dark templars just for fun. They did pretty good for themselves... untill they brought in detectors and shit, then it took 10 secs and all their supermegamutatedhybridultralisks (a billion of them) or whatever killed them

Mr.Black

Oct 27, 2009
The Phoenix's gravitation beam thingy is invaluable in locking down both types of hybrids. I had shit for defense and lasted until 2300 because of Phoenix's.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
LetalisK said:
I'm actually on this mission and figured I'd mass the Colossi and Void whatevers when I get them. I failed at first because my Colossi keep getting wasted each wave and they got past when I wasn't paying attention and destroyed the archive. Stupid archive. I'll have to try again later.
Get immortals for sure. For a system to follow, build a colossus in one Robotics facility and an immortal in the other. The immortals really soak up a lot of damage from the Hybrid reavers which otherwise will tear up your colossi.

Warp rays are also really good for the hybrid units, and if you really want to get micro-intensive build Phoenixes and use gravitational beam (or whatever it's called) on the melee hybrids.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Last Bullet said:
I was 100 short of the +750 achievement on Normal without any real form of strategy. Used a crap load of photon cannons since I had so much extra minerals, though. Man, when that mission ended, it was a weird feeling.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Shockolate said:
Roughly 1750. After 45 mins of impenetrable defense, I was so bored I had my units kill eachother so I could move on.

Not to say it wasn't epic or anything, because it totally was, but I just wanted to progress through the story.
I had to kill 2000, were you playing on a difficulty less than hard?

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Shockolate said:

I'm quite certain you pass 1750 at around 30 minutes. I could be wrong, but I'm not.

No way you were there 45 minutes, anyway.

OT:
I got around 2k on normal.
No particular strategy, apart from a group of 10 colossi patrolling the gap between each side entrance.
I was fucked when they started spawning worms at the high-ground base.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
s0denone said:
I'm quite certain you pass 1750 at around 30 minutes. I could be wrong, but I'm not.

No way you were there 45 minutes, anyway.
Whoops. 1750? What the hell was I thinking? I ment to put around 2150. Another screw up for me....

But I distinctly remember thinking "Wow I was on that mission for 45 minutes?" after finishing.

I had run out of resources by then and said "Fuck it" and killed myself.