StarCraft 2 Sets New Mark for Piracy

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
ciortas1 said:
icyneesan said:
Why would you want to play Starcraft single player?
To play through it and discard it like the 50 other games they downloaded in the past few months. Pirates download everything.
As someone who sails the high seas attacking merchant boats and drinking a lot of alcohol, I find this very offensive.

Yargh

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
John Funk said:
leeloodallasmultipass said:
Yes but these people wont be able to play via battle net on-line im guessing?
That's correct.

Which, frankly, I'm perfectly okay with. :p You don't pay, you shouldn't get to play online with everyone else.
Good that there isn't LAN or there will be pirate server already.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Thedutchjelle said:
Hahaha.

So they remove LAN, add no region function and other crap to keep piracy down. And then they get pirated. Come on Blizzard, give us our Bnet 1.0 functionality back :\
No region is not to keep piracy down, it have nothing to do with that. It is just you can't ensure good connection cross region. Anyway, they are saying about they want to add cross region back since beta, if they have the time to.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Garak73 said:
Exort said:
Evilsanta said:
Wow, that is some big numbers.

I am not really that big a fan of Starcraft. I like Supreme Commander more.

I hope this wont lead to some kind of stupid AC2 like DRM...
It already did, it is called removal of LAN. Ok, maybe not as stupid as AC2 DRM, and it doesn't effect me at all, but I sure some people is really mad at it.
Removing LAN for an RTS game and replacing it with always online multiplayer is the height of stupidity. When they announced No LAN people protested but Blizzard didn't listen, they shouldn't be suprised (and they probably aren't suprised) that people protested by pirating the shit out of it. The internet protests prior to launch were ignored, people were told the BNET 2.0 would make it all better.
Haha... "Protesting" by pirating?
More like justify stealing. If by not buying the game then it is called Protesting it. That is just stealing.
Anyways, I doubt most of them are for that reason, both Warcraft 3 and Starcraft got pirate a lot, even now the pirate server (garena, iccup, etc.) are fulled with people. Not even suprising that Starcraft 2 got pirate a lot.
I remember a poll of TL about removal of LAN and most people said LAN doesn't matter, and TL is proably where most hardcore starcraft player gather.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
dryg said:
Woodsey said:
I don't care if you bought the game later, you still add to the figures and you still reinforce publishers' ideas about stringent DRM.
Well there is the problem, it's free publicity, the people I know (and including me) who pirate have no intention of buying it in the first place but if its good you want to support the devs.

Seems like only independet devs understand this, when you bring in investors who want to make money and don't know how piracy works.

Blizz got the same release dates worldwide but what is pure bullshit is the ones who don't. I preordered Mafa 2 but why the fuck did I have to wait longer then the US?! So I pirated it. Usually do that with every game I buy.
It's to do with regions, that's hardly an excuse; especially since almost every game does it.

At least your honest, which counts for err... Something.

As for investors, there's no way of estimating how many pirated copies actually "won" them a sale so you just have to go with 1 pirate copy = 1 sale lost.

Anyway, in the words of Susan Arendt: "Gaming is a luxury, not a right."

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Exort said:
Evilsanta said:
Wow, that is some big numbers.

I am not really that big a fan of Starcraft. I like Supreme Commander more.

I hope this wont lead to some kind of stupid AC2 like DRM...
It already did, it is called removal of LAN. Ok, maybe not as stupid as AC2 DRM, and it doesn't effect me at all, but I sure some people is really mad at it.
Wtf? No LAN? That is just stupid. Wont people be compeled not to buy it if it doenst have LAN support.