StarCraft II Has a Release Date At Last: July 27th

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Icehearted said:
Bah!
One game at thrice the price! Humbug! And don't give me this "too big for 1 package release" argument, it's too frail to stand on it's own legs, sort of like how they tried justifying LAN removal.
Great, yet another person bitching about the three releases without knowing anything about it. Would you feel better if they called it Starcraft 2, 1, 2, and 3? Because that's basically what it is. Each part of Starcraft 2 is going to be the size of a full game, how is that so hard to understand?

What makes all the whining even harder to understand is that people happily shell out for an FPS game with a campaign lasting all of *gasp* 5 hours! But Blizzard releasing a game in three parts each lasting many times that is horrendous!

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Hopefully Diablo 3 and HL2:Ep3 will follow soon!

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Do you hear that? Yeah, that distant thundering sound.

That's the sound of the entire nation of Korea having one massive party.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
I must say that the b
mip0 said:
November 7, 2013 it is.
Great! I'll be able to get a new computer till then.

No I'm sure it'll be on time.
I wonder if Starcraft II will get a battlenet full of mini-games like WC3 has.
From what I have seen in the editor, it could surpass WC3.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Firstly, I didn't say too big for one disc.
Secondly, I don't respond to flamebait.
Thirdly, I stand by my bitching. Apologists and people with more cash than sense may excuse or defend the move all they like. I'm content at with not choosing to allow them to pick at my wallet like vultures because Starcraft will sell like hotcakes no matter how they break it down. I'm a drop in the bucket, but this drop's no sucker, either.

-fin-

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
*reschedules holiday plans* well, that'll make a great late birthday present for myself! :D

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
SultanP said:
Internet Kraken said:
Well I better get back to playing the beta. If I play it nonstop up until release, I might just be good enough to enter the silver league.
Damn silver league! My placement matches landed me there, now I get a vicious beat-down every match. All because some dude's game crashed while he was loading the map, giving me a win I shouldn't have had.

I even think I won exactly as many matches as my flatmate, yet he ended up in copper league, how the hell does it calculate where to put you?
SultanP said:
Internet Kraken said:
SultanP said:
I believe it's based on your number of wins and who you were playing against when you got these wins. So if you beat a platinum player, that's going to place you higher up than beating a copper player. Or something like that. It could be worse for you though. Some guys got lucky and won all 5 placement matches, putting then in platinum league when they have bronze level skills.
Ah, right, I've heard of those poor sods. I can hardly be bothered playing any more since I'm almost certain to get my ass handed to me. Might just load up some matches and let people win to get a lower rank.

Or maybe I should grow some balls and actually try and win. Tough call.
I actually won 4/5 and landed in Gold, but then lost 5 straight and the system dropped me down to silver, where I feel very comfortable. I agree that there doesn't seem to be enough movement between leagues though...

I also have to say, this beta is the most fun I've ever had playing an RTS online, so that's saying something!

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
About time this finally got announced. I really want to see my CE.

Now to stop sucking in the copper league while I wait for the campaign. I suppose I deserve it for only playing versus AIs back in Starcraft 1 and thinking I didn't suck...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Icehearted said:
Thirdly, I stand by my bitching. Apologists and people with more cash than sense may excuse or defend the move all they like. I'm content at with not choosing to allow them to pick at my wallet like vultures because Starcraft will sell like hotcakes no matter how they break it down. I'm a drop in the bucket, but this drop's no sucker, either.

-fin-
I'm not flaming you, and you would do well to learn the difference between "arguing with" and "flaming". I'm just saying that you're wrong, and unless you have complained that every single trilogy in the history of man was a cash grab, you have no legs to stand on here.

The core of StarCraft is the difference in playstyle between the three races. They're trying to preserve that in the singleplayer as well as the multiplayer, and that means more than just giving everything a slimy overlay when you're the Zerg. This takes time; Blizzard develops slowly, and we want the game before 2014. Each of the three games is going to be 20-30 hours for the campaign, and many hundreds that in the multiplayer.

Honestly, what more do you want?

Feel free to not buy it, of course. It's certainly your choice, and your loss.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
John Funk said:
Icehearted said:

-fin-
I'm not flaming you, and you would do well to learn the difference between "arguing with" and "flaming". I'm just saying that you're wrong, and unless you have complained that every single trilogy in the history of man was a cash grab, you have no legs to stand on here.

The core of StarCraft is the difference in playstyle between the three races. They're trying to preserve that in the singleplayer as well as the multiplayer, and that means more than just giving everything a slimy overlay when you're the Zerg. This takes time; Blizzard develops slowly, and we want the game before 2014. Each of the three games is going to be 20-30 hours for the campaign, and many hundreds that in the multiplayer.

Honestly, what more do you want?

Feel free to not buy it, of course. It's certainly your choice, and your loss.
It wasn't your reply I was referring to with regards to the flaming, John. It was the following post where I was quoted, and to clarify I never accused anyone of flaming, I merely stated that I would not be baited to respond to flames, sidling, overt, or otherwise.

Your initial reply of what I'd said was inaccurate, which as you'd quoted, suggested that I said too big for one disc, and I specifically referred to it as a package, largely because I am aware that games come on more than one disc.

DarkLight523

Dec 1, 2009
I bet $5 against my friend that it'll get delayed.
Another $5 that the delay would be due to Blizzard reassigning its staff over to the WoW Department.
Another $5 that Dawn of War II would have Another expansion pack announced by then.
And $20 that I'd beat the game before he does.

So even if my predictions are all wrong, I've still hedged my bets so I'm guaranteed $5 from my manic gaming style.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Icehearted said:
Bah!
One game at thrice the price! Humbug! And don't give me this "too big for 1 package release" argument, it's too frail to stand on it's own legs, sort of like how they tried justifying LAN removal. World of Warcraft was huge, GTA SA was huge, so many huge games out there and they don't split it into pieces to charge their customer base more for the rest of the game. Why? Because they're not as crooked, and ultimately that's what it's about. They're doing it for the money. It's why Stephen King admitted they split The Green Mile into parts rather than releasing the whole thing. Blizz is ding it because they know they can with this ip, and buying it sets up the precedent for more of this in the future.

I don't doubt they have a hit on their hands, but then I've seen people shell out bucks for Xbox 360 Avatar junk, so money well spent is clearly relative to the consumer.
For what it's worth, I'm with you, dude. I don't buy their lame excuse that the game wouldn't come out until 2014: it's an RTS, for crying out loud. If a bedroom programmer has already released a working Tetris clone with their editing tools, I don't see how an entire company with the resources of Blizzard/Activision can't finish all three campaigns in time for release.