StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Debut Trailer Makes Bugs Sexy Again

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
JediMB said:
Yes. The fact that her human allies abandoned her on a Zerg-infested planet had nothing to do with her hatred. :p
Okay, totally not going to fall into an argument on canon here.

That said, her whole "I'm going to murder the universe with unending waves of pincers and fanged mandibles" would be a HUGE overreaction even to being abandoned by her friends.

Personally I'd hope that she wouldn't be that unbalanced to begin with -- and if she was, who was the genius who gave her a gun and active camo?

Thus, I chalk the majority of her current Kerrigan-ness up to those dreadlocks.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
I'm honestly confused about this. Is this campaign taking place during or after The Wings of Liberty campaign?

*Spoiler*

At the end we save Kerrigan and she goes all semi human and it looks like that's how she is in this game, but it didn't seem like she was evil anymore. I at least got the impression that she was glad to see Raynor again as he carried her away.

I just don't see where this is going, because if she was just going to side with the Zerg again, then Raynor should feel like the biggest ass in the Milky Way for killing Tychus. I see in the trailer that Kerrigan looks like she's escaping, but to what end?

If anyone has any ideas about where this is going to lead I would appreciate the feedback. This is just making me worried about the Protoss (my favorite) campaign, because I'm afraid it will just be the same story as SC:BW in reverse.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Citizen Snips said:
I'm honestly confused about this. Is this campaign taking place during or after The Wings of Liberty campaign?
Actually no. It takes place in 1985 where Kerrigan has to travel back in time 30 years to ensure her parents get together at a high school dance with the help of a crazy scientist and the world's most bullshit car.

(Seriously, I have no idea.)

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I'm more interested in the fact that, apparently, Kerrigan is able to interact with some more intelligent Zerg. Two characters in that trailer look more important than your average Zergling.
And, what's this? Each zerg unit can be morphed into one of 2 other units? That's gonna be quite interesting.

I hope the Ultralisk gets the option of becoming an Omegalisk.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Awesome, awesome trailer. I paused it a few times to see the possible mutations. Baneling can become splitterling that creates mini-banelings when it explodes, and the zergling can evolve to a swarmling, that spawn three at a time instead of two (for no additional cost).

Three zerglings for 50 minerals.

Three!

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Citizen Snips said:
I only watched the first 30 seconds of this 5 minute video on the HotS story (HotS? Really? I just noticed this), but it looks promising. Here, take a look:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/demo-story-starcraft-ii/714374

beema

Aug 19, 2009
What was with all the static shots of Kerrigan standing around in a casual-yet-bitchy hips-thrust-to-one-side pose?

Why is she human in them, also

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
This is looking shiny. Shiny shiny shiny. And gooey.
Twilight.falls said:
I'm more interested in the fact that, apparently, Kerrigan is able to interact with some more intelligent Zerg. Two characters in that trailer look more important than your average Zergling.
And, what's this? Each zerg unit can be morphed into one of 2 other units? That's gonna be quite interesting.

I hope the Ultralisk gets the option of becoming an Omegalisk.
With the Starcraft expansion I got the impression Kerrigan was making big changes with the Swarm so they weren't all puppets on a string. She was gonna be Big Queen in Charge but with smarter zerg that could take initiative instead of waiting for some cerebrates to get around to deciding what to do.
What we see happen in this story may lay the groundwork for World of Starcraft where people can reasonably play a zerg.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
ThePirateMan said:
Warhammer rip-off!
Gah, they should have had it all in one game! Greedy corporate tards!
Blizzard should go die, they're all Koticky now!
This game sucks! It should be more like Company of Heroes and Men of War!
I know you're being sarcastic, but... wouldn't it have been awesome if Blizzard actually went ahead with the Warhammer RTS? We could have gotten the best of both worlds - the lore of the Warhammer Space Marines, while replacing the Tau with the Protoss (befoe anyone starts bitching about being it non-canon, the Tau were introduced after Starcraft was released and were heavily influenced by the Protoss). And imagine a Swarmlord amongst the Zergs!

*sigh*

Anyway, on topic, certainly looking forward to this.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
ThePirateMan said:
Warhammer rip-off!
Gah, they should have had it all in one game! Greedy corporate tards!
Blizzard should go die, they're all Koticky now!
This game sucks! It should be more like Company of Heroes and Men of War!
the lore of the Warhammer Space Marines, while replacing the Tau with the Protoss (befoe anyone starts bitching about being it non-canon, the Tau were introduced after Starcraft was released and were heavily influenced by the Protoss).
Maybe it's just because I don't know a whole lot about the Tau, but I always thought the Protoss were more like the Eldar.

OT: Anywho, I have yet to finish Starcraft II's campaign, but this has to potential to be pretty fun. What role will the zerg play in the story though I wonder. And what was the point of ending of the main game if Kerrigan gets infested again?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
JediMB said:
Yes. The fact that her human allies abandoned her on a Zerg-infested planet had nothing to do with her hatred. :p
Okay, totally not going to fall into an argument on canon here.

~snip~
That's okay, because it wasn't a completely serious nitpick anyway.

Perhaps my emoticon/smiley didn't properly convey that.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
That said, her whole "I'm going to murder the universe with unending waves of pincers and fanged mandibles" would be a HUGE overreaction even to being abandoned by her friends.
Except she doesn't seem to want to kill everyone. After she destroyed the true threats to her in Brood War, she retreated, and she really only puts aggression on Mengsk's Terran Dominion.

Personally I'd hope that she wouldn't be that unbalanced to begin with -- and if she was, who was the genius who gave her a gun and active camo?
Ghosts are some of the most mentally unbalanced people in the Starcraft universe. They're only kept in line by devices in their brain that prevent them from losing it and also suppress their powers.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Citizen Snips said:
After. Kerrigan is freed of the influence of the swarm, but retains control. Whereas before, she was not just controlling the swarm, but a part of it; now, she commands them, without being one of them. Of course, this is just my understanding, and the game could prove me wrong, but it's pretty logical. It's implied that the Zerg are programmed to spread and destroy, and Kerrigan was created by the Overmind as someone who could resist that genetic destiny. Now that she's been purified by the artifact, it no longer affects her, and she can act as a pacifying influence on the swarm.

At the end we save Kerrigan and she goes all semi human and it looks like that's how she is in this game, but it didn't seem like she was evil anymore. I at least got the impression that she was glad to see Raynor again as he carried her away.
Minor nitpick, Kerrigan was never evil (there were no "evil" Starcraft characters until II).

I just don't see where this is going, because if she was just going to side with the Zerg again, then Raynor should feel like the biggest ass in the Milky Way for killing Tychus. I see in the trailer that Kerrigan looks like she's escaping, but to what end?
For clarification, there is no "Zerg" side, there is Kerrigan's side, and whatever side she's on, the Zerg are on as well. The only exception is Hybrids and psi-disruptors, which can control Zerg in a limited area.

If anyone has any ideas about where this is going to lead I would appreciate the feedback. This is just making me worried about the Protoss (my favorite) campaign, because I'm afraid it will just be the same story as SC:BW in reverse.
You played the bonus Protoss levels in WoL, I assume, so you know about the last one. I think that the Protoss campaign will have you replaying that level, but reversing your fortunes.