StarCraft II: How Is It So Far?

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I am liking it so far, my friends and I played the first one like crazy for years. Haven't gotten a lot of time to get much done yet but I like the look. It's still faithful to the original while being new and clean. The animations are so very fluid and smooth. Seems to be well optimized - I'm stuck on an older video card while my new one is away on an RMA and it still runs very well with relatively high settings.

I like how it still feels like StarCraft yet it's new.

Cinematics are pretty awesome too.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I, being the genius I am, accidently had my copy of SCII sent to my university address, instead of my house. Now I have to wait for the rest of the week while my school forwards it to me.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
Was never too good at RTS games, so I always find myself miles behind in vs matches, ie. zerg rushed so fast my eyes water

I think in one match I somehow ended up with some guy as the Terrans with like 15 Thor units squatting in my base when I had only built my 2nd barracks..... :(

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Megacherv said:
Would it be a good investment to buy this then?

Or am I better off saving the money and getting Diabo 2/original Starcraft?
One of the amazing thing about all the blizzard rts games is the variety of maps that come out of the custom editor. So you definitely get a LOT of value out of the game, since even if you don't like the basic rts, there will be completely different style games created and available online.

That said, you can always get one of the 7-hour preview keys from a friend who's already bought it :) or beg for one here on escapist forums maybe.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I think I'll wait for the price to go down before I get this.
Shouldn't be too long, as everyone else and his goldfish's dog has gotten it so far.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
I fully expected to be let down. SC2 has exceeded my expectations spectacularly.

They kept the Zerg play style familiar, too, so it shouldn't be too long until I begin into the multi-player aspect.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
First off let me say that I don't care much about the multiplayer, my focus is primarily on the story.
I'm having a ball with it, I really am, but just now I encountered something I absolutely hate in games and which made me throw up my hands in exasperation and promptly quit my current session. I ask you now, why the hell would anyone want to be given a choice in the middle of the campaign?! I want a straightforward narrative, damn it! Presenting me with a story-altering choice of potentially massive repercussions confuses and infuriates me!!! >:O

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
So far I've played a couple campaign missions on normal and maybe I'll bump it up to hard, 'cause it's getting too easy (already used to the controls, mechanics & UI). The campaign story itself is amazing however this is compared to my last single player RTS experience (Supreme Commander 2), which didn't have the best campaign, mind you.

As for the multiplayer... So far I've played 8 matches on the pratise lobby, for noobs and I've managed to win half. That pretty amazing for a noob like myself, since the practice lobby really favors Terran (Reaper rushes) and I've been playing Protoss 100%. Haven't seen any Zerg players so far but I guess that's because people just don't know how to play well with Zerg on the practise lobby.

Well that's my single & multiplayer experience so far and I can say that Starcraft 2 is an incredibly fine tuned RTS experience. Hopefully I'll be able to graduate from these practise lobbies soon, so that I can use Protoss to it's full advantage.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I haven't picked it up yet. I was waiting to see how cheap I could get it (instead of attending a midnight launch, and paying full price). So far, I've seen it $26 cheaper in a catalogue, and when I get home from work, I'll compare that to the digital download version.

MrMahalek

Jun 18, 2010
quite awesome.....new to SC and it is definately a win so far, like he says the interactive "menus"? I guess you could call them are a nice touch, and the gradual almost tutorial like introduction of gameplay elements is great for someone new to the game, I expect this to be one of the best sequels ever at this rate
PS. Im from aus so I think we got it first nananana :p

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Hybridwolf said:
What makes me laugh is how the only comments have been "I don't know, I haven't got it". It's like everyone who has it on the escapist has vanished...
Because they've been too busy playing the game ;)

I just got done with a six-hour run. Just got to the part where

Zeratul shows up and gives you the Imuhn Crystal. Really interesting. I did all of Doctor Ariel missions, and I was really disappointed with how Raynor handled that one.

Also, Tychus is easily the best SC character ever. EVER.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
I was one of the first few to get the game in the world (in Australia) but as soon as I was installing it my internet started cutting out and it took me about an hour of desperately running between the modem and my laptop to get the whole authentication thing sorted.

First few minutes in I realised whatever skills (if any) I had acquired 10+ years ago have long gone and it was like learning how to ride a bike all over again.

Getting there, though... if only I could have taken a few days off work.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I'm having a blast with it. The single-player campaign is indeed very good. And Starcraft + Achievements make for a terribly addicting game. I already replayed some missions up to 3 times to get the achievements.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Thank you for this thread, i was afraid to get it in case it was a disappointment, im now getting it today.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
im 19/26 missions through and loving everyone of them. despite not even finishing the game yet i can't help but keep thinking "When are the expansion campaigns coming out?!"

also, the Zaratul/Karrigan and Karrigan-flashback cinematic are crazy epic

seitori

Feb 12, 2008
Surprised no one's mentioned it, but it's impossible to change your profile name or delete your SC2 profile. Hopefully this gets changed--there's a thread 25 pages long on the official SC2 boards about what a mess that is. So, be careful when selecting it. It's what everyone's going to see when you play multi.

So far the game itself has a very Red Alert feel (not surprising considering the new devs), which I wouldn't terribly care for being that I'm not a fan of C&C, but perhaps it will pick up. Frankly, it's not a good thing considering the interludes and cinematics aren't on the same level as C&C's.

But anyway, between the real name on the forums debacle they had for a little while, no TCP/IP or LAN play, and the mess with permanent profile settings, I'm honestly wondering how else they can screw up the social aspect of the game. Adding RealID friends is clunky (unless you go through Facebook, but don't even get me started on that), and multiplayer chat rooms weren't ready for launch. This game is not polished, and definitely not polished to Blizzard standards.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
I'm one of those sparingly few that's never enjoyed a Blizzard game. Make of that what you will.

I'll give this one a shot at a friend's place sometime, see if they've actually done a game I like.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
oneplus999 said:
Megacherv said:
Would it be a good investment to buy this then?

Or am I better off saving the money and getting Diabo 2/original Starcraft?
One of the amazing thing about all the blizzard rts games is the variety of maps that come out of the custom editor. So you definitely get a LOT of value out of the game, since even if you don't like the basic rts, there will be completely different style games created and available online.

That said, you can always get one of the 7-hour preview keys from a friend who's already bought it :) or beg for one here on escapist forums maybe.
Yeah, our clan's forum has a thread for guest passes, and I've been trying out the shareware version of Starcraft 1. I was thinking of getting Diablo 2, but the shareware version of that doesn't work, so nevermind that.