StarCraft II Sells Three Million In a Month

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Amnestic said:
psrdirector said:
Danzaivar said:
They can count on that number going up by another 1 when the price gets closer to £30!
wait a year or two :p
Waiting until all three are brought out and then buying them all as part of a "Battlechest" type deal will probably end up being the cheapest option.
Yeah, but then you miss out on the awesome wave that every Blizz game gets when it first comes out.

"OMFG [x] IS OP AS SHIT, GG BLIZZ MAKING SHIT GAME NVR GONNA PLAY AGAIN"

And who would want to miss out on that?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Amnestic said:
psrdirector said:
Danzaivar said:
They can count on that number going up by another 1 when the price gets closer to £30!
Waiting until all three are brought out and then buying them all as part of a "Battlechest" type deal will probably end up being the cheapest option.
Yeah, but then you miss out on the awesome wave that every Blizz game gets when it first comes out.

"Wave"? Looking at the WoW forums, it's more like a constant river. A stream of endless bullshit, lies, half truths and massive whining over the tiniest of things.

Like that Celestial Pegasus horsey thing people could buy for real money. Haruhi's Skirt that was a boring topic but it went on and on and on.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
I actually think this is a rather low number considering the scale of things. 1.5 mil in the first two days but only 3 mil after a month? It would seem that the game reached its zenith so close to the release its depressing. I think that everybody who planned to get the game already bought it, and that the ones who didn't are either waiting for a discount or not interested. Now comes the slow decline in popularity and sales... Until the hype train for HotS gets rolling. God knows when that will be. ;)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
strum4h said:
Worgen said:
well it still looks massively boring to me but at least it shows that there is a market for rts games still
You know people like things that you dont like right?
thats why beiber is somehow popular

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
It is a good day to be on the Blizzard train.
Worgen said:
strum4h said:
Worgen said:
well it still looks massively boring to me but at least it shows that there is a market for rts games still
Eh, no worries. I could care less for 99% of Will Ferrell's work(I do like Stranger than Fiction), but there's no harm in it.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Oh Korea! Blizz better be kissing your backside right now...
Flying-Emu said:
Amnestic said:
psrdirector said:
Danzaivar said:

I...kinda wanna buy it now. Amazon or Steam, hmmm....

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
It is a good day to be on the Blizzard train.
Worgen said:
strum4h said:
Worgen said:
Eh, no worries. I could care less for 99% of Will Ferrell's work(I do like Stranger than Fiction), but there's no harm in it.
Well if Will Ferrel didn't play the same character in every single film he was in, we'd probably all like him more.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Amnestic said:
Flying-Emu said:
Amnestic said:
psrdirector said:
Danzaivar said:

"Wave"? Looking at the WoW forums, it's more like a constant river. A stream of endless bullshit, lies, half truths and massive whining over the tiniest of things.

Like that Celestial Pegasus horsey thing people could buy for real money. Haruhi's Skirt that was a boring topic but it went on and on and on.
Well, when it starts, it's a typhoon. Then it just is relegated to that mildly irritating storm that most people don't pay attention to.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
geldonyetich said:
I wonder if 3 million sales was enough to offset the tremendous budget they probably spent on the thing's prolonged development.
I bet they spent 2 years updating the models and half a year making the single player, lets be honest starcraft 2 is just WC3

overall they made 180 million and spent maybe 20 on the 30 people making the game full time

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
ionveau said:
geldonyetich said:
I wonder if 3 million sales was enough to offset the tremendous budget they probably spent on the thing's prolonged development.
I bet they spent 2 years updating the models and half a year making the single player, lets be honest starcraft 2 is just WC3

overall they made 180 million and spent maybe 20 on the 30 people making the game full time
Two things, Starcraft 1 used sprites, so they really made them from scratch.

And hey, SC2 doesn't have heroes :p

But enough nitpicking.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Worgen said:
strum4h said:
Worgen said:
Oh come on, there's a big difference between utter shit and boring.
if hes going to challenge the fact I said it looks boring to ME then Im taking it to the next level

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
-sniffles and wipes away a tear-

That'll do, Blizz. That'll do.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
John Funk said:
It's an even more impressive number given that the game is 100% exclusive to Windows and Apple PCs.
What's with the condescending tone in that sentence against PC games? Honestly there's more depth and interest in a single PC exclusive game then there is in the whole Halo/Killzone series (take you pick) of all the games of it's squeals put together. What's that? Oh, that's right, it's called S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. How about some Crysis to dish up? Oh, isn't The Witcher 2 coming down the pipe? Exactly!

P.S. Only on the PC would a game like this work so well because of the mod-ability and creativity that it expands on.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Twilight.falls said:
ionveau said:
geldonyetich said:

Two things, Starcraft 1 used sprites, so they really made them from scratch.

And hey, SC2 doesn't have heroes :p

But enough nitpicking.
StarCraft II does have heroes, like Jim Raynor, Odin/Tychus Findley, Egon Stentmen, that dwarf-like armory guy whom I forget the name of, Zeratuel and all those other protoss heroes in the mission "Utter Darkness". My apologies for misspelled names, I'm certain that I've screwed up on a fair few of them.

But yes, the graphics of SC2 were completely remade and often they'd start over to keep up with graphics changes (ie. like platform changes), the campaign would easily have been the easiest thing to create, there's also the Galaxy Editor and the sheer power that it has for players to mess with.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Baron_BJ said:
StarCraft II does have heroes, like Jim Raynor, Odin/Tychus Findley, Egon Stentmen, that dwarf-like armory guy whom I forget the name of, Zeratuel and all those other protoss heroes in the mission "Utter Darkness". My apologies for misspelled names, I'm certain that I've screwed up on a fair few of them.
True, but they don't level up or have items a la Warcraft 3, though custom fan-made maps can create Warcraft 3-esque heroes with experience and items and stat increases and whatnot.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
John Funk said:
It's an even more impressive number given that the game is 100% exclusive to Windows and Apple PCs.
What's with the condescending tone in that sentence against PC games? Honestly there's more depth and interest in a single PC exclusive game then there is in the whole Halo/Killzone series (take you pick) of all the games of it's squeals put together. What's that? Oh, that's right, it's called S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. How about some Crysis to dish up? Oh, isn't The Witcher 2 coming down the pipe? Exactly!

P.S. Only on the PC would a game like this work so well because of the mod-ability and creativity that it expands on.
Get off your high horse, the article didn't bash PC games, nor is it about moronic console wars. That statement refers to how normally a release is on multiple platforms, allowing for better sale, like MW2, it sold very well which was helped immensely by the fact it's available on PC, PS3 and Xbox360, it's sales would have been far lower if limited to one platform type. In other words for A PLATFORM EXCLUSIVE it has sold extremely well.