Stardock Calls Elemental: War of Magic a Complete "Fail"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Stardock Calls Elemental: War of Magic a Complete "Fail"

Brad Wardell of Stardock admits that the studio's latest title was released "poorly" and that he's responsible.

Stardock's in-house developed reviewers [http://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Standard-MBX-Pc/dp/B003BIW7FO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283629068&sr=8-1] and also has a mixed reaction amongst fans. Lead designer and Stardock CEO Brad Wardell isn't hiding from the controversy, and has actually come out saying that many complaints about the game are valid and his own fault to boot.

Elemental: War of Magic is meant to be a spiritual successor to 1994's Master of Magic, a fantasy turn-based strategy game that pitted wizards and their armies against each other in a quest for domination. War of Magic follows much of the same path as Master of Magic, but those that have played the game have come up with a list of complaints, saying it's unpolished, over-ambitious, and that it has poor documentation.

One might expect Wardell to blast back at the complaints, but he agrees with them to an extent. A post by Wardell on the Stardock forums makes it seem like the poor reception to Elemental gave Wardell an epiphany about where the development process went wrong.

"I don't think people yet fully realize the completeness of Stardock's fail on Elemental's launch," he wrote. He says there was a "level of disconnect/poor judgment" on Stardock's part in thinking it was ready for release on August 24. "Lack of time wasn't the issue," Wardell admits. "It was blindness, sheer blindness. We felt the game was finished."

Wardell says this wasn't about an early release, but a "poor" release. He places the blame on himself, saying: "Elemental's launch is the result of catastrophic poor judgment on my part ... EVERY competent software developer knows that the programmer must never be the one deciding whether the program is done. Yet, my love of Elemental broke my self discipline and I began coding on the game itself in vast amounts and lost any sense of objectivity on where the game's state was. I normally only program the AI on our games so I can keep a level of distance from the game itself to determine whether it's 'Ready'. On Elemental, I was in love with the world and the game and lost my impartiality."

Wardell plans to talk more about the issue, but for now says Stardock will "do better" in the future. Considering that Master of Magic is one of my most fondly remembered games of the past, I was looking forward to seeing a spiritual remake in Elemental. The widespread negative comments were a downer, but thankfully Stardock plans to fix the game's issues rather than ignore them with September's version 1.1, which Wardell is calling a "substantial" update that might also come with a planned in-game tutorial. Wardell's honesty gives me hope that upcoming versions will actually have the desired positive effect. Everybody makes mistakes, even game developers, but the results of a game developers' mistakes just happen to be seen by the world.

Source: Blue's News [http://forums.elementalgame.com/394855/page/2/#2753014]

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
That's alright, Stardock. Everyone makes mistakes, and you guys are still awesome!

Hammer_Wizard said:
I haven't heard anything about this game. Is it on Steam?
Impulse, a slightly cheaper version of Steam.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Glad to see that he admits a mistake. That's the first step on the road to not repeating a mistake. Hopefully Stardock, which has made some really great games, will do much better.

I just hope this doesn't scare off investors. Although if I were an investor, I would probably choose not to invest in Stardock. From what I've read, when the game was first released, it was virtually unplayable.

But at least they fixed it, mostly from what I heard. Still though, they couldn't have waited a week or two? If they got the patch out so quickly, they must have been working on the bugs and known about them. If so, why release the game when you know it has problems? He says that he "lost his impartiality", but the turn around on that patch is suspicious.

Apr 28, 2008
Isn't Stardock the one who had that "Gamer's Bill of Rights" thing that, among other things, gamers have a right to a finished and polished game?

Funny how these things work.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Irridium said:
Isn't Stardock the one who had that "Gamer's Bill of Rights" thing that, among other things, gamers have a right to a finished and polished game?

Eh, thus their actually bothering to step up, apologise, explain themselves, and set out to fix things immediately, I guess.

Rather than flat denials and arguments. Besides I'm pretty sure that bill was in reference more to Project-$10 esque DRM, really.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
That doesn't make any sense to me. Why should he as a programmer not be able to tell whether or not the game is read for release? Especially a programmer should be able to estimate the work that's left in order to make the game mostly bug, glitch and crash free. I'm a modder myself and just don't see his point there. And there was even a Beta as far as I know, they must've known about a ton issues and still released it even though you're always able to find issues even if you thought it's fine up to this point.

But at least he kinda admits that he screwed up completely :/
"It's done when it's done." - One should always remember these wise words.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Was originally at least slightly interested in this game as it looks similar to the old PC game "Lords of Magic" (I've never even heard of Master of Magic... but sounds kinda like the same :D).

But damn what start...

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
GoGo_Boy said:
Was originally at least slightly interested in this game as it looks similar to the old PC game "Lords of Magic" (I've never even heard of Master of Magic... but sounds kinda like the same :D).

But damn what start...
Oh man I miss LoM so much x.x Such a wonderful bit of atmosphere..

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Fensfield said:
Irridium said:

Eh, thus their actually bothering to step up, apologise, explain themselves, and set out to fix things immediately, I guess.

Rather than flat denials and arguments. Besides I'm pretty sure that bill was in reference more to Project-$10 esque DRM, really.
Reading the Bill of Rights now, I can't help but think it's just a large "Yah Boo Suck!" towards Valve.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Fensfield said:
GoGo_Boy said:

But damn what start...
Oh man I miss LoM so much x.x Such a wonderful bit of atmosphere..
Yeah and I really digged the gameplay. Would love a new game that holds true to it. Of course everything just better, especially the battles would be great with major improvements (the pathing e.g.^^).
But darn was it a lot fun :/

Edit: Basically like Starcraft to Starcraft 2 just with the Lords of Magic franchise.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
There definitely trying to fix things at least, they've released a load of updates in the last few weeks and drawn up a long term plan of things the community want fixed and added which is good.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
GoGo_Boy said:

But damn what start...
Master of Magic was a half way between civilization and the later might and magic games. You built units in your cities and sent out settlers to build new cities like civilization. You could hire heroes and cast spells like might and magic. It came out 3 or 4 years before LoM which was similar but had much simpler game play.

Windexglow

Apr 30, 2009
I've been playing the game since release and know I've paid it over several times it's worth by now. I've gotten a few crashes and been disowned by the AI many times over. It doesn't feel 'full' but it was finished and polished enough to give me loads of fun.

Compared to other $50 games I've bought -- F3 (which I can't play without cracks because regular game crashes), Total War (can't play without using a 2 year old video-driver) and Napoleon Total War (more like $15 expansion pack) Elemental has been incredible.

Title is pretty misleading towards his real quote.

EDIT: Ah yes, I started playing my LE after day-0 patch. Stardock is well known for their extremely generous patches and free DCL.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Considering that this article is the FIRST I HEARD OF THIS GAME. Yeah, yes it is a complete failure. -.-

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow - I bet that took some Gusto from him - Well, they need to get to work on improving pronto!

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Irridium said:

Self-induced delusion isn't the same as Activision'esque DLC greed. The guy says he got caught up in it and wanted to spread his joy to the world, then later realized he dun fucked up. Given that they're correcting the situation I'd hardly call foul on this one.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
GODAMNIT its good to see someone step up and take responsibility once in a while, instead of blaming everything under the sun except themselves.