Stardock CEO: Demigod Beats Piracy

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Anachronism said:
I don't know whether to be happy about this or not.

On the one hand, I think it's brilliant that the game's been successful in the face of piracy; and it's proved that everyone who claims they pirate games in protest of DRM is a massive liar.

Brad Wardell said:
If you're playing a pirated copy right now, if you're one of those people on GameRanger [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi] playing a pirated copy and have been for more than a few days, then you should either buy it or accept that you're a thief and quit rationalizing it any other way
Couldn't have been put any better.

But, on the other hand, the fact that it was pirated to hell and back is likely only going to convince other developers to continue putting heavy-handed and ineffective DRM in their games.
I have a pirated version of demigod and will buy it as soon is it gets a real release in Australia. Although I have only played it once at a lan, which the CEO seems to think is ok (a friend bought it online), I no doubt would count as one of those pirates. You're welcome to call me hypocritical but the last time I rushed off to buy a game on release it was broken (DoW2) and I couldn't play it for several weeks because of game breaking bugs, demigod still has no servers so I'll sit on my pirated version for lanning only until this is fixed.

If anything this makes the sales even more impressive because the release was so unbearably botched, the servers (in Australia at least) are all but working and yet it is still selling strongly.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
It's not nice to try to point fingers and laugh at the pirate community. Some people would pirate the game just for them saying things like that. Seems like a stupid thing to have put in print.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Ragdrazi said:
chronobreak said:
It's not nice to try to point fingers and laugh at the pirate community. Some people would pirate the game just for them saying things like that. Seems like a stupid thing to have put in print.
Um... No?

This whole "Demigod Beats Piracy" thing. You'd swear the pirates actually had swords drawn at the Stardock CEO's throat, but he was able cut the yardarm rope and fly up mainsail to engage in a thrilling midair swashbuckle with the pirate captain, winning the duel just in time to grab the sail before his rope snapped, and to slide down it to a safe landing next to Elizabeth Swann. And then they kissed as the sun set behind them.

Is that what you think? Is it? Because it didn't happen. I think.
I don't really know what you're talking about, actually. I just saw some rant about real-life pirates in a discussion about piracy. Feel free to elaborate if you'd like, but for next time if you quote me, please have something of substance to say. I don't like seeing I have an unread message and then find out it's something like this.

Anyways, what I was saying is the overall mindset of the "pirates" is one of apathy, not caring if a game tanks or a developer sells copies or whatever. It's like dealing with a child, and telling them not to run in traffic. Well now, they aren't gonna listen to you, are they? Not saying this is an absolute, or a case with all people who commit piracy, but if you're stealing the game, and this idiot is saying "Hey! We beat you guys!", what do you think is gonna happen?

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Ragdrazi said:
Shouldn't the headline be that companies have been blowing the threat of piracy way out of proportion?

I'm guessing the point the guy was making is than the game wasn't a failure because of the high levels of pirated copy's being played.
102,000 people stole this game, you don't find that a bit extreem? I mean thats around $400,000 they will now never get.

That said I do agree that DRM is not helpful.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
I disagree that Internet should be required to play a LAN game - though using a day0 patch to turn LAN on is perfectly fine. I love the no-DRM policy of Stardock, but I do wish they would be less hostile against piracy. Piracy is here to stay, so embrace it and you'll make even more money.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
Mromson said:
I disagree that Internet should be required to play a LAN game - though using a day0 patch to turn LAN on is perfectly fine. I love the no-DRM policy of Stardock, but I do wish they would be less hostile against piracy. Piracy is here to stay, so embrace it and you'll make even more money.
How exactly would "embracing" people who decide to play your game without paying you for it help you make money?

That said, I love Stardock's no-DRM policy. It helps the legal consumer, and takes away the "I only pirate 'cause I hate DRM" rationalization that has become so popular among pirates.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Mromson said:
I dont think Companies that make games then those same games are pirate's bait, thus making low profit is something they want to embrace.

No company in its right mind is going to say "Piracy is okay". Cause its not

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
Anachronism said:
I don't know whether to be happy about this or not.

On the one hand, I think it's brilliant that the game's been successful in the face of piracy; and it's proved that everyone who claims they pirate games in protest of DRM is a massive liar.

Brad Wardell said:
If you're playing a pirated copy right now, if you're one of those people on GameRanger [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi] playing a pirated copy and have been for more than a few days, then you should either buy it or accept that you're a thief and quit rationalizing it any other way
Couldn't have been put any better.

But, on the other hand, the fact that it was pirated to hell and back is likely only going to convince other developers to continue putting heavy-handed and ineffective DRM in their games.
You're wrong. I pirate every single game I buy, because I don't feel like dealing with DRM. Instead, I purchase the games, leave them to sit in this cardboard box next to my bed gathering dust, and play the pirated version. I refuse to download Secucrap onto my computer, but at the same time, support anyone who provides me with entertainment. Don't make sweeping generalizations, please.

It proves everyone who downloaded THAT game is an asshat pirate. Not all.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
oliveira8 said:
Mromson said:
I dont think Companies that make games then those same games are pirate's bait, thus making low profit is something they want to embrace.

If hollywood had it's way, we'd never be able to record anything from the TV - cause they'd "lose sales."

It's not about draining the last bit of dollar from everyone who played your creation. It's human nature to copy (it's what we do from birth, we copy what we see). You shouldn't prosecute people who copy, cause maybe they do pirate your game and never buy it - but if they liked it, odds are that they'll anticipate and buy your next game. People pirate for the simplicity of it all, sometimes they want to just try the game, sometimes they don't have enough money to buy the game, it doesn't matter.

As long as it's commonly acknowledged that you should support the creators, it'll all be just FINE. Move on with the tide. Move on with the culture. There are new ways to make loads of money with piracy right in the middle of it all.

There's no logical point to even try and keep the past system intact. You can ***** and whine that pirates are "stealing your hard earned munni", but that ain't gonna change anything. Get on with the tide, or die and make room for someone who's on for the ride.

Companies are here to create goods and services for people, not the other way around.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Mromson said:
oliveira8 said:
Mromson said:

If hollywood had it's way, we'd never be able to record anything from the TV - cause they'd "lose sales."
Your logic IS MASSIVELY FLAWED! Holywood and the movie industry makes money by airing movies on cinemas, selling the rights to TV networks, DvD sales and other crap.

GAming developers make money from selling games!

The movie industry has many places were to pick up money and I'm not counting merchandising and publicity.

The gaming industry only has one main place.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Piracy is a scapegoat publishers blame for people not buying their stupid games and not listening to consumer demands... like a damn demo at time of release.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Is there even a demo version? I would like to try that game out, but I don't want to pirate it.