Stargate: Atlantis Actor is the New Conan

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Stargate: Atlantis Actor is the New Conan

Stargate: Atlantis [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0597388/], has been chosen to star in the title role of Conan, the upcoming remake of Robert E. Howard's fantasy classic.

Ronon is Conan: For some people, those three words will inspire a debate that will rage for years. For those who don't run in that particular crowd, let me explain: Since 2005, Momoa has been a regular on the sci-fi television series Stargate: Atlantis, where he plays Seven of Nine [http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Ronon_Dex] and based on the feedback I've heard from women who actually watch the show, he's very effective in the role.

But now he's upping his game: According to a Arnold Schwarzenegger [http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/toldja-conan-the-barbarian-hires-momoa/] impression.

So what's the debate? Momoa's a big boy but he's no Schwarzenegger, the "Austrian Oak" who set the gold standard [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082198/] for sword-wielding Cimmerians back in 1982. And physical appearance may be the least of his concerns; Ronon is a great supporting character on Atlantis but will Momoa have the screen presence to avoid being completely overshadowed by his predecessor, who despite being a less-than-accomplished actor managed to make himself into a modern legend of film? Or will his syndicated sex appeal be enough to turn the rowdy, beer-and-buddies flick from the 80s into something with legitimate appeal to female audiences? No matter how you look at it, these are big shoes to fill.

(On the other hand, if they bring back James Earl Jones [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000469/] as Thulsa Doom, I am so there.)

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I'm unconvinced.

Hmmm...I will consider 2 hours of separated heads a suitable argument on Mr Ronon's part.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
When I saw the title I thought that he would be the new Conan O'Brien.

And nobody can replace Conan!!!

[bliptv=gbk7gb6zIAI"]

As for this... Meh. I don't think it will work.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
God, how many remakes of 80's movies are they going to do?

On the plus side, I love his character Ronan, So I'm looking forward to it.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
Supposedly the old Conan movies were only loosely related to the actual novels (no, I haven't actually watched the movies or read the books... you can just ignore this post if you like), so a better question might be, will they be sticking closer to the source material this time around?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
MR T3D said:
Christopher Judge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this guy.
I agree. I'd rather have Christopher Judge be Conan than Jason.

[small]Oh snap! A Stargate news post? Is the sky falling?[/small]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I could see it actually. From how he was in Atlantis...One world...Type-Cast!

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
A remake of an Arnold Swartzinegger [sic] movie without Arnold? No, I don't like it. You will never replace the governator.

BenFace

Jul 7, 2009
I think he should be good. On a side note, how long did you take to break this news? it was announced a week ago. Keep up escapist! xD

Felgy76

Oct 29, 2008
My girlfriend already wants me to grow dreds because of this guy. Guess I'll be seeing the movie whether I want to or not.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There can be only one Conan and that's Arnie.

As soon as we and, therefor, Hollywood grew out of the "muscled action hero" fase, a new Conan movie was doomed.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
I can smell the NC review from a mile away. Buuuuut, as long as Momoa can convincingly give an ultimatum to a god, then I'm game.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Jaredin said:
I could see it actually. From how he was in Atlantis...One world...Type-Cast!
Also, the Cimmerians are supposed to be descended from Atlanteans, albeit incredibly devolved.

Fictional History of Cimmeria said:
The origins of the Cimmerians stretch back to the Thurian Age. The Cimmerians are the descendants of colonists from Atlantis. Living on the main Thurian continent, the colonists survived the great cataclysm which submerged Atlantis and destroyed most of the Thurian civilizations. The survivors, at this point reduced to a stone-age level of sophistication, eventually found themselves locked in multigenerational warfare with survivors of a Pictish colony. This prolonged conflict caused the Atlanteans to further devolve into little more than ape-men. With no memory of their history or even of language and civilization itself, these beings eventually redeveloped into a people known as Cimmerians.
It makes perfect sense from a casting point of view, ape man from Atlantis = Jason Momoa.

I just hope he can record a DVD commentary as entertaining as Arnold's epic...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
robrob said:
Arnie is charismatic?
Are you kidding? He sure didn't get to where he is today because of all the years he spent toiling at the Royal Shakespeare Company.