Stargate Producer Calls Stargate Worlds a "Waste"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Stargate Producer Calls Stargate Worlds a "Waste"

Stargate Worlds [http://stargate.mgm.com/], saying it's a "terrible shame" that all the work put into developing the game has been "wasted."

In development since late 2005, Stargate Worlds is, or possibly was, an MMOG based on the Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis television franchises. But the process has not gone smoothly; the game was originally slated for release in the final quarter of 2008 but has been pushed back until late 2009 and in sued [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87961] for unpaid bills by a data center in Arizona.

In a recent interview with Stargate fan site Gateworld [http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/04/wright-talks-stargate-worlds-delay/], Wright, who co-created both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, said he didn't know what was happening with the game but didn't sound particularly optimistic about its future. "It's a shame. If it doesn't happen - and, let's be honest, it should be happening now if it was happening," he said. "It's a shame. It's a terrible shame."

"They had an opportunity and they got our support, and they obviously had significant funding, and it didn't happen," he continued. "It's kind of a drag for the fans and the time that we invested - what little of it there really was, in comparison to what they did - was still a shame that it was wasted, because it should have happened."

It's possible that Wright's eulogy is premature; beta applications for the game are still being taken and new screenshots were released as recently as mid-March. Also in March, Cheyenne Mountain President and CEO Tim Jenson issued a statement saying that while times are tough, work is progressing and the project is still on its feet.

"While many companies are finding things more difficult in the current economic environment, we continue to move our projects forward," he said. "We are pursuing several financing deals that will allow us to complete and publish Stargate Worlds and our other projects as well as pay our vendors and suppliers. The crisis has hit our economy hard, but we are confident that we will turn the corner and be back stronger than ever."

via: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/stargate-tv-producer-casts-doubt-on-mmo]

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
This isn't great news for myself or my wife. We are both huge Stargate fans. :(

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I like Stargate myself, although I wasn't sure if I'd like Stargate worlds, I was willing to give it a shot. However, it looks as it we won't get that chance now. A pity.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Damn, I thought it was taking a while. It might have been the only MMO that ever appealed to me.
That show meant so much to me. I used to watch on averge about an episode a day for about a year. That was the case for SG1 and then also atlantis for about 6 months. Because of that, in any FPS with the option, I always use a P90. I also know way too much egyption mythology than is healthy for a lad my age.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Also in March, Cheyenne Mountain President and CEO Tim Jenson issued a statement saying that while times are tough, work is progressing and the project is still on its feet.
Stumbling, out towards the motorway.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Totally agreed Daveman, this would've been the first MMORPG I was willing to try besides UO, like, 7 years back. I sure hope it survives. I just love Stargate, especially Atlantis.
Something similar happened to Stargate Alliance, didn't it? What the heck is wrong with them? :-(

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Better they dont release a sup standard game and ruin the IP. I would rather it wait for a chance for success! Not just publishing because now they have to.

Would you rather wait for 2 more years for a GOOD stargate mmo or would you rather they release a sup par one now?

Now I am not saying it IS sup par now. But I have seen more established developers release poor products with even less financial and time issues! I find it hard to beleive that the final product can benefit from this.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Of course, as long as it's still really in development I'm happy. I can wait. But I'm afraid they'll abort it again, like they did with Alliance. THAT would suck.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Skeleon said:
Something similar happened to Stargate Alliance, didn't it? What the heck is wrong with them? :-(
Whenever anything good and stargate happens the beings above must kill it.
Does God have something against Stargate?

I generally hate MMO's but I would have tried SG: Worlds out.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
If you go to Cheyenne Mountain's website, it reads almost like a fake company; like it's all smoke and mirrors.

They have no previous titles and somehow managed to obtain a license to one of the more prestigious sci-fi franchises while deciding that an MMO (arguably one of the most complex games to make) would be the best way to start.

I'm sorry, but something's not right here and it has nothing to do with the recession.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I was a pretty big fan of SG-1 until General Hammond left. The character shuffle threw off the chemistry and my interest tailed off fairly quickly. I still watch Atlantis a bit, but only casually. But I was hoping to see Stargate Worlds succeed, even if only to remind people of the fact that Stargate was a hell of a successful franchise and far better than most people give it credit for. And why shouldn't it succeed? It's the perfect setting, because quite literally everything can be worked into it.

I think Cheyenne is facing two problems right now. One, obviously, is getting the game out the door. But the timing is also becoming an issue. Both shows are gone and interest is cooling quickly. Stargate Worlds was likely to appeal largely just to fans of the shows anyway and the longer is goes, the more hardcore those fans will have to be to maintain interest. If they'd been able to get the thing out to coincide, more or less, with the end of the shows, it would've been fantastic, but a vague promise of a launch in the fair distant future isn't going to keep anyone's engine revving for very long.

the captain

Nov 20, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Skeleon said:
Whenever anything good and stargate happens the beings above must kill it.
Does God have something against Stargate?

I generally hate MMO's but I would have tried SG: Worlds out.
Gods been against Stargate ever since they tried to prove he was a false god. Jack O'Neill said it was just part of the job and then shot Gods First Prime the Pope in his face.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
The impression I got back when I was a regular on their forums was that they split their company up into several small companies and each of those were trying to make their own games. Stargate Worlds was supposed to be the first, and it, combined with the others when they were released, were supposed to form a multi-game social gaming network.

The problem I saw with that, and I even posted this view, was that the company was too new and had nothing out yet actually bringing in money, to spread itself over too many projects. They needed, I felt, to focus their resources on the one game, then when it's done, out, and bringing in money then they can begin to work on other projects.

Oh well. We'll see what happens.