Stargate Worlds Developer Running Out Of Money

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
As I see it they have three courses of action available to them:

1. Get either Richard Dean Anderson, Dana Elcar or the Phoenix foundation to make a charitable donation.

2. Get a loan from James Spader with the precondition that once Stargate Worlds becomes popular the developer will fund production of Less than Zero 2.

3. Open up a can of Kirk Russell.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
God dammit, why does stargate have bad luck when it comes to games!! it pisses me off because i have been waiting for a good stargate game for as long as the series has been out. Alliance has hug potential but shit hit the fan and the project got scrapped. Stargate as an MMO is really fitting can would be a boat load of awesome if done right. It's like its cursed or something, i mean the series is just so amazing and had such great potential for game dev's but crap keeps happening. If it ever does get finished I HOPE it is good and worth the wait, this and guild wars 2 are the only 2 MMO's which I would gladly play.

I still think they should bring SG:Alliance back from development hell, and hey stargate would make one awesome RTS too.

Silvertongue

Jul 2, 2008
I thought it would be a cool game, but in a post-WoW market with The Old Republic due out soon, I don't have a lot of hope for it.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
dalek sec said:
Shiuz91 said:
I think it's time we slay the demon known as WoW who will fight with me? FREEDOM!
You can count me in, I'm so sick of hearing about that damn game.
Me too, I'm doing a Games Design course & I swear it's all some twats talk about.

I even have to do a presentation about the fucking thing. At least it'll give me an opportunity to vent some anger, say what I think about the game & lay out some cold harsh truths about the game & it's thralls.

I do believe I may make at least one WoW thrall in my class cry...

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Jamash said:
dalek sec said:
Shiuz91 said:
I think it's time we slay the demon known as WoW who will fight with me? FREEDOM!
Me too, I'm doing a Games Design course & I swear it's all some twats talk about.

I even have to do a presentation about the fucking thing. At least it'll give me an opportunity to vent some anger, say what I think about the game & lay out some cold harsh truths about the game & it's thralls.

Ooooh can i get a copy or can you post it, I could go for a good laugh

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
-Seraph- said:
Jamash said:
dalek sec said:
Shiuz91 said:

Ooooh can i get a copy or can you post it, I could go for a good laugh
Yeah, I might share a summary or the results of the presentation in a couple of weeks if it has some amusing consequences or if I feel the need to rant about the sickening WoW love presented by others in the group, but it'll probably be quite boring and uneventful.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Jamash said:
dalek sec said:
Shiuz91 said:

Like wise, one of my friends has blocked me over AIM just because I can't stand that game, guess I won't be talking to her anymore.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
dalek sec said:
Jamash said:
dalek sec said:
Shiuz91 said:
Me too, I'm doing a Games Design course & I swear it's all some twats talk about...
Like wise, one of my friends has blocked me over AIM just because I can't stand that game, guess I won't be talking to her anymore.
Ouch! Surely that should have been the other way round.

That must sting like if a Leper covered up & ran away from you...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Jamash said:
Ouch! Surely that should have been the other way round.

That must sting like if a Leper covered up & ran away from you...
Yeah.. she's pretty much on my "go to hell" list now.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I thought (and think, actually) that Stargate is great material for an MMOG. You have multiple major factions caught up in an epic clash supported by numerous lesser-known groups (and room for as many more as you want to add), a nearly infinite range of settings, equal opportunities for PvP and PvE combat and, though this may be generalizing a bit, a built-in audience of real enthusiasts. This is a game that will never topple WoW, but if the developers set their sights on an EVE Online type of success - small, financially stable, not overreaching - there's no reason it couldn't work, and work well.

Unless they run out of money before it's done, that is.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Alright, what you do is this, release it on all platforms and patch it later, possibly making them expansion packs!

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Malygris said:
I thought (and think, actually) that Stargate is great material for an MMOG. You have multiple major factions caught up in an epic clash supported by numerous lesser-known groups (and room for as many more as you want to add), a nearly infinite range of settings, equal opportunities for PvP and PvE combat and, though this may be generalizing a bit, a built-in audience of real enthusiasts. This is a game that will never topple WoW, but if the developers set their sights on an EVE Online type of success - small, financially stable, not overreaching - there's no reason it couldn't work, and work well.

Unless they run out of money before it's done, that is.
Yes, I think the same thing too. The question is, how big a subscriber base do you need, and can you build?

On the one end, you have WoW, a fantasy setting with paid subscriptions, and at the opposite end, you have something like Allegiance, which is a free space combat game, and has a core population of some 400-500 members.

Being a space combat game, Allegiance has some things going for it that enable it to get by with such a small base, namely, no PvE play, so there's no need for new maps, terrain or monsters.

The question is, has WoW saturated the MMORPG market, and can you make a compelling environment based on the subscriber base of the leftovers?

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
Everyone keeps saying Stargate is great material for a MMOG. I disagree. It would be better off as a open world(multiple worlds) FPS. You play as SG team member who mainly follows orders from stargate command, get sent on missions, huge story arc develops while doing thus missions which lead to a big finale. You could cover an entire season of episodes with one huge game like that.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
People keep mentioning that it's WoW's fault, but I don't see how. The game isn't even in an open beta stage yet, so WoW hasn't even had a chance to take a swing at it yet. If anything, WoW is unintentionally encouraging them. All the game companies are thinking is "WoW's popularity + Stargate's popularity = Money".