Stargate Worlds Developer Running Out Of Money

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Stargate Worlds Developer Running Out Of Money

What do you do if you're a start-up MMOG developer who hasn't been paid in almost a month? Make a web site and tell the world!

It turns out that employees at Gamasutra [http://www.stargateworlds.com/] after 22 days of no pay. The studio had appeared to be doing fairly well for itself, working on both the Stargate release as well as another unannounced online game, and in April had formed its own publishing arm to handle the two games. But Cheyenne Mountain PR guy Kevin Balentine claimed that the rough economic climate was taking its toll.

"At Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment, we have always been upfront with the media and our fans that we are a start-up. Like many start ups, we face the same cash-flow issues that all pre-revenue companies face," he said. The company's "core investors" are still hanging in, he added, "but the new economic realities are forcing us to seek out additional sources of funding, and that's what we're doing."

Long stretches with no pay can be very tough on employees, particularly at this time of year, but so far the team at Cheyenne seem to be taking it in stride. The tongue-in-cheek "days-since-cheyenne-mountain-employees-have-been-paid.com [http://www.days-since-cheyenne-mountain-employees-have-been-paid.com/]" website speaks to the team's overall sense of humor and good morale (so far, at least) and Balentine assured fans that development on Stargate Worlds is continuing. "We recently completed a successful phase of closed beta testing and we will start a second phase early in 2009," Balentine said.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
Another one bites the dust...
That maybe a bit early, but this is a very bad sign for MMO's.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Wait, so now MMOs are failing before they're even made? I think we need to finally slay the monster that is WoW.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Man I swear that anytime anyone tries to make a decent stargate game it always goes to hell and the company goes out of business.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
dalek sec said:
Man I swear that anytime anyone tries to make a decent stargate game it always goes to hell and the company goes out of business.
I was hoping that this one would end up being good. This really isn't a good sign though.

dalek sec

Jul 20, 2008
Brokkr said:
dalek sec said:
I was hoping that this one would end up being good. This really isn't a good sign though.
Tell me about it, I was really excited about that FPS they were making but sadly that company went belly up before it was done.

dalek sec

Jul 20, 2008
Shiuz91 said:
I think it's time we slay the demon known as WoW who will fight with me? FREEDOM!
You can count me in, I'm so sick of hearing about that damn game.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Hmm, what to do.. what to do..
Options:

1. Scrap the project!
2. Kick half the team out!
3. Release it now in it's awful unfinished state.
4. Cut down massively on all kinds of features
5. ... ask for more money?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Mariena said:
Hmm, what to do.. what to do..
Options:

1. Scrap the project!
2. Kick half the team out!
3. Release it now in it's awful unfinished state.
4. Cut down massively on all kinds of features
5. ... ask for more money?
All five! In this order:
First option 2.
Then option 4.
Then option 3.
Then option 5.
Finally, option 1.

Ahh, what a legacy!

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Step 1: Create an MMO
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

It's that step 2 that get ya :(

I really hope they stick to it and it ends up being big (and lasting).
25 days without pay right before christmas, they deserve it to work out. Well, a lot more then Blizzard do imo :p

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I know someone who beta tested the game... it didn't sound like it'd "convert" me into a Mumorpagher, but it did sound like a good game in the genre and as a fan of the series I was hoping it'd do well.

*sigh* Here's hoping-against-hope that they can get some last minute funding.

-- Steve

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Shiuz91 said:
I think it's time we slay the demon known as WoW who will fight with me? FREEDOM!
I don't understand what any of this has to do with WoW. Why 'slay' a successful game because other companies can't manage their resources, money, or become efficient? It's the financers for Cheyenne, and management over there that perhaps was too ambitious, took on too much, or wasn't realistiv in their own expectations.

Not sure I understand how some are tying this to Blizzard. So, if WoW died...does that mean Stargate would be released and everyone is paid? What basic economy/accounting class textbook teaches this?

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
If you read between the lines, it seems like the employees geniunely love the game they are working on. It must be something awesome to keep working on it for free. Thats only something you do when you pour your life and soul into it. Thus, if/when this game ever does come out, its quality will be reflected by its creator's love.

Jak The Great

Jun 24, 2008
seeing how the studio is about 5 miles from me, I really hope they don't close down, it would be a great place for me to work once I get more experience and not have to move out to California

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I wish them the best. SGW seemed genuinely interesting, and the team at Cheyenne has some really cool folks on it.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
5 years ago theyd have been able to get away with releasing it in an unfinished state (it worked for EVE) but today the WoW effect seems to mean even if u have a well polished finished game to sell, people will still ignore it. Shame, hope they do get the extra funds they need. Though like with all the next generation of MMOs, I got bored waiting for them in 2007