Starting a New Character in Nioh Could Cost You Your Old Save Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Starting a New Character in Nioh Could Cost You Your Old Save Game

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1382/1382663.jpgIf you're looking to start a new character in Nioh, there's a bug that could cost you your old save game.

If you've spent any time in Nioh, you know that it can be both rewarding and frustratingly difficult. Every inch of progress is hard-won, and losing your save game could be a pretty frustrating experience.

Unfortunately, that's been happening to a number of players. It appears that the game doesn't always let you create a second character. Instead, it's just overwriting the original save for some users. The reports come from this thread [https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/5uanuk/missing_save_file/] on Reddit, where multiple players report encountering the issue.

I'd be inclined to put this down to intended behavior, except that there are also people reporting that they have multiple characters without issue. In most cases, it sounds like the issue is only noticed after you've already overwritten your high-level character.

There hasn't been any official word on this from Team Ninja as yet, but for now, I'd recommend backing up your save file to a USB drive before you try starting a new game. Progress in Nioh is too precious to risk losing it all.

[gallery=6936]

animeprime

Feb 18, 2013
My initial thoughts were that this sounded more like a feature than a bug as well. What does that say about this genre?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
animeprime said:
My initial thoughts were that this sounded more like a feature than a bug as well. What does that say about this genre?
That EA has an untapped goldmine here.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
No idea why anyone would need to start a new character when they have an item that allows you to respec your character but to each their own.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
That's a bit odd. Been playing this game since launch and loving every second of it. It's like they stripped Dark Souls down to its bare essence, but then made the combat tighter, faster, deeper, and more complex, put it in an Onimusha setting, added a Diablo loot system, and cut down on bullshit "platforming" deaths. Probably died over a hundred times by now but I've rarely felt frustrated. Plus fighting is just so damn fun.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
No idea why anyone would need to start a new character when they have an item that allows you to respec your character but to each their own.
My thoughts exactly. iirc it's like 10k gold which isn't alot from the rate in which I've seen it drop. Starting over also would have you fight thought the prologue level again which anyone could do without.