State Legislature Attempts to Tax All Digital Downloads

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
When I saw a new tax being proposed, I was positive that it was Maryland. Mildly pleased and surprised that it isn't, but I am sorry for Connecticutians.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
If anything, the non-internet taxes are going to die. Sorry but time moves on and everything ends eventually.

Tufty94

Jul 31, 2011
In the UK we have to pay VAT on almost everything, even digital downloads. VAT is 20% I think, so I couldn't give a fuck about your measly 8%.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Zakarath said:
Honestly, I don't see a problem with this. The government needs money to pay for very reasonable things like schools, roads, etc. They get the money through various taxes like sales taxes. You buy stuff, you pay a small tax. Not a big deal.
Same. Provided it's a small tax. and I stress, small tax. I don't mind paying an extra dollar. Anything beyond that? Fuck no.

I don't even smoke but the price of Ciggerates in my state is like 10 dollars due to taxes. Fucking wrong, bro.

Tufty94

Jul 31, 2011
Valdus said:
I hope it passes. It means that, either by raising the prices to compensatate or just taking a profit hit, DLC won't make as much money, so you won't have as much crap that ME3 had. We might actually get some games with all the intended content already included.

I hope it passes and spreads.
What? They still make as much money, you would just pay more. Also, please get over the DLC thing. It's just going to save people the time of having to download it if they have it on the disc.

Dreadjaws

Nov 29, 2011
Well, in my country I do not pay taxes for digital goods, but I do pay a small tax for out-of-country purchases, which means I technically DO pay taxes for digital goods, since all of them come from other countries. But for retail games I pay a minimum of 60% taxes, and since I purchase both digital and retail games I wouldn't like yet another tax to be added to my purchases.

Then again, this particular tax wouldn't affect me, unless people take it as an example and everyone starts charging taxes for digital purchases, which just might happen.

Still, if the retail taxes in my country weren't so goddarn ridiculous, I wouldn't have a problem with an extra 8% in either digital or retail.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
AC10 said:
Oh you silly Americans, thinking an 8% sales tax is hefty :p
It's hefty when your government doesn't do shit for you. There's plenty of instances where that money is just funneled into someone's pocket instead of being used to improve something. By the way, enjoying your health care?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I can also imagine how impossible it would be to actually enforce this law on individuals.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
8% sales tax? Boo freaking hoo it's little under 25% here and I see no reason why internet sales should be exempt from normal taxation.

SolsticeM

Dec 15, 2011
You want to know something? I paid tax already on my DLC. In fact, anybody who uses a points system ends up paying tax. When you purchase any kind of points card or redemption code from a brick and mortar store, such as purchasing a 2800 MSPTS card for XBox Live or similar with Nintendo you have to pay tax on it (at least in my home province of Ontario). Not so with Sony as their cards are for a dollar value, and both systems have their drawbacks. Honestly, sales tax has to be applied equally, or else it gets raised disproportionately on the goods or services that can't be done online. At the end of the day, you will pay taxes, either directly, fairly and equitably across all taxable items you purchase, regardless of online or in person, or get ready to start having to pay more on the things you can't buy online. Pure and simple. Governments need revenue and they will get it, one way or another.

If you want to see how bad it can get, particularly if you are a U.S. citizen, look no further than a breakdown of where the money paid at the pump goes at an Ontario gas bar - http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fuelsavings/2132.aspx

Compare with the U.S. - http://www.exxonmobilperspectives.com/2011/01/13/what-makes-up-the-price-of-u-s-gasoline/

Taxes nearly rival Crude oil costs in Ontario, because the government knows that despite everything else, you can cheat on your income tax, get paid under the table, buy from the black market, never drink or smoke or play the lottery, but damned near everybody buys or relies on gasoline, and then they get paid. And ladies and gents, bandwidth and convenience is the [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/4759-The-New-Black-Gold-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution"]New Black Gold[/a](I'm so sorry Gav).

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...wait.

I pay taxes when I buy my XBL/PSN cards and then I pay taxes...AGAIN when I buy something off of XBL/PSN?

Isn't that, like, wrong?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Man Americans don't like tax do they? Don't get me wrong, I don't love erm either but we pay up to £50-60 quid for a new game here in the UK, when you coincider that you get something along the lines of $1.8-2 per £1 the numbers get a little silly.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Wait so, there's more reason to pirate now...good work congress, whilst trying to get rid of piracy your giving people 8% more of a reason to pirate...

If songs on iTunes get more expensive I will flip shit.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Taxes are coming to the internet. Get over it.

EVERYONE else is taxed in the normal world and the internet is becoming part of the normal world.

I see a day when a website selling anything will HAVE to check the shipping address and charge you that states sales tax, If that website wants too sell anything in that state.

GET OVER IT, YOU WILL BE TAXED.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Veylon said:
While I don't have a problem in principle with online sales being taxed, I do wonder how they imagine that companies - to say nothing of indies - are supposed to keep track of tax rates for every territory that a customer could possibly reside in. What if I give a company an address in a state with lower taxes but download everything so it doesn't matter?

And then we get the question: who's responsible? How is the seller supposed to know what state the buyer counts as being in? How is the seller expected to keep track of each and every tax rate change everywhere in the world? I'd like to hope that the governments an API that everyone can use to handle all this stuff, but I don't think anyone has thought this far ahead it.

Once money gets put on the table, all this stuff suddenly matters, yet I don't see an easy fix; it's looks likely to eat up as much money as will actually be generated.
The Credit Card will tell them where you live. Even Paypal requires some of this info so it is doable. Also, it is always difficult too start something that just 15 years ago (Has it been that long? I feel old) did not exist to the extent we see it today. There was almost no real internet shopping back when I was a boy. (I walked 15 miles to school, UP-hill BOTH ways)

The real trick will be convincing the internet not too pull a Whiskey Rebellion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion (Note: the farmers lost)

Sum it up short and sweet, the government sent in the Army, the farmers (who were represented) DID pay the Taxes. At least for a time. The Republicans repealed the Tax in 1801.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU RASCALLY CHILDREN. *shaking fists*

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
To those people who're saying "Well, why wouldn't you pay taxes on that?", I hope you're not using the "Piracy isn't theft because nothing is lost."-bit. There's similarities there that would be too good to pass up if you ever wind up in a discussion about it.

On topic: Afaik, the EU already pays VAT on digital purchases. If you somehow manage to get by without those, more power to ya. But personally, I'm in the "Well, why wouldn't you pay taxes on that?" camp.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Don't like it. Isn't the internet taxed, anyways, I'll see if Bing tells me about it.
Couldn't find anything on the internet being taxed.

Anyways, if your going to tax a purchase online for something like Steam, then I say no. There are no laws in place to stop Valve from removing everyone's libraries this second, so they shouldn't be getting paid for something that might harm people's wallets. But if its something like Amazon then I think its OK, since your receiving a physical product.

Overall, taxing online distributors that only download files is a big no-no, but go right ahead for shipping places like Amazon.

tipp6353

Oct 7, 2009
Signa said:
AC10 said:
Oh you silly Americans, thinking an 8% sales tax is hefty :p
It's hefty when your government doesn't do shit for you. There's plenty of instances where that money is just funneled into someone's pocket instead of being used to improve something. By the way, enjoying your health care?
Pretty much this, I can see why you Europeans think that we are having it easy in America by having 8% but if you gotta buy food and add gas in your tank and pay tax on all of that it adds up, we need no more taxes in America we cannot tax our way out of debt.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
By "all digital downloads" I initially assumed that included nickle-&-diming you for every picture you saved.