State Legislature Attempts to Tax All Digital Downloads

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
viranimus said:
Until digital property is treated in the same way as physical property with all the same legal protections that are bestowed upon digital property such as the ability to resell used digital property or not being removed from ones property without recompense, then absolutely not. If the government does not do its job to protect it or the consumers, then they absolutely do not deserve to profit from it.
Then they'll just argue that it's a "service," not a "good." The same way you still pay sales tax on movie rentals even though you don't own the movie.

...Wait, do they charge sales tax on things like movie rentals?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Solving US debt: 5% sales tax on everything. About 300 million people in the states right? If they just do that and DON'T spend anymore than what they currently spend, that would help alot, but it won't happen, no sir.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
viranimus said:
Until digital property is treated in the same way as physical property with all the same legal protections that are bestowed upon digital property such as the ability to resell used digital property or not being removed from ones property without recompense, then absolutely not. If the government does not do its job to protect it or the consumers, then they absolutely do not deserve to profit from it.
Then they'll just argue that it's a "service," not a "good." The same way you still pay sales tax on movie rentals even though you don't own the movie.

Depends on the state and their view on if goods and services are taxable.

Still, this issue of digital property needs to be resolved and this is a perfect point for this matter to be viewed and determined once and for all. Dont give them a cut until they do their job.

Voren

Jun 26, 2010
I was on the same note, I didn't care until I saw CT and then I cared....a lot. I really don't want to pay even more taxes than I already do.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
ECA seems to be trying to take advantage of the gaming community to manipulate them for their own desires. Dont support it it isnt a tax on games its just a loophole fix.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
viranimus said:
Steve the Pocket said:
viranimus said:

Depends on the state and their view on if goods and services are taxable.

Still, this issue of digital property needs to be resolved and this is a perfect point for this matter to be viewed and determined once and for all. Dont give them a cut until they do their job.
I was all set to admit the fairness of the tax but you brought up a great concern I have with commerce in the digital age. Good thinking.

As for the ECA, it's their job to advocate for consumers. It's not surprising they would be against a tax that affects consumers even if it seems fair.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see an issue with digital sales being taxed. Just like any person I agree that it sucks to pay taxes but as internet shopping continues to grow, there is zero reason for it not to be taxed. Sorry ECA, you're on your own.

ablac said:
ECA seems to be trying to take advantage of the gaming community to manipulate them for their own desires. Dont support it it isnt a tax on games its just a loophole fix.
Pretty much. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and we don't have unwarranted internet rage.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
There is a HUGE difference between hard copies vs digital copies for tax to make sense. According to game companies like EA and Activision, we are mearly borrowing or leasing a copy of their games. So I am to be charged tax for something that isn't even mine to begin with. When it comes to vehicles, we have an option to own said vehicle/car/van/etc once we believe we can afford it. You can't do that with most downloadable copies of media/entertainment.

Those "$10" DLC are not going to look appealing when they become $12-$15usd depending on how much tax they want to add. Just because other countries get shafted by tax on Digital Distribution does not mean I want to be shafted too.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
I already pay a 10% sales tax on Steam (because I live in the same state as their HQ). It's not too bad.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Remember, this is the state that brought you Joe Lieberman and Chris Dodd. I love my state (yep, I live in the Constitution State), but our politicians are complete dickheads.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Ah politicians will stop at nothing to grab money to pass to their friends and relatives. The story is as old as time.
This money has nothing to do with the politician's bank accounts. They will pay themselves even if they have to bankrupt the state to do it. Taxes like this (and other ones that actually make sense) just allow for them to leave some/more for the rest of us.

ConductorCat

Jan 17, 2009
If hard copies of said media are already taxed, why is everyone getting so butthurt about them being taxed in a different form of media?

And to whomever said that you don't "own" digital copies, obviously you didn't read the EULA that comes with your hard copy.

While you may own the disc said game comes on, it gives you no more rights than a digital copy does.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Yup. I do not like this one bit.

But why not? You pay taxes for everything thing el... *GUNSHOT!!!*

Fuck you I do not want to pay more, simple and cheap as that.

I am a fuegal frella.
(Skip ahead to 5:18)

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
I hope it passes. It means that, either by raising the prices to compensatate or just taking a profit hit, DLC won't make as much money, so you won't have as much crap that ME3 had. We might actually get some games with all the intended content already included.

I hope it passes and spreads.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Honestly, I don't see a problem with this. The government needs money to pay for very reasonable things like schools, roads, etc. They get the money through various taxes like sales taxes. You buy stuff, you pay a small tax. Not a big deal.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Valdus said:
I hope it passes. It means that, either by raising the prices to compensatate or just taking a profit hit, DLC won't make as much money, so you won't have as much crap that ME3 had. We might actually get some games with all the intended content already included.

I hope it passes and spreads.
No, because the publisher will still make you pay the base price, then the sales tax is added. It's not directly added to the cost. So that $10 DLC will be $10.80 ($0.80 sales tax), EA still makes the same amount of money.

See no issue with it however, the state needs money, and 8% isn't that bad, even though my province only has a 5% GST.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
While I don't have a problem in principle with online sales being taxed, I do wonder how they imagine that companies - to say nothing of indies - are supposed to keep track of tax rates for every territory that a customer could possibly reside in. What if I give a company an address in a state with lower taxes but download everything so it doesn't matter?

And then we get the question: who's responsible? How is the seller supposed to know what state the buyer counts as being in? How is the seller expected to keep track of each and every tax rate change everywhere in the world? I'd like to hope that the governments an API that everyone can use to handle all this stuff, but I don't think anyone has thought this far ahead it.

Once money gets put on the table, all this stuff suddenly matters, yet I don't see an easy fix; it's looks likely to eat up as much money as will actually be generated.