Steam Announces First 10 Greenlight Approvals

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Doom972 said:
I'm surprised Valve approved of Black Mesa. I know they support modding, but I thought even they wouldn't want it on Steam since it might compete with Half Life and Half Life: Source
You should read some interviews with Gabe - Valve sees something like this as just free advertising for everything related. Whenever they release a free add-on or update for something like TF2, sales for the base game go up (or they did when TF2 cost money). And of course it's more good will.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
BENZOOKA said:
It's an interesting project.

Although, the little I have browsed through some games on Greenlight, there seems to be a, overabundance of survival (horror/thriller) games.
Seems to be filling a niche that very few AAA games nowadays seem to cover.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
lotr rocks 0 said:
BENZOOKA said:
It's an interesting project.

Although, the little I have browsed through some games on Greenlight, there seems to be a, overabundance of survival (horror/thriller) games.
Seems to be filling a niche that very few AAA games nowadays seem to cover.
Not that big of a surprise with the success of Amnesia, Minecraft and others. As well as it's not principally that far off from tower defense games that seemed to sprout from every corner during recent times.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
N3squ1ck said:
Awh, and the new Octodad didn't make it in there so far?
I has sad now :(
If they do them in groups of ten it's got a damn good chance at being in the next set:

http://www.shrewdlogarithm.com/greenlight.htm#[[[4,1]],{}]

Since that site looks awful in a couple of the browsers I tried, I'll summarize.
ASSUMING:
1) Slender: Source was skipped for a reason that won't clear up by the next approval period,
2) they just take the next ten,
AND 3) the rankings don't change,
the next ten on the list are:

Perpetuum
Interstellar Marines
Project Giana
Forge
Contrast
POSTAL 2 COMPLETE
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Miasmata
Afterfall InSanity Extended Edition
Yogventures!

Which makes me happy too, since I quite enjoyed the demo of Project Giana.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
I am just glad to see kenshi on that list. I saw it on steam greenlight and thought wow this sound like something I would enjoy, proceeded to buy it on desura, though it is only in very early alpha at this point.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Doom972 said:
I'm surprised Valve approved of Black Mesa. I know they support modding, but I thought even they wouldn't want it on Steam since it might compete with Half Life and Half Life: Source (especially with Black Mesa being free).
I think Valve just raised the bar again.
A game "competing" with HL1 is the very least of their problems. If anything, they're very happy they'll get fresh exposure for a 14 year old game.

They've had one prior interaction with the Black Mesa modders though. Back when it was called Black Mesa: Source, Valve asked them to drop the Source name for being their trademark.

I never really got that, i mean, you have plenty of source mods that use "*whatever* : Source" as their name. I don't quite get how removing the 'source' from it's name achieved and/or negated anything what so ever.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
oldtaku said:
Doom972 said:
I'm surprised Valve approved of Black Mesa. I know they support modding, but I thought even they wouldn't want it on Steam since it might compete with Half Life and Half Life: Source
You should read some interviews with Gabe - Valve sees something like this as just free advertising for everything related. Whenever they release a free add-on or update for something like TF2, sales for the base game go up (or they did when TF2 cost money). And of course it's more good will.
I read enough of them and I'm familiar with Valve's attitude towards mods. I knew they won't do anything against the mod and that they encourage modding, but actually adding it as a download in Steam is something is more than I could expect from them. I know that Valve has good reasons to do it, but game developers/publishers can be sensitive when it comes to IP.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
Doom972 said:
I'm surprised Valve approved of Black Mesa. I know they support modding, but I thought even they wouldn't want it on Steam since it might compete with Half Life and Half Life: Source (especially with Black Mesa being free).
HL:1, more than a decade old and owned by half of pc gamers everywhere.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
ksn0va said:
Doom972 said:
HL:1, more than a decade old and owned by half of pc gamers everywhere.
I know, I still have my original 1998 copy.