Steam Autumn and Winter Sale Dates Leaked, As Usual

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Steam Autumn and Winter Sale Dates Leaked, As Usual

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1360/1360692.jpgUnsurprisingly, the dates for the next two Steam sales have leaked out.

With the Steam Halloween sale barely in the rear view mirror, you might be lamenting missing out on the best game deals. Luckily, it looks like you won't have to wait long for another shot at some discounted games. The sale dates for both the Autumn and Winter sales have been leaked.

The dates were leaked by lashman [https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/794618758446911488] on Twitter, a frequent source of information on upcoming Steam items. Typically, Valve kicks off its holiday sales just before the actual holiday, with the Autumn sale lasting about a week or so, and the Winter sale typically wrapping up just after New Year's Day. The leaked dates line up with this. Prepare your wallets for these dates:

Autumn Sale: Starts November 23 at 12:50 PM ET and runs through November 29 at 1:10 PM ET.
Winter Sale: Starts December 22 at 12:50 PM ET and runs through January 2, 2017, at 1:10 PM ET.

We'll have to wait and see if these dates are accurate, but it would be a big surprise if they're off by much, as they seem to be right in line with Valve's yearly practices.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
If they bring back the policy of not changing prices or including flash offers during the sale, I don't think I will be as interested in these as I have been in previous years... Last time, the change encouraged publishers not to include crazy price cuts, so it was rather underwhelming.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
hermes said:
If they bring back the policy of not changing prices or including flash offers during the sale, I don't think I will be as interested in these as I have been in previous years... Last time, the change encouraged publishers not to include crazy price cuts, so it was rather underwhelming.
I found it more pro consumer, I didn't have to go to sleep hoping the one game I wanted didn't go on flash sale and I missed it or something.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
hermes said:
So you prefer when they use shamelessly psychologically manipulative tactics as opposed to an honest format that is more convenient and respectful of the customer's time and finances?

The publishers weren't going to continue the crazy cuts anyway. Take a look at when e-books first became a thing. The cost was heavily subsidised to keep the prices low and attractive to get people to accept the new distribution standards and practices. Now, e-books are often no less than the mass market paperbacks.

Same deal here. It really just is not in the seller's best interest to cut their own legs off. Interesting joke is what it has lead to is quite the sopposite of what most people perceive. Pick a hundred games at random and you'll find the majority of them match their historic lows in the previous sales format, and all of them are offered at a better discount than their non-ndail/flash discount. Only 16 or so games ever saw a flash discount. That'd mean you'd be lucky for a even a few hundred titles to be affected. The current format affects the entire 10K+ library. Meaning, more people actually see bigger savings now than they did before.

Plus iit did fix the last day transaction rush.

And let us not forget. With the refund policy, it really made no sense from the publisher to offer two discounts like that.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
hermes said:
I found flash sales to be quite annoying. Mostly because I'd have to wait to see if something I wanted was part of one instead of just buying the game at the beginning of the sale and be done with it.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I found the sales much more fun when I could get excited about the new daily deals and Flash deals. I didn't really see it as anti-consumer. The daily deals were really 48 hour deals and the shorter sales still lasted 8 hours. I can find 3min within an 8 hour window to see if there's a game I want. Shit, a year or two ago I was in Italy during a Steam sale and was able to buy a few things in my hotel room real quick. The deals are still decent but it doesn't seem like such an event now.

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
chozo_hybrid said:
hermes said:
I found it more pro consumer, I didn't have to go to sleep hoping the one game I wanted didn't go on flash sale and I missed it or something.
that's not really more pro consumer its just generally convenient, especially considering the permanent sales where about even in both cases, the benefits of the flash sales where just removed, and replaced with nothing.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
kekkres said:
chozo_hybrid said:
hermes said:
that's not really more pro consumer its just generally convenient, especially considering the permanent sales where about even in both cases, the benefits of the flash sales where just removed, and replaced with nothing.
Really, because I found stuff to get just as cheap as flash sales for me. Maybe it's because of my region, but it seemed over all a much better deal. Hence pro consumer to me.

Jan 27, 2011
Perfect, thanks for the heads up.

Here's hoping for some good deals on the handful of stuff I'm interested in. I'm on a tight time and money budget, so I wanna make each sale count.