Steam Comes to Macs Tomorrow With Portal, Torchlight

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Steam Comes to Macs Tomorrow With Portal, Torchlight

Valve's popular Steam service will be debuting on Apple-made PCs tomorrow May 12th, with two great games leading the charge: Indie darling Torchlight and Valve's own Portal.

Your heart really has to go out to those poor Mac gamers. For years they languished in darkness, warmed only by the scant fires lit by Blizzard and Bungie (and the other, like, three companies that cared enough to develop games for the Mac). Tomorrow, though, their long gaming drought reaches the beginning of its end: Steam is coming to Mac.

Gabe Newell is descending to the masses from the top of Mt. Bellevue, only instead of bringing the Ten Commandments he'll be bringing copies of Runic Games' Torchlight and Portal. So, it's a pretty fair trade-off.

If you've already bought any of the games available on the Mac version of Steam on your regular, non-Steve-Jobs-approved Steam, then there's some good news: The launch will come with the Steam Play feature, which "allows customers to purchase a game once and play it on all Steam supported platforms."

"Gamers who have previously purchased games on Steam will find them available in their account on the Mac as they are released."

Everybody knows Portal is awesome, but I'm just psyched that Steam is making it easier for Mac users to experience the goes out of its way to help people [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6697-Review-Torchlight].

If you by some reason don't have Torchlight - and being on a Mac is no excuse, especially now - you'll be buying it tomorrow, right? Right?!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well! That's pretty expected Portsl would be there on the front of the charge.

Well, I am sure in time the number of games will increase

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Is it blasphemous that I though Torchlight was Meh with Salt?

But PORTAL! Now thats news for Macs! It's funny, creative, innovative and everything else Mac users are portrayed as in Penny Arcade and XKCD.

Calumon: I though it was Linux for Ex-Kay-See-Dee?

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
Portal is an excellent game, and although I have never played Torchlight, I heard many great things about it. I'm happy Valve is gonna start off on the Mac with two such excellent titles.

LeeshaJoy

Jun 22, 2009
So it's due out tomorrow, that means it should actually come out by the end of the month, right? ;)

*has been burned by Valve Time too many times already*

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
josh797 said:
i thought tf2 would be day one. it was in the beta.
I also thought/hoped so. I've played Portal to death already, and Torchlight was fun enough for one playthrough, but I think that's enough for me. Suppose I'll have to grab it anyway just to see how it runs, since it won't cost me anything.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Great. So I've been waiting nearly two months for two games that I don't give a shit about?

Give me Half-Life 2!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Well, to be fair, Rome: Total War came to Mac, so I'm already satisfied when it comes to PC games... Thanks Gabe Newell, but no thanks :p

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Funk really seems to like Torchlight, not that I can blame him, it's a brilliant game.
OT: This video it seems will no longer be relevant, but still good news if you have mac.

Ororon19

Mar 17, 2009
I'm totally gonna get my grind on with steam for Mac and Torchlight, hopefully more games will be available because my house is devoid of PC's now and i miss HL2 and its expansions

KdS_22

Bada Bing! Wit' A Pipe!
Dec 9, 2009
I am so excited about this that I cannot describe it. Ever since my PS3 went down a few months ago I've been living off of my friends' game systems, but now there's comfort for me and my Macbook :) I'm definitely gonna be getting my GRIND on!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Whoo!

*happy dance*

Still, it's only two games. I'm not about to delete my bootcamp partition just yet.

EDIT: Huh. Ever so slightly ninja'd there.