Steam Comes to Macs Tomorrow With Portal, Torchlight

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
John Funk said:
Your heart really has to go out to those poor Mac gamers. For years they languished in darkness, warmed only by the scant fires lit by Blizzard and Bungie (and the other, like, three companies that cared enough to develop games for the Mac)
Well maybe I should feel sorry for them, but nothing was stopping them from getting a different OS for all those years so really it was self-inflicted anguish.

*adorns fireproof hat*

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
I actually don't care. I really don't get how people are so happy about this? People who bought mac never wanted to be gamers? ... Well with these kind of things in future that might be different ;)

But this is actually great business idea from steam to go mac. If they can get their things working in those, there will be tons of new customers in that area.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Sounds cool, good luck all future mac TF2 gamers!

And remember its right mouse to Uber- Oh wait...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
We've been able to right-click for over a decade stupid anti-Apple zealot

On-Topic:portal is hardly something to be excited about,never played torchlight so I can't really speak for it.What this news DOESN'T mention is that Killing Floor has a Mac release planned to be out around the same time as Mac Steam (now THAT'S a reason to celebrate!)

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Is it blasphemous that I though Torchlight was Meh with Salt?

But PORTAL! Now thats news for Macs! It's funny, creative, innovative and everything else Mac users are portrayed as in Penny Arcade and XKCD.

Calumon: I though it was Linux for Ex-Kay-See-Dee?
Last time I checked, those comics depict mac users as pretentious, computer illiterate assholes.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
awesome news for ya mac users :D

i myself build all my computers and will never defile my hands by buying a mac but great news anyways!

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
MorteSphere said:
Jack and Calumon said:

But PORTAL! Now thats news for Macs! It's funny, creative, innovative and everything else Mac users are portrayed as in Penny Arcade and XKCD.

Last time I checked, those comics depict mac users as pretentious, computer illiterate assholes.
Actually, I don't know about XKCD, but the two makers of Penny Arcade switched to Mac like 3 years ago, and their comic followed suit. They still use PC for the games, but they have proclaimed Mac as the superior OS multiple times.

OT: I'm excited. I have my bootcamp partition, but Windows is such an unintuitive mess... I'm glad I'll soon be able to play more great games on my native OS. And with Steam leading the charge, many developers are sure to follow. Finally, the one and only reason to choose PC over Mac is on its way out.

EDIT: Sorry, the only reason besides building your own desktop. So two reasons.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
MorteSphere said:
Jack and Calumon said:

Quick! Calumon! Someone has Challenged my views on the Internet! I must Defend Myself!

Calumon: Go, Jack, Go!

ALT TEXT: We actually just stand around the antivirus displays with the mac users just waiting for someone to ask.

Calumon: Jack, your really bad at proving a point, you know?

Jack: I feel like a failure.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Gosh darn it! Apparently, this Mac version of Steam will require Snow Leopard to operate! But, for professional reasons, I cannot upgrade to that atrocious abomination unto OSX. Curses!
Victory was within my grasp, but I am defeated once again.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Really?That was a pretty stupid move.

EDIT:I checked the Steam forums and it says Mac Steam will work with Leopard as well.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Aeshi said:
Really?That was a pretty stupid move.

EDIT:I checked the Steam forums and it says Mac Steam will work with Leopard as well.
Really? May I see the link?

*quakes with excitement*

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
While I'm not a big fan of Macintoshes by a long shot, giving more people the opportunity to play Torchlight is always a good thing.

Jan 29, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
You don't need anything but Torchlight.

Mac users are gonna get their GRIND on.
My expression:

Oh! The forthcoming deadly awesome horror!
Sir Kemper said:
Sounds cool, good luck all future mac TF2 gamers!

And remember its right mouse to Uber- Oh wait...
Just have to use ctrl-click. CRAP THAT CROUCHES.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Thaius said:
MorteSphere said:
Jack and Calumon said:

Actually, I don't know about XKCD, but the two makers of Penny Arcade switched to Mac like 3 years ago, and their comic followed suit. They still use PC for the games, but they have proclaimed Mac as the superior OS multiple times.

OT: I'm excited. I have my bootcamp partition, but Windows is such an unintuitive mess... I'm glad I'll soon be able to play more great games on my native OS. And with Steam leading the charge, many developers are sure to follow. Finally, the one and only reason to choose PC over Mac is on its way out.

EDIT: Sorry, the only reason besides building your own desktop. So two reasons.
yeah, pay 2x the price of what the hardware costs for a logo and a cleaner interface yet less feature rich, secure and stable operating system, right.

sorry, but mac os has so many problems you cannot call it a better os than windows (overall) with any degree of honesty and computer knowledge. and not to mention that apple gets people to buy service packs for ridiculous prices (save for snow leopard) just for features that have been in windows or even computers in general for 15-20+ years that macs have done without because of apples ridiculous policy of stagnating third party and freeware developers just so they can push their crappy, overpriced software.

give me a linux version and ill be happy. until then i dont really care.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
ratix2 said:
yeah, pay 2x the price of what the hardware costs for a logo and a cleaner interface yet less feature rich, secure and stable operating system, right.

sorry, but mac os has so many problems you cannot call it a better os than windows (overall) with any degree of honesty and computer knowledge. and not to mention that apple gets people to buy service packs for ridiculous prices (save for snow leopard) just for features that have been in windows or even computers in general for 15-20+ years that macs have done without because of apples ridiculous policy of stagnating third party and freeware developers just so they can push their crappy, overpriced software.

a) Have you ever used a Mac?Or even looked at Apple's website?

b) Apple doesn't sell service packs (and even if they did it's not like others haven't done that.windows 7 anyone?)

c) Restrict third party-stuff? Just about every console developer EVER is guilty of that.

d) Given OSX is much faster at loading,more efficent with it's power,more reliable,easy to fix in the rare event it does fail,actually has a decent design as opposed to being needlessly complex,doesn't have useless buttons,a better "OS progression Layout" (for want of a better term) and comes with a lot of freebies yes I'd say it's worth the extra money.

e) OSX is nowhere near that behind other OSes,least of all windows

f) (And before you or anyone else can even make this stupid out-of-date claim:) Macs have been Customizable and Upgradeable in terms of Hardware for OVER A YEAR NOW!!!

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
SpecklePattern said:
I actually don't care. I really don't get how people are so happy about this? People who bought mac never wanted to be gamers? ... Well with these kind of things in future that might be different ;)

But this is actually great business idea from steam to go mac. If they can get their things working in those, there will be tons of new customers in that area.
I've been using an Macintosh since I was like 6, and I got plenty of games for Mac os 9. It isn't until Microsoft got all agressive that the whole mac game scene dried up horribly (and apple didn't care at all, meh. ). I bought my current iMac and installed Windows on it to play games I couldn't on my Mac partition. Now soon enough, I can free some space up again :D
Now before people go namecalling, I'm not a mindless apple fanboy, and the lack of upgrade possibilities is pissing me off, but I've grown so used to the OS X and the incredible simplicity of just buying a computer and not having to check all parts individually that I just don't want to go back :p I've been using Windows as well for other purposes than gaming, but it just feels less intuitive for me than OS X tbh.

Got the orange box, CS:S, L4D.. Starcraft 2 already runs great on my iMac (beta pwns btw people.)

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Aeshi said:
ratix2 said:

a) Have you ever used a Mac?Or even looked at Apple's website? Or are you just another mindless Apple-hater come to brag about how your precious Windows/Linux is perfect and flawless?

b) Apple doesn't sell service packs (and even if they did it's not like others haven't done that.Windows 7 anyone?)

c) Restrict third party-stuff? Just about every console developer EVER is guilty of that.

d) Given OSX is much faster,more efficent with it's power,more reliable,easy to fix in the rare event it does fail,actually has a decent as opposed to being needlessly complex and comes with a lot of freebies yes I'd say it's worth the extra money.

e) OSX is nowhere near that behind other OSes,least of all Windows
have you ever used a computer or do you just believe that macs are so good that your blind to the obvious? and yes, i have to deal with macs at work and they are ALWAYS a pain in the ass to fix AND work with.

yes, apple DOES sell service packs, only the call them leopard, puma, etc and call them major updates when all they do is fix a few things and add in features that have existed under windows, linux and EVERY OTHER OPERATING SYSTEM for years like time machine (aka RAID 1), spaces (aka virtualization) and boot camp (aka partitioning a hard drive), then charges outrages prices for them.

were talking about PERSONAL COMPUTERS, NOT CONSOLES.

all of those things are because of my previous point, that apple strictly controls EVERY aspect of its os, even down to who can make programs for it, even going so far as to serve lawsuits to 3rd party and freeware developers who refuse to stop working on programs apple hasant given the green light to.

easier to fix my ass. with linux you can edit anything, instead of just using a workaround (which is what fixing problems in windows and mac os actually is) so you can acutally FIX the problems with the os. as for comparison to windows, if apple was as open as microsoft your mac would be a hell of a lot worse off. ever try a radeon hd 4870 with a mac? not a pretty sight.

and yes, it is. raid 1 has been available since the mid 80s, yet it took until 2005 for apple to incorporate it into their computers. a similar, yet completely unpublicized feature has existed in windows since win 95, and has been in every microsoft os since. and other "new features" of mac os are just that, unpublicised features of windows, linux, other os's and even third party programs that have existed for years.

and neither linux nor windows are perfect, but neither is mac os, and its not better that either that by a long shot and if you cant admit that your an idiot. stop sucking on apples teat and learn something.

f) (And before you or anyone else can even make this stupid out-of-date claim:) Macs have been Customizable and Upgradeable in terms of Hardware for OVER A YEAR NOW!!!
oh, and ive only been doing that with windows and linux FOR 20 YEARS. and macs arent behind the times.