Steam Expands Library to Non-Game Software

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Steam Expands Library to Non-Game Software

Soon you will do more than waste time on Steam.

Long ago, in the before times, people thought digital distribution of software was a really dumb idea. "We need to buy our software in boxes at a store!" publishers cried back in 1998. Then Valve came out with Steam in 2003 and proved gamers wanted to buy their software from the comfort of their homes wearing only socks. Now Gabe Newell and company want to extend Valve's reach to non-game software. Starting September 5th, Valve will have applications for sale on Steam that are not just for entertainment. There's no announcement of what specific applications will be available when the service debuts, but Valve says the launch library will "range from creativity to productivity."

"The 40 million gamers frequenting Steam are interested in more than playing games," said Mark Richardson from Valve. "They have told us they would like to have more of their software on Steam, so this expansion is in response to those customer requests."

Valve also mentioned that the applications will likely take advantage of all the secondary Steam functions such as Cloud space to save documents or projects, Steamworks to allow installation, and automatic updating through Steam. Developers can submit applications to be included in this new service through Steam Greenlight.

Basically, Newell wants Steam to be as diverse as Apple's App Store, Google's Android Play and maybe even compete with the Windows 8 he hates so much [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118706-Gabe-Newell-Thinks-Steam-Can-Help-Mainstream-Linux]. I'm not sure who will come out on top, but if there's a Steam sale on Microsoft Office, we'll know the end times are at hand.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I can see them merging with Linux in the future to form some kind of semi-opensource OS thing. Just a vibe I get after reading this.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Then Valve came out with Steam in 2003 and proved gamers wanted to buy their software from the comfort of their homes wearing only socks.
Great. You made me imagine Russell Brand sitting at a computer playing Team Fortress 2 while only wearing socks. And my day was going so well.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Anyone else disappointed that the beginning of the article didn't read:

"Soon" you will do more than waste time on Steam.

Missed opportunity for a classic Valve joke D:

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks this really isn't a good idea? I don't really want to get software through Steam. Maybe through a sister service run by Valve or something, but let Steam be for games.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The only way this would work is if they have the same kinds of connections that allow them to sell as crazy discounts as they have before. If it doesn't have that, it's just a side service that nobody will use.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
cidbahamut said:
Am I the only one who thinks this really isn't a good idea? I don't really want to get software through Steam. Maybe through a sister service run by Valve or something, but let Steam be for games.
Exactly what I though... I am a little bit disappointed that Valve wants to shift its focus from the gaming industry to general software.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I think its a great idea, i would love to see adobe and stuff on steam, i also love the idea of them getting into the ring now rather than later when ms and apple, google, get strangleholds on the market, plus i am rather curios to see if they can get the whole sale thing working for some of these apps like they do for games, nm what all apps they will be able to carry.

alot of valve head are modders and such tho it kind of makes sense to focus on 3d, graphic, scripting stuff. tools that modders find useful.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
This seems like a silly idea, but whatever.

Super sale on Adobe Creative Suite! 80% off! Only £1000!

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
If we get Steam sales on the autodesk software I will be over the moon about this. Cause that shits expensive!

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
God.
Steam was meant to be for gaming.
cidbahamut said:
My exact thoughts articulated better than I could at this hour.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Should be interesting. While I do feel like adding non games to a game service could muddle steam. I am interested to see what steams digital distribution power can do for this non game software.
Also... let their be e-books, game soundtracks (Listen to bastions soundtrack.) and creative software.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Fappy said:
Anyone else disappointed that the beginning of the article didn't read:

"Soon" you will do more than waste time on Steam.

Missed opportunity for a classic Valve joke D:
Greg Tito said:
Basically, Newell wants Steam to be as diverse as Apple's App Store, Google's Android Play and maybe even compete with the Windows 8 he hates so much [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118706-Gabe-Newell-Thinks-Steam-Can-Help-Mainstream-Linux]. I'm not sure who will come out on top, but if there's a Steam sale on Microsoft Office, we'll know the end times are at hand.
I highly doubt that'll ever happen Tito.
As far as Valve is concerned, the Windows OS has essentially been...

*puts on sunglasses*

... Left 4 Dead
How'd you like THAT Fappy?
I approve. Stupid jokes like that make my world go round.