Steam Goes Mad With Gargantuan Holiday Sale of 2010

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Steam Goes Mad With Gargantuan Holiday Sale of 2010

Get ready to empty your wallets into the coffers of Valve over the next couple of weeks.

Valve has begun its highly anticipated Steam Holiday Sale of 2010, and it's already a doozy on day one. It's hard to tell exactly how many games are on sale, but by my count I see a billion or two, or three. The Steam Holiday Sale will run through January 2, 2011.

Here's how the promotion works this year: There are daily deals, package deals, and individual publishers are putting their entire catalogs (or most of them) on sale at reduced prices. Valve is also holding a sale within the sale by awarding a Holiday Bonus discount on specific titles if Steam users already own other titles.

For example, Portal is currently priced at $3.74. However, if you own Half-Life 2, Steam will give it to you for $2.25. There will be a different Holiday Bonus title for each day of the promotion.

The daily deals are self-explanatory, but I'll explain them anyway just for fun. There will be new daily deals every day. The package deals come in both indie and non-indie, with publishers like THQ, Rockstar Games, and Telltale Games putting together entire packs of games for up to nearly 90% off. There are currently a dozen different indie package deals, each with a theme, that include 5 titles for $5. There's also the Indie Heavy Hitters pack which includes 8 titles like Braid and Zeno Clash for $20, and there will be an indie deal of the day every day until the sale ends.

Just about every major publisher on Steam is discounting the majority of their catalogs, and there's even a big section for Mac-specific discounts. The best way to peruse the Steam Holiday Sale is really just to visit the Steam website [http://store.steampowered.com/holidaysale] and flip through the easy-to-use book interface. It's almost as long as War and Peace, so expect to browse for a while, and bring a credit card.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/holidaysale]

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
To be honest, it would be cheaper for me right now to buy a decent computer so I could take advantage of all these deals I wish I could use. Why do I own such a bad computer?!

Apr 28, 2008
Meh, doesn't look too interesting to me-HOLY SHIT ITS STRANGER'S WRATH HDJISNFGOWNGNG!!!

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Woodsey said:
If this is what a monopoly looks like, sign me the fuck on.
To be fair, since Thanksgiving pretty much all of the digital distributors has had a sale of some description. Gamersgate has had a particularly large one, and I imagine they'll attempt to price match the best deals again.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Holy fucking hell. Must... Resist... AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

*Going home to make some... investments*

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
Irridium said:
Meh, doesn't look too interesting to me-HOLY SHIT ITS STRANGER'S WRATH HDJISNFGOWNGNG!!!
I agree with this post.

*goes to get wallet*
It is the pc upgraded version..the main character's polygons have went from 6800 to about 15000 i believe. I read that somewhere..but forgot where.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Valve says "Don't worry about buying Christmas presents, just buy yourself shit."

Question: Why is Activision so tight-arsed? I don't think I've ever seen an Activision game go on sale on Steam, not to mention that their titles are the most expensive and never seem to go down in price. Now in this Christmas sale Activision is conspiculously absent. Not that I care, sales for other developers will go through the roof and Activision will be left wondering why their Christmas coffers aren't as packed as they're used to.

"Bah, Humbug!"

On the sale, haven't found anything I want to buy yet but it all is very generous.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Why? WHY?

I'm broke, damnit. I gotta remember to save up some cash before the holidays in the future. Although, I bought Left 4 Dead 2 the other day at 75% off. I think I love Steam right now.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
*Buys stranger's wrath*
*Downloads stranger's wrath*
* Tries stranger's wrath*
* Notices that the main character, side characters, etc. are the low-polygon versions*
* Presses C to go into first-person/aiming mode*
* Game completely glitches up, redraws framebuffer and crossbow but not level geometry*

NOOOOoooooooo...... !

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I already got my eye on two games that are going for $5 each... I'm trying to resist, but it's a losing battle. >.o

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Its a shame that i've already gotten all the games i've wanted, pretty much.

I guess I'll just get some gifts for people instead! :3

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I honestly don't mind because I think the game is worth at least $30 and I'm happy to support the devs, but did they really have to lower Mount & Blade Warband down to $15 five days after I bought it, haha.