700gpu
300-330 cpu
100 cooler
100 for mobo
PSU 50-150 (i couldn't find it)
120 ssd
60 for hd(probably)
180 for the ram (if corsair vengeance)

After case and optical drive your looking at 1800 bucks in HW for the low price of 2500+...

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Dragonbums said:
So basically this manufacturer made a machine where your basically paying $2k to play things on Steam?
No one said it only plays Steam games, it's a PC after all. The price seems about right to me for a pre-fab, parts plus labor.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Me55enger said:
I must be missing something here, because to me this feels like paying £1157.76 for an OS.

PC included, of course.
Which is funny because the OS can be downloaded for free.
Clowndoe said:
No one said it only plays Steam games, it's a PC after all. The price seems about right to me for a pre-fab, parts plus labor.
Around a thousand bucks for the job of putting a PC together? I'll pass.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Clowndoe said:
Dragonbums said:
So basically this manufacturer made a machine where your basically paying $2k to play things on Steam?
Also, I believe their website states "lifetime support" along with three years of "limited support", whatever that means. It sounds quite similar to what HP sells to business clients, their carepacks. The carepacks can cover a wide range of support requests, even down to limited overnight parts delivery, which in turn have to be installed by an official HP repair facility.

*EDIT* Oh right, and news about the $500-$700 CyberPower Steam Machine is hot off the press [http://www.legitreviews.com/cyberpowerpc-debuts-steam-os-powered-gaming-system-ces_132522], although I've never been to "Legitreviews" before. And any site that feels the need to contain the word 'legit' makes me doubt their veracity frankly.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
The real question is how much premium we're paying for this:

Price: $2584
Approx. price for parts at Newegg: $1800

Price at current exchange rate: £1700 inc. UK shipping
Approx. price for parts at Scan: £1300

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I'm sorry but the specs make absolutely no fucking sense.

Motherboard: ASUS H87I-PLUS
That is a mini-ITX motherboard with zero room for expansion and no overclocking features...and they're putting an i7 4770K in it. Wrong wrong wrong.

Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition
That is cutting it VERY close to how much power those parts can crank up, with overclocking I'm pretty sure it would hit 100% load and fry unless it was gold-standard quality. Once again leaves you with zero expansion room.

Finally there's the price:
Conclusion: HUGE rip-off, do not buy.
Select parts individually from online stores and then build your own for around $800-1000 cheaper!

If people are that scared of assembling the computer, stores like CyberPower or iBuyPower can assemble it FOR YOU for less than $100 (including full warranty).

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Alexander Kirby said:
The real question is how much premium we're paying for this:

Price: $2584
Approx. price for parts at Newegg: $1800

Price at current exchange rate: £1700 inc. UK shipping
Approx. price for parts at Scan: £1300
Cowabungaa said:
Me55enger said:
I must be missing something here, because to me this feels like paying £1157.76 for an OS.

PC included, of course.
Which is funny because the OS can be downloaded for free.
Clowndoe said:
Some people don't want to put in the time and effort it takes to tune a machine for peak efficiency, especially if this comes factory-overclocked. It takes a fair amount of effort to get a good overclock; they don't just raise the clock speed, then raise the voltage if it fails to boot.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
I honestly expected this version to have Titan with the best hardware you can stick into that case. But 2 grand for second-best or so... is Steam as a brand name worth that much?

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Yuuki said:

That is a mini-ITX motherboard with zero room for expansion and no overclocking features...and they're putting an i7 4770K in it. Wrong wrong wrong.
I'd like to say that the motherboard is actually very good and has all the features that a high end ATX board would, including overclocking. As for lack of expansion room, it's a small form factor. Remember that these are designed to be in the living room like consoles. Not many people have room for a full ATX size case under their TV. And yes, the PSU is gold standard, although I must admit 500W does seem to be cutting it close and they really are asking for a huge premium to build this for you.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I would really ask you to reconsider if it's worth paying this much money for a thing you play games on without much other functionality and at the moment requires games to be streamed to be playable at all.
Let's nip this in the bud:

Steam already has a sizable Linux Compatible section of Steam. The games in this section do not need to be streamed.

That's all.

OT: Wow. I wonder how many they'll sell at that price.

Auberon said:
I honestly expected this version to have Titan with the best hardware you can stick into that case. But 2 grand for second-best or so... is Steam as a brand name worth that much?
Probably not, honestly.

These guys aren't doing anything that Alienware wasn't already doing.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Auberon said:
I honestly expected this version to have Titan with the best hardware you can stick into that case.
Actually the Titan is no longer the best for gaming. The 780 Ti surpasses it in the vast majority of games and is the new king of single GPUs. It's cheaper too.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I would really ask you to reconsider if it's worth paying this much money for a thing you play games on without much other functionality and at the moment requires games to be streamed to be playable at all.

I mean videogames just aren't that important, there's so much else you could do with that money (like buy a console along with 20 games)

You'd need a games library the size of a house before steam sales start making you money back on that. If you really want to play games on a TV but refuse to buy a console, employ someone to carry your desktop back and forth for you. It'd probably be cheaper
Umm... it has Windows AND SteamOS installed on it,so you can use it pretty much like a normal PC in every way. And with specs like that, it will absolutely NOT require games to be streamed to it. It can easily run them on its own, althought it probably will support the streaming feature I guarantee it will not require it to work...

And since the console has windows built in as well, it will not be limited to only running Linux games.

That said I would never pay that much for this monster but I'm sure some will be interested.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
UNHchabo said:
Cowabungaa said:
Some people don't want to put in the time and effort it takes to tune a machine for peak efficiency, especially if this comes factory-overclocked. It takes a fair amount of effort to get a good overclock; they don't just raise the clock speed, then raise the voltage if it fails to boot.
Well, wait for something else, then. Getting someone to build your machine should NOT cost you that much. This Steam Machine is for bragging rights and not much else. There are other manufacturers, wait for them to put out something and see if their labor costs are less ludicrous.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The specs are rather shitty for the price point.
You could probably build it yourself for HALF... and then you could OC and save even more on parts.

Ridiculous rip off!!!

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Auberon said:
You're a tad behind times. Titan is not a gaming card, it's a compute card disguised as a gaming card and it's main function was to make the 780 priced at $650 seem like a good deal. That phase has since passed.

Currently Titan has no place among R9-290, GTX780, R9-290X or 780 Ti as far as "gaming cards" go.

Alexander Kirby said:
Yuuki said:

I'd like to say that the motherboard is actually very good and has all the features that a high end ATX board would, including overclocking.
Umm if the 4-phase VRM and H87 chipset didn't make it obvious enough, it's far from "good" as far as mini-ITX boards go. Z87 is where the high-end performance and features are, it just doesn't make sense to use anything else with such powerful components.
Asus themselves have 2 mITX Z87 boards for high performance:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87IPRO/
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_IMPACT/

^ Now those are some awesome little mobo's worthy of an i7 4770K + 780 Ti rig.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
lacktheknack said:
BrotherRool said:
Let's nip this in the bud:

Steam already has a sizable Linux Compatible section of Steam. The games in this section do not need to be streamed.

That's all.
Don't worry, when the steambox was announced I went through Steam's library of Linux compatible games, and whilst steam is indeed have 10% Linux compatible (so only 2700 games that you would need to stream) most of those games are fairly small indie titles (often humble-bundle style deals because the Humble company encourage it) that aren't exactly going to tax a $1900 machine

...on the other hand I did miss this bit
Sight Unseen said:
Umm... it has Windows AND SteamOS installed on it,so you can use it pretty much like a normal PC in every way.
So yeah sorry, I messed up, you wouldn't have any problems with streaming. Thanks for the info! (<- That's a genuine thanks, I really dislike spreading misinformation)

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
this doesn't gel...

I've seen the beta testing steam boxs (theres a post on reddit detailing one) and they not only look nothing like this the specs are better (though theres no mention of cost)

what the deuce?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
That is actually a poor build for top end:
- they only give you one graphics card with it
- a motherboard that supports no more then one card
- a power supply just barely covering current parts
- the water cooling only covers CPU
- and the heat from that radiator is actually blowing into the case itself

Now I will not for a moment claim they put in bad components, but just slapping a price list together is a far way from a real good build.