Steam Machine By Digital Storm Will Cost You $1900

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
BrotherRool said:
If you really want to play games on a TV but refuse to buy a console, employ someone to carry your desktop back and forth for you. It'd probably be cheaper
Or buy tiny pieces of furniture and put them around your PC monitor so it looks like you are playing games on a massive TV that is far away.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Fount a nice promo video from the builders.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsaInQiNhNA

I don't realy like the look, but they do take care for details.

They say the use the up most care building and shiping.
Unfortunately, the guy assembling the pc isn't even wearing anti static wristband.

Even a lot DIY builder use these.

cant realy get over the price.
I have a i7 4770k, asus gryphon z87 bord, 120 gb ssd, stonger PSU (although silver not gold)
only an old GPU, GTX 570(does the job nicely for now)

Didn't buy it all at once, but the total is far less.(little under ?1000 or $1300 probably)

But they do use a High-end case and cooling system.
Those will no undoubtedly jack the price up a bit.

Hope this wil give a start sign for releasing more senseble Steamboxes.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
mixadj said:
At this point all of those high end specs on these Steam Machines is unneeded as the only games you can run on the OS must be Linux compatible. By extension these games are either Indie or Source based(From what I have gathered from their Linux games list) and not too intensive. The exception I have found so far is Brutal Legend but even that game came out a few years ago. I have yet to find something that wont run well on High settings on a SteamBox I threw together from spare parts and placed in a cardboard box. A 2nd gen i5 and an old 9600 GSO with 768 MB of VRAM seem to do the trick.
First, it comes dual booted with Windows, so every windows game can play on the Windows install, and second there are AAA games being ported to Linux now thanks to steam os (Rome: Total War being one example)

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well this was to be expected given the price and specs, all it seems to serve is to be an over the top powerhouse with the addition of bragging rights.

meanwhile i'll be having to spend £420 just for my CPU,mobo and new case alone without being able to afford a new monitor since my current is stuck with VGA.

I really just want to get a Wii U in the end though by looking at parts with high prices let alone those expensive Steam machine builds (yes I'm well aware of those lower priced builds but that's besides the point).

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Is it sad that I'm looking at the pics for this box and the only thing I can focus on is that the designers put the fans on the wrong side of the radiator? NEVER do push on a radiator, all the dust and crap gets lodged between the fan and radiator and you have to disassemble the thing to clean it out. A pull config just means you can vacuum or compressed air the radiator clean on the other side.

Bad designers...bad, bad designers.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Yuuki said:
Umm if the 4-phase VRM and H87 chipset didn't make it obvious enough, it's far from "good" as far as mini-ITX boards go. Z87 is where the high-end performance and features are, it just doesn't make sense to use anything else with such powerful components.
Asus themselves have 2 mITX Z87 boards for high performance:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87IPRO/
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_IMPACT/

^ Now those are some awesome little mobo's worthy of an i7 4770K + 780 Ti rig.
That's definitely one part that baffeled me. It's a ridiculous board to put in a $1000+ rig of any sort.

The pricing I've come up with so far:
Gainward GeForce GTX 780 Ti Phantom - 620
Intel® Core? i7-4770K - 294
Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W - 82 (Alternate actually doesn't let you select a 500W power supply since that is ridiculously little for a 780ti+4770k)
Corsair Obsidian 350D - 87
Corsair Neutron GTX 2,5" SSD 120 GB - 118
ASUS H87I-Plus (C2), Mainboard - 105
Seagate ST1000DX001 1 TB - 80
Crucial DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600 Kit - 123
Corsair Hydro Series H100i - 105
LG GH-24NS (CD-Drive) - 15

= 1628...

And I'm paying nearly 1000 bucks for a free OS?

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Jeroenr said:
Fount a nice promo video from the builders.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsaInQiNhNA

I don't realy like the look, but they do take care for details.

They say the use the up most care building and shiping.
Unfortunately, the guy assembling the pc isn't even wearing anti static wristband.

Even a lot DIY builder use these.

cant realy get over the price.
I have a i7 4770k, asus gryphon z87 bord, 120 gb ssd, stonger PSU (although silver not gold)
only an old GPU, GTX 570(does the job nicely for now)

Didn't buy it all at once, but the total is far less.(little under ?1000 or $1300 probably)

But they do use a High-end case and cooling system.
Those will no undoubtedly jack the price up a bit.

Hope this wil give a start sign for releasing more senseble Steamboxes.
Even for the same specs, with a ridiculously good case (corsair obsidian 650D) and excellent cooling (Corsair H100i), you still only get around 1600-1700. Also, the motherboard in that build is ridiculous, yours is easily 10-20 times better.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I can get all of that for a grand and a half less in New Zealand in USD....

Except it'd just not come in a fancy box with 'Steam Machine' on it.

Also, the SteamOS is free, so unless Valve are going to start charging a grand for it very soon, that is disgustingly overpriced to the point where buying a console AND a gaming PC would still be cheaper. In fact for 2.5K USD, I could buy a better gaming PC, a PS4/Xbone, and still have money left over for a few games. And considering I'm not intending on getting either new console for at least a year until the game library gets bigger....

Why would I ever consider getting one? As for the cheaper Steam Machine models, can they play and look better than consoles? Because unless they play (As in, run at a smooth FPS with next to no stuttering) and look better than consoles, there is no reason to buy them. Ever.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Is anyone actually surprised that an "over-the-counter" PC is priced higher than the parts would be worth if bought yourself on newegg? It really seems redundant at this point to say "its over-priced" when pretty much ANYTHING you can build yourself is over-priced when you buy it pre-assembled.
Do any of you know what production costs are and that some people are incapable of building their own systems whether due to time constraints or personal knowledge, experience or comfort zone? Its easier for some just to pay more for what you can build yourself.
Granted it is a steep price, and yeah personally I wouldn't buy it or recommend it to anyone I know (since if they really wanted one I could build it for less). But if I were selling pre-made systems myself fuck yes I would mark up the price for labor costs and PROFIT because I don't work for free nor do I shortchange myself.
Paying for convenience means you sometimes pay steep.

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
Neronium said:
Mr.Tea said:

"1800$ ?!!? So much for PC gaming being affordable! herp derp"

And other such adorably ignorant comments...
Thing is though, for that price you could build your own high-end gaming PC and still have enough for a next-gen console. I think that's what people are getting at because that's damned expensive when compared to the model iBuy Pro Power has ($500).
This thing is basically an like Alienware, overpriced and you can get way cheaper to do just about as much. Doesn't help though that there are many people who don't know about the specs in PCs or don't understand what it all means. So then they believe that the more expensive it is, it must obviously have the best specs, which isn't always the case.
It comes with both steam OS and Windows OS if you had read the article. So it's not just a gaming machine. Valve also said there is nothing stopping you from installing whatever OS you want along side or instead of steam OS on any steam machine.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Well, it's a bit of an expensive build but in honesty you can probably overclock it easily and extend it's life considerably. Since it's running windows you can also do all sorts of other things on it which isn't something you can do on a console....I'm not stating that as a kick against consoles, just that photoshop-etc isn't an option for them.

So this is neat seeing this sort of thing, maybe it'll have hardware creators try to make differently sized/shaped things beyond the norm.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
MrDumpkins said:
It comes with both steam OS and Windows OS if you had read the article. So it's not just a gaming machine. Valve also said there is nothing stopping you from installing whatever OS you want along side or instead of steam OS on any steam machine.
And I find the fact that it comes with Windows 8 instead of 7 to not fully be worth it. It's better if before ordering you would get to choose your own OS instead. Even then as well it's still fluffed up and is way too expensive for what they are offering in it, and besides when looking at the regular version of Windows 8 it only costs about $100-$120. And the whole point of the Steam OS was to basically make it easier for people who don't know about PC specs to buy a gaming PC, well that and Valve has been very open with their dislike of Windows 8.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Anyone who thinks this is a good idea because "some people don't want to put PCs together" should send me a message. I'll sit with you, help you pick out parts within your budget and build it for you for $100 plus the cost of shipping.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
That's it. I have to know.

Does anyone know a single reason as to why I should buy a steam machine instead of some other PC or just build my own? What puts these PC's apart from others? And don't tell me it's the OS because you can download that for free on any PC and will always be able to according to their own website.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
How the fuck are they using a 500W PSU? That thing must be made of pure fucking magic. That PSU is going to be absolutely fucked in terms of longevity with the hardware involved.

Edit, I spent... next February it'll be three years old, I think about 1,500 euros building a machine that's about as powerful as that, my specs:

Overclocked i7 (4.2GHz with hyperthreading enabled)
12GB of 1600 DDR3 Ram
580GTX 3GB
1x 64GB SSD
2x 2TB HDD
2x 1TB HDD,
950w Corsair PSU
Generic DVD +/- DVD/CD Burner/Reader
Win7 Ultimate 32/64bit
Coolermaster RC 1000 Cosmos Case

The only things I've changed in the last three years was a mouse, adding in a pair of X-Box controllers for fighting games, a wireless headset and a mechanical keyboard. Already had a 24" screen and a 19" screen from the previous two machines I built so my rig is pretty beastly. That's also the joy of building your own machines, you can cannibalise your stuff into new builds so in about another year and two months when February rolls around again, I may just replace the motherboard, cpu, GPU ram and leave one of the 1TB HDDs and maybe even the SSD and buy a new motherboard, CPU, ram and GPU. Everything else is cake.