Steam Machine Pricing Revealed - From $459 to $4,999

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Vigormortis said:
That's great and all, but what about those who are looking to build a new PC? What of those who are looking to upgrade or supplement their current rig? What about those who want as minimal hassle as possible in jumping into PC gaming?

The Steam Machines offer a solution to these people.
I sometimes wonder if some people believe Valve invented the concept of pre built machines or something. These things offer zero that you couldn't already get... they're an attempt to make some companies extra money through ignorance I suppose for the companies involved, an attempt by Valve to push their crappy OS+controller (OS makes sense, controller is just for cash).

Vivi22 said:
Steam machines aren't, nor have they ever been, touted as consoles. They're pre-built PC's running Steam OS (so dedicated gaming machines essentially) with the intent on taking a lot of the guesswork out of it for people that just want a gaming PC but don't know shit about gaming PC's.
I suppose we're supposed to conveniently forget those other "steam machines" ever existed eh? Those that were *gasp* than marketed as console PCs.

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
Biggest advantage I can see for these things, is that when we are a few years further into the current generation, steam machines will be much more powerful than the competition for the same price, and have better, cheaper versions of many of the same games, with a promise of future backwards compatibility, of course.

I guess Valve is hoping you will all buy these things for your kids instead of Xbones/PS4's, or that current console owners will be compelled to switch over.

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
Alienware having the cheapest base price out of the entire lineup. Now I have truly seen everything.

Sep 14, 2009
now I'm not interested in this, but I do know of quite a few people who would be..I doubt these will be popular off the bat, but give it a year and it might just fill its own niche and hopefully give windows 10 something to compete with (linux is already making a strong position as it is, but hopefully with valve behind this it'll give microsoft a fire under their ass to make windows 10 actually gamer friendly)

until the majority of games come out for linux/steamOS, then I'm not exactly interested in this, but hey, a person can dream.
Hiname said:
Alienware having the cheapest base price out of the entire lineup. Now I have truly seen everything.
now that is hilarious, and it's almost a bit terrifying...what the hell did they do with the hardware that other companies couldn't? alienware just drools at the mouth of making things overpriced, so are they cutting corners on reliability, or are other companies being greedy as fuck?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
No one is going to buy a console at $459 in this day in age. I mean, look at the XBone! That was $499 and until the price drop it was selling as bad as the WiiU (And worse when Mario Kart 8 came out). So the fact that none of these Consoles are cheaper then $400's will mean that the Steam Machine is going to be a failure.

Then again, I never had faith in the Steam Machine, really. Any console made by multiple manufacturers is never a successful one (Looking at you, CD-i).

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
The thing about all of these is you will only be able to run the approx. 1000 games that were ported to Linux. Unless you either buy an OEM copy of Windows (which you won't be able to move to a new machine) or spend $200 (or the best deal online you can find) for the retail copy of your preferred version of Windows. I'm not seeing several games I have on the Linux lists. Buying a premade PC with a custom Linux distro already installed and a controller I'm already not liking does not look like my future.

At this point MS should stop trying to shove Xbox Live up Window's arse to turn it into a hand puppet for a moment and try to make a gaming centric distribution of Win 10 that doesn't cost over $100. That might put some nice competition on Valve and maybe make both OSes a little healthier for consumers.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
So, about the specs of that DRIFT...

Price: Starting at $849

CPU: Up to Intel® Core? 4790K
GPU: Up to NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX 980 and AMD R9 290X
Storage: Up to 2x 1TB SSD and 1x 6TB 3.5? HDD
RAM: Up to 16GB of DDR 3 Memory
Other: Epic 120 Liquid Cooling
It lists the lowest price a DRIFT system can be, then it lists the absolute top end equipment it may have or be upgraded to have.

So does that mean $849 gets you nothing in that list?

Does it mean that if you buy that system that there is only a chance that you get those items with the company placing in cheaper parts at their whim?

Seriously though, I hate the marketing practice of showing a price with a feature listing that does not apply to the listed price. At least make it clear what exactly the base price gets you before advertising the upgrades.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
That's about as clear and concise as a Melville novel made of mud. I apologize if I don't see genuine advantage in getting one of these over a gaming PC -- other than the price of the box is probably getting you better parts to start than the same price for a gaming rig otherwise would. Feel free to enlighten me though.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Vivi22 said:
Steam machines aren't, nor have they ever been, touted as consoles. They're pre-built PC's running Steam OS (so dedicated gaming machines essentially) with the intent on taking a lot of the guesswork out of it for people that just want a gaming PC but don't know shit about gaming PC's.
(sorry snipping for space)

They have those already, they're called "store bought pcs" or just "laptops".

And to say this isn't supposed to be a console is a bit silly. I mean most consoles are just prebuilt PCs anyway with a limited OS, and that's just what the Steam OS is, a different form of Playstation or xbox dashboard.

Now of course I may be missing a huge element to this, but I don't really see the draw. One of the things that currently pushes steam to provide a better deal in it's sales is the competition online; GoG, origin (for what it is), direct company downloads etc all prevent a monopoly existing in the pc market and a dedicated Steam machine would destroy that.

Plus, I feel people are forgetting, This is no longer the valve that made Half life 2 episode 2 and TF2, this is the Valve that won't provide quality control on their greenlight service or give a proper refunding service if your game won't work.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
if they're trying to match xbone/ps4 controller price, they're never going to convince people to switch over for zero actual known benefit

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Too late, Gabe. I assembled myself a new gaming PC just last year, and it's going to tide me over for at least another four with its current specs, at which point I'll probably just upgrade it a bit.

I can see the thinking here - if you want a quality gaming machine you can shell out for a mid-range version and feel like king of the hill among current-gen users, and then just pay small bucks for a second PC to do all your office work on. However, since I have my still fairly new PC that's designed to do everything I'm not in the market for Steam Machines, and I get the feeling it'll be this way for a lot of people.

I do love the concept of the Steam Machines, but I have my doubts about their market viability. Time will tell, I guess.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Vivi22 said:
summation = steam machines are not consoles, and should not ever be compared to consoles
sorry but even though you have spent the better part of 1 and half pages of text trying to say that steam machines are not consoles, and that anyone who thinks they might be consoles is wrong I don't buy your line of reasoning to which the best you've given is "they are PCs, so therefore not consoles" which doesn't hold water for one simple resounding truth 'consoles are specialized PCs' they have unified specs, they have unified naming (when the thought of possible band confusion with yourself is taken into account eg: Nintendo). I buy a game for and XBox360 whether I have a low tier Gen1 360. or a top tier Gen5 360 the game will still run. but even as a person who has done the spreadsheets worth of work to determine if my system will run a given PC game I can tell you first hand that this is a detriment of the PC gaming community.

let me walk you through the real world of PC gaming with a direct case example of Assassin's Creed (pick any of them) within an hour of the game being announced there are at least 5 threads on the steam forums, and the Ubisoft forums each asking the same question "will my system run this", and then countless replies of "maybe", "yes", "no", "what if I have this instead". as a person who has worked in game development I can also tell you that minimum system requirements in 80% of cases is bullshit at the least they are what the developers were using, and at the worst they are just guesses, and then most of the time they are not feasibly testable because testing against a backlog of 5000+ different hardware configs is a joke.

even Gabe has said that "I would want to remove some of the barriers to PC gaming" and you know what has a lower barrier for entry then a PC a console. yes I will give you that they are not being called consoles, but at the same time the only reason that I can say they fall short (literal, and figurative intent) of being consoles is that their pricing is still prohibitive, their specs are non-uniform, and they will still create situations of the questions "will my system run this?"

the worst part about these steam machines (And I would be willing to bet real money on this to my real life friends, but none of them would take it cause they are all smarter then that), and what will drive a real nail in their motherboards is they will try to keep up with tech "innovations" (either Intel, AMD, ATI, or Nvidia yelling "we have something new and shiny buy it"), and then release a new version every year making them even more prohibitive a product then a console (at least if I throw down on one of those I know I would have to relatively get a new one for about 4-5 years). the PC market is hard to get into as a customer for very specific reasons: figuring what hardware you need to benchmark at, finding a retailer/seller that will offer that hardware at a reasonable price, assembling/building/setting-up the hardware, and then potentially having to upgrade that hardware. these system don't answer any of these issues, and therefore they will not receive needed penetration, and at the most I see these as a thing that will stick around for maybe 3 years then fade away

my point is just because no one at Valve said the word "console" mainly because that would either aggravate the PC playing base that believes in that "PC master race" BS, or caused even more confusion over what "console" is in the general populous. by calling them steam machine on all of these, and saying that they will run games on steam (they never said all games, or even if they will continue to run games in the future) they are effectively calling them consoles without using the specific words. just because the super market doesn't say apples, and oranges are fruit when stocking them doesn't mean they are not fruit.

Roboshi said:
Vivi22 said:
Now of course I may be missing a huge element to this, but I don't really see the draw. One of the things that currently pushes steam to provide a better deal in it's sales is the competition online; GoG, origin (for what it is), direct company downloads etc all prevent a monopoly existing in the pc market and a dedicated Steam machine would destroy that.

Plus, I feel people are forgetting, This is no longer the valve that made Half life 2 episode 2 and TF2, this is the Valve that won't provide quality control on their greenlight service or give a proper refunding service if your game won't work.
I really don't see this creating a monopoly mainly considering that they would have to follow a few steps that would cause mass exoduses with each step: require any developer that wanted to post a new game on steam also post it in SteamOS compatible (depending on creation tool this is not conducive), and offer different prices for different versions of the game (effectively making the SteamOS version less expensive). for the most part there are still sites that sell even steam-keys to games at competitive prices (HumbleBundle Store, Green Man Gaming), so I don't see them trying to lock down their system.

the only thing that would cause their system to become a monopoly is if Microsoft (similar to Win8. though I am pretty sure most people just stuck with Win7), or Apple (I don't actually know why people stick with these draconian butt-heads) do something to drive so many people away that they gain what they feel to be market saturation, but those would be seen as bad business moves on the parts of Microsoft, and Apple, and not aggressive practices by Valve. then at the end of the day in a Linux environment it is still possible to sandbox in Windows.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hiname said:
Speaking as an Alienware user, I must concur with the amusement factor.

OT: Well, Valve, I'm glad you've got a machine fit for Bill Gates, but could we not make the same error as Sony did with the PS3?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
elvor0 said:
It's not a console though and that's not what it's supposed to be. You can upgrade it yourself. The high end models are for enthusiasts, and the lower models are to draw people into PC gaming, not be an alternative console.
If you know any PC dummies then you'll know that they don't get what they need, they get the *best* they can for their money. They would get a hex-core CPU regardless of the other features just because "it's better". They would shell-out for HDD which is SATA 3 compatible because "it's better".

This whole introducing people into PC gaming is over before it even started as people aren't going buy one if they get confused first because there are so many versions with different specs/prices. With these kind of people, if you fail at marketing then the whole project is over.

People aren't going to buy one if they're not even interested in the first place, people are more interested with the console, with their exclusives and with their social community. The whole point of the Steam machine was to a have a slice of that pie.

which provides you with a more future proof machine
The term "future-proofing" is often a euphemism for buying the best within that technological generation. As I said above, people often look at the statistics and forget the features.
008Zulu said:
I think I'll just run an HDMI cable, save myself a few hundred bucks.

More titles are being released for the Steam OS, but not enough to justify even a $500 console.
Then I hope you relish in the fact that the Steam OS is going to be free of charge.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
mad825 said:
This whole introducing people into PC gaming is over before it even started as people aren't going buy one if they get confused first because there are so many versions with different specs/prices. With these kind of people, if you fail at marketing then the whole project is over.
This is my feeling on all of these Steam boxes, since they were first unveiled last year. There has always been already built gaming PCs out there to buy, and for not as much as a non-tech savvy person would think, if they look at the right websites. These Steam Machines just slapped a familiar name on them and will have an OS we can download for free already installed.

I was hoping the (as in a single one) Steam Machine would be a nice bridge for PC gaming, that would only be updated maybe once a year and still allow consumer level upgrades. Instead we got so many configurations right out of the gate. Sure, there is a nice store page that lists of them, but that doesn't help too much when there are over 25 different configurations (25, counting only the base systems and preset configs) for the 15 machines listed on the linked Steam page. That is very confusing for someone who has no idea how to look up what he or she needs. It's a mess that shouldn't have happened.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
$459 for that? lol.

No thanks. I don't like steam, but with more games using its DRM I have no choice. I don't need a SteamBox because I don't play PC games in my living room.

Ridash

Jan 29, 2015
It would be so much cheaper to build your own PC. This is seriously overpriced.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
No one is going to buy a console at $459 in this day in age. I mean, look at the XBone! That was $499 and until the price drop it was selling as bad as the WiiU (And worse when Mario Kart 8 came out). So the fact that none of these Consoles are cheaper then $400's will mean that the Steam Machine is going to be a failure.
People will and have been buying consoles at over $459 in this day and age.
The Xbone was never and will never sell as bad as the WiiU.
The price will not be the end-all determining factor for deciding if the steam machine concept will fail or not. Personally i don't care, what i do care about is SteamOS especially with microsoft start talking 'free' OS and XBL for Windows. I've also never held the controller yet, who knows it might be excellent and be the new go-to controller for PC gaming, finally taking over from the 360s.

$450 gets you the console, controller and a good 30-40 of the games on this list:
http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Free%20to%20Play/?tab=MostPlayed
If you want to start spending money, for the $60 a retail PS4/XB1 game goes for you can have Kerbal Space Program, CS:GO, Civ5, Torchlight 2, The Witcher 2 and FTL.
These will last you a full order of magnitude longer than The Order. Each.
How much is 3 years of Xbox Live, again?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Fappy said:
Who in their right mind would drop 5k on this this? If you're going to drop that kind of dough you might as well build a machine yourself.
I don't get that either, if someone was spending that much money on a PC they would either build it themselves or get a complete one off customised machine from somewhere like Puget systems.

Why anyone would spend that much is beyond me.