Steam = OnLive

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
tmujir955 said:
You can't play Valve games when Steam is down. Yo can't play OnLive games if OnLive is down.
I fixed it for you. Me I choose to play offline, as it doesn't effect the games I play.

And as long as the online component isn't handled through Steam, you can still play a Steam registered game online when Steam is offline. Titan Quest is one, haven't really looked for any others.

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
When it comes to steam and their offline thing, the only game I have found that you cannot play offline is Modern Warfare 2, as it NEEDS to sync with the steam cloud. You never really notice how often Steam's servers go down until you can't play while they are down :mad:

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
Ya onlive is the best. The only problem is my internet at home isn't good enough so I need to go to my friends house.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Rakkana said:
He just bad mouthed steam. I shall call the armies. He will be dead by sun rise.
That's hardly constructive is it?

The bear cavalry are far superior.
Ohh. We have armies capable of better things.

To avoid being nonconstructive I will say that I love steam. Even with it's flaws it's so easy and efficient I can't hate it.

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
I love Steam. It makes keeping my gaming rig seem feasible. Games are always cheap, I think they're slogan should be: "Steam. Almost as good as mainlining heroin!"

May 23, 2010
Rakkana said:
Rakkana said:
He just bad mouthed steam. I shall call the armies. He will be dead by sun rise.

To avoid being nonconstructive I will say that I love steam. Even with it's flaws it's so easy and efficient I can't hate it.
I yield - and the thing I love most about steam (besides not have to worry about losing games or CD codes) is the community system, allowing me and all of my friends that have steam games to play together with the press of a button.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Rakkana said:

Aren't they on strike? Something about Onlive being down...

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I've had no problems running a Steam game without internet connection. You can always go the p1r4t3 way, when the game even forces you to do so. And nobody can say anything. I fracking paid for the game. And sue me for the rest.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Rakkana said:
Rakkana said:

Pft. Mechs are better

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
dududf said:
Only a COUPLE of games like thism and OP is extremely overexagerating.
Keep in mind that if Steam ever crashes, or potentially if your computer crashed while Steam is running (and this has happened to me), you will need to reconnect again before you can go back to playing anything, even in offline mode. And sooner or later, it or your computer will crash, or you'll get a new computer, something where you won't be able to play until you connect again.

So, while I don't see Steam vanishing anytime soon, it does carry the same concern as OnLive, where if Steam is gone, so are your games. That's all fairly standard fare for any digital service though, things can't possibly go well once the service itself goes away. My main issue with Steam though, is the fact that you still need to use it for games you bought at retail, I'd rather pirate than pay for a boxed copy of a game that I still don't really "own".

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
OP is confused. OP seems to think that buying a game at a retail store means you own it.

OP is wrong.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Get_A_Grip_ said:
But you have to go online before you can go offline.
As long as you had logged in onto your account online at some point in the past, you do not need an internet connection to play whatever steam games you have installed offline (at least, with every one I've tried, and I've used most of my steam account which has around $2,000 worth of games on it). From what I've heard, there are some games that don't work in offline mode, but they're by far the minority.

May 23, 2010
Jadak said:
dududf said:
Only a COUPLE of games like thism and OP is extremely overexagerating.
Keep in mind that if Steam ever crashes, or potentially if your computer crashed while Steam is running (and this has happened to me), you will need to reconnect again before you can go back to playing anything, even in offline mode. And sooner or later, it or your computer will crash, or you'll get a new computer, something where you won't be able to play until you connect again.

So, while I don't see Steam vanishing anytime soon, it does carry the same concern as OnLive, where if Steam is gone, so are your games. That's all fairly standard fare for any digital service though, things can't possibly go well once the service itself goes away. My main issue with Steam though, is the fact that you still need to use it for games you bought at retail, I'd rather pirate than pay for a boxed copy of a game that I still don't really "own".
Holy. Christ.

Talk about over-exxagerating things. Even if your computer explodes, or the FBI take it (I won't judge), or if it turns into a badger, YOU STILL HAVE YOUR GAMES.

This IS NOT the same with OnLive. If you don't keep paying the monthly fee (which steam doesn't have btw) then you lose your games and presumably your pet rabbit, Chloe.

Don't worry about steam as a service going down.
A) That won't be happening anytime soon.
B) VALVe's cool - if steam was shutting down, they'd give everyone the games offline-like (and I believe they've released a statement to this effect though I'm not certain.)

Not to mention that due to the above, IF steam went down, the effect on steam games would be identical to ALL multiplayer 360 games once the 360 becomes obsolete (which'll be sooner than steam) as shown ever so dramatically with the Halo 2 thing.

Pirating should NEVER be the answer, especially over something as silly as not 'owning' a game - which isn't really true and puely semantic at this point.

I don't know why people do this alarmist anti-steam stuff.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
The problem I have with OnLive is they want to put too much of their support in, and bypass most of the other companies(Game developers mostly) policies. There is almost no pick up and play with the companies policies, assuming the deleting accounts after 12 months policy isn't removed. As well as them only claiming to support games for 3 years, as afterwards they are gone regardless, since you are required to stream the games currently. You never have a copy on your computer.

At least with Steam you get the copies. Of course its still licenses, but these licenses are good for the lifetime of Steam and of the game, not an arbitrary date set by a subscription service that is trying to compete with Steam's free service. Thats where my issue is. OnLive is trying to be like a streaming version of Steam, but is more comparable to the original plagued Steam, not its current version.

Jun 11, 2008
tmujir955 said:
Recently I've been seeing lots of people complain about how OnLive is terrible because you are "renting the games at full price", and you are not really owning the game.

But doesn't Steam work the same way?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/7827-Stolen-Pixels-211-This-is-Not-Funny

You can't play Steam games when Steam is down. Yo can't play OnLive games if OnLive is down.

So whats the big problem?

Note: I'm not trying to advertise, but my experience with OnLive has been really awesome, and it's a shame to see so many people decide it is not worth it before even trying it.
Steam has an offline line mod which engages if you cannot onnect to going online or if you so choose to go to the offline mode.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
manaman said:
Steam is awsome - how dare you give it negative connotations. Also ya, as said above you can play stam games forever... and it's beautiful.
Steam is not awesome. Steam is the enemy almost as much as Onlive is.
How? People claim to be having all these problems, and I never have. My inclination is that people are incompetent. I like your avatar btw.
I haven't had a problem using steam either, well not a real problem. Steam is the enemy for other reasons. Reasons like integrated DRM, restrictive licensing, the fact that the steam program always has to be running on your computer or you cannot play the games you paid for. That the removal of this program running in the background removes all your games as well.

mets6886

Jun 7, 2010
too bad steam doesnt cost anything and has more support for gamers. also steam will always have your games as long as they are around, onlive is just a fad