Steam Promotion Saves Introversion From Death

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Phew, sounds like that was a close one! I'd hate to see Introversion go! Uplink and DEFCON were absolutely brilliant. Looking forward to their new game!

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
I really hope that if they have the funds to start re-employing the people they had to let go if they still wanted the job. But well done guys well done

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I really loved both Multiwinia and Darwinia,I'm glad to see Introversion is doing well.

Delusibeta said:
Eumersian said:
Too bad they're not out for mac.
Well, some of their games were ported by another company. Which I presume is why the Mac versions aren't on Steam yet.
Correct.Ambrosia Software has made a mac port of every Introversion Game.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
GREAT NEWS!

I already owned the Mac version. But when Steam had a Introversion sale I bought the Win versions, too.

Glad I did!

Introversion are about the most god damn most coolest game developer out there.
And Steam just showed -again- that they with the good guys.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Sgt. Sykes said:
So is it really necessary for the big titles to cost 50 ?, even when they're 25 ? in the stores?

Moral of the story: Only buy 5 ? games from Steam.
There's a reason why that works that way.

Brick and mortar locations, especially chains, buy in bulk. The more copies they buy, the lower the price for them. They can use that discount to pad their margin, or later on they can discount the title without taking a loss. Ultimately they might even decide to discount the title even more deeply in order to treat it as a loss leader-- a cut-rate item to attract people into the store, where hopefully they'll buy something else as well that they can make margin on.

Digital storefronts don't work the same way. There's no volume discount from day one because there's no inventory. If there's a volume discount owed, you don't know until you reach the sales target-- again, because there's no inventory.

Most digital storefronts do less volume than brick and mortar counterparts. That affects the price they get, and affects the discount they can offer, which is why only the biggest (like Steam and Amazon) offer significant discounts.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
BloodRed Pixel said:
Eumersian said:
www.ambrosiasw.com

Uplink, Defcon, Darwinia, Multiwinia
All Mac versions here! :D
Yes, I know, I've been playin' Ambrosia since EV Override. I would just prefer the convenience of Steam is all.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
MaxPowers666 said:
manythings said:
PolloDiablo said:
It's less like "Steam saved Introversion" and more like "Firing 95% of their employees saved Introversion."
Umm... no? It's like laying off their staff because they couldn't pay them anyway and were close to filing bankrputcy.
So they made a bad game that didnt sell very well. So they decided to fire off most of their staff and sell it dirt cheap on steam. Its more Introversion saving themselves then steam really. Its not like steam decided to go out and save them introversion asked for something to be put on sale and steam agreed. Its kind of like saying eb games saved a company because they agreed to stock your game.
Well yes. Are you sure you understand the idea of economics? If people refuse to sell your product then you lose but if you can convince them to sell it you are saved. There isn't some kind of magical stasis for businesses to exist in where they keep ticking over until they make their money back, EVERY industry is one bad day from collapse but those people in a position to know do everything in their power to make sure the reg'lar folk forget this fact.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Liquidcathedral said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
You forget that this is the same industry where a company like Activision would have sued Introvision into oblivion, ran them out of business, then tossed the IP rights into a big vault never to be seen again. Valve may have gotten some equal gain out of the deal, but the point is that they found a way to profit that also helped the little guy rather than running them out of business.
sued them for wat?
Rather than explain it myself, I'll just link to a recent article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/7951-Experienced-Points-The-Litigation-Hammer] that was written since it explains things far better than I could summarize.

Edit: Also, I'm aware that Valve didn't give Introversion any money for development costs and thus wouldn't have been able to sue them, I'm just saying that Valve is one of the few companies in the industry right now who would be interested in offering a sale to help-out another company. After-all, not everyone offers sales [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-122-pach-attack/701335] for digital distribution, so if Introversion's fate were reliant on the XBLA version going on sale, they'd have been toast.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Steam saved my introversion. It's easy to continue to avoid human contact when new stimuli are just a 75% off weekend sale away.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Liquidcathedral said:
article summary;
a very cynical article made by some old guy

activision can sue everyone for nothing? that sounds too bad to be true. lets hope activision doesn't sue the escapists or my bros maybe gone.
You clearly failed reading comprehension, and I don't really feel like explaining it right now.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Eumersian said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
Eumersian said:
www.ambrosiasw.com

Uplink, Defcon, Darwinia, Multiwinia
All Mac versions here! :D
Yes, I know, I've been playin' Ambrosia since EV Override. I would just prefer the convenience of Steam is all.
I see. Maybe Ambrosia could move a lot more units if they used Steam just as a Shop.
Like Nifles did with Saira.
You get a SN and it´s not dependent from Steam, that is: no DRM.
The SN works with the Gamers Gate and Original version, too.
Everybody Wins. :)