Steam Promotion Saves Introversion From Death

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
So is it really necessary for the big titles to cost 50 ?, even when they're 25 ? in the stores?

Moral of the story: Only buy 5 ? games from Steam.
Actually from my experiences, Steam's prices are very competitive. I got the Introversion pack from the Steam Summer Sale, I think it was 5 bucks, so I think I helped save them! I like their games but have been playing DoW too much to really pick them up... Good to hear that they're still in business, and good job Valve!
Edit: Nice name Sykes...

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Seems quite a few companies are realising, once the initial flurry of sales have passed, and it's 6 months later and you're maybe selling a dozen copies a month if you're lucky, throwing a small update out with either achievements or some extra content, and then cutting the price by 75% WILL bring in shedloads of cash you just flatly were never going to see.

IT's pretty much a given that Steam users will ignore £30-40 games unless it's an absolute crazed need, but they'll throw a few pounds at a game on a whim if it sounds remotely interesting, and as this and the World of Goo promo showed, a tiny profit multiplied enough times equals fat piles of cash you'd never see demanding £20 a copy.

Steam do need to sort out their full price games, as Amazon etc tend to undercut them by a good 20-30% every time, but when it comes to sales, Steam are epic and I've already got over 100 games on my account.

Apart from GTA IV I don't think I've paid more than £10 for any of them either, with most being under a fiver.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That is brilliant! And I do admit I cannot wait for the new game to come out, it looks fantastic!

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Liquidcathedral said:
Frequen-Z said:
I love this story, it's an absolute treat to hear about the small guys catching a break with a little help from the big guys.

I tried the DEFCON demo recently, and couldn't get along with it, but good on Introversion anyway :D
bro, i doubt it was as noble as it seems. moar money for big vidya game company, bro, they're a business not a charity, bro.
They still lent a hand bro, and thats important bro. Valve may not have done this out of charity, for that I'm sure bro, but they wouldn't let a company die like that. Bro, to me it seems like Introversion wanted help, and it was through Valve's digital distribution service and their deal that saved Introversion. Without valve, we would have heard a more grim tale of Introversion's ultimate demise, bro.
P.S. I think you may want to tone down your use of the word bro.

Apr 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Steam: Selling you stuff without you realising it. Oooh...shiny.
Its just $5... its just $5...

You'll be saying that as those $5 add up, and you don't even know...

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Never underestimate the power of a sale.

*glances at Humble Indie Bundle*
edit:
never underestimate the power of a -steam- sale
freakin THQ complete pack
and Orange Box
and the after christmas sale

daz_O_O

Click me I'm here!
Aug 27, 2008
Yay! I bought that pack during the sale, glad to help a good dev. Uplink and Darwinia = worth 3 times the sale price alone.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
finally! after about a gazzillion years searching! i played the demo for uplink many a years ago and has ever since been searching for it! (completely forgetting the name didnt help!) if you'll excuse me, i need to dash off to steam to buy it as fast as my fingers will let me :D

go fingers go!

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
The Introversion Pack was a super quick buy for me in the Steam sale, and i don't regret it one bit :D

Yay for supportin :3

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Eumersian said:
Too bad they're not out for mac.
Well, some of their games were ported by another company. Which I presume is why the Mac versions aren't on Steam yet.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
Seems quite a few companies are realising, once the initial flurry of sales have passed, and it's 6 months later and you're maybe selling a dozen copies a month if you're lucky, throwing a small update out with either achievements or some extra content, and then cutting the price by 75% WILL bring in shedloads of cash you just flatly were never going to see.
It really does seem to work rather well. Even Valve themselves tried it with L4D for a weekend a few months after it came out, and they sold more copies then than they did at launch. For smaller games/companies, it's a great way to get a ton of exposure. It definitely works on me, because I know I've picked up stuff I had been sort of interested in but wouldn't've bothered with otherwise because it just happened to be cheap enough, and seeing the sale notice reminded me of it.

Eumersian said:
Too bad they're not out for mac.
They may not be on Steam, but I'm pretty sure most of their games, if not all of them, have had Mac versions for years. I think Ambrosia handled some of them.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
YES!!!!!!11!!!11!ELEVENSIES1

I freaking LOVE Introversion, and I'm ridiculously happy that they didn't go out of business.