Steam Summer Sale Begins, Homeworld, XCOM and More Discounted

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Steam Summer Sale Begins, Homeworld, XCOM and More Discounted

Gamer-sense tingling? Don't fear, the 2015 Steam Summer Sale is here!

Crack open your wallets gamers because it's June 11th and, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140959-Valve-Softwares-Steam-Summer-Sale-Begins-On-June-11>as we reported back in May, the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/steam>Steam Summer Sale has arrived!

The sale began just a little while ago and opened with a cluster of deals discounting a number of games and franchises anywhere from 25 to 80 percent. Included among the sale's opening deals are titles such as the Metro games, the Homeworld: Remastered Collection and XCOM. In addition to the standard deals, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/valve%20software?os=valve+software>Valve has also debuted a new "Monster Summer Game" that customers can apparently play together to unlock more special discounts. We tried to play said game to provide some impressions but, unfortunately, weren't able to get in. In addition to all of this, the sale includes the usual mix of shifting flash deals which will refresh "every 12 hours."

Just personally, I've already spotted a few games that I'll probably be picking up. The PC version of Valkyria Chronicles, for instance, is only five dollars right now, which is an insane deal if you're a fan or turn-based RPGs or Japanese RPGs in general. Darkest Dungeon is currently also 25 percent off and, from what I've heard, would be more than worth tossing a few more dollars into Valve's overflowing cash pot. Take a peek at the current offerings and let us know which games you want to get and which you hope to see discounted in the days between now and the sale's end on June 20th.

Source: Steam

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Warning though, Rockstar inflated the price of GTA 5 before the discount. Although you will receive an Tiger Shark Cash Card with it, its basically only a little extra multiplayer cash, which isn't exactly hard to obtain. So yeah. Scumbags.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Wuvlycuddles said:
Warning though, Rockstar inflated the price of GTA 5 before the discount. Although you will receive an Tiger Shark Cash Card with it, its basically only a little extra multiplayer cash, which isn't exactly hard to obtain. So yeah. Scumbags.
I just checked the storefront and the base game is still available seperately and is not on sale at all.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Giving a bump for what Wuvlycuddles said, someone came and told us during a stream and we couldn't believe it, turns out yes they inflated the price so the sale wouldn't do anything. They also don't have the base GTA 5 on sale, so it is still 60 bucks.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
BUYER BEWARE, GTA V and several other games are having their base prices hiked just as the sale begins (Rockstars tries to justify this by bundling in-game currency with every purchase of GTA V).
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.876802-GTA-V-and-Other-Games-Have-Their-Prices-Raised-as-Steam-Sales-Begin

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks for the heads up, guys. I was all ready to throw my money at GTA V, but then i noticed that the 25% off price was still a bit high... Also, none of the other bundles (Max Payne or older GTA titles for 75% off) interested me as I already have them.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
ShakerSilver said:
BUYER BEWARE, GTA V and several other games are having their base prices hiked just as the sale begins (Rockstars tries to justify this by bundling in-game currency with every purchase of GTA V).
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.876802-GTA-V-and-Other-Games-Have-Their-Prices-Raised-as-Steam-Sales-Begin
Hmm... I might go tweak the headline...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
*Looks up* Well that's a fucking dick move. Praying to god we don't get the apologists who drone "Well it's a business, a business' job is to make money"

ShakerSilver

Nov 13, 2009
It seems like Rockstar caught wind of a little bit of outrage and have listed the game separately from the "Shark Cash Cards" for it's normal price (hoo-rah). The price of the bundle is still grossly inflated.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
erttheking said:
*Looks up* Well that's a fucking dick move. Praying to god we don't get the apologists who drone "Well it's a business, a business' job is to make money"
On the steam forum there's already a 4 page thread started by someone using just that logic, under the very incorrect assumption that the in game money cards are worth anything to anyone.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zontar said:
erttheking said:
On the steam forum there's already a 4 page thread started by someone using just that logic, under the very incorrect assumption that the in game money cards are worth anything to anyone.
I would say that I'm surprised, but that would be a lie.

I'll just say I'm massively fucking disappointed.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Also worth pointing out that buying the GTA "bundle" invalidates any chance of you getting a newly introduced Steam Refund if the game doesn't work or w/e, since the "card" that comes with the game is non-refundable.

ShakerSilver

Nov 13, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Aaaand it comes with a...cookie clicker-esque game? Really, Valve?
Oh yeah, to unlock the discounts you need to get points in a clicker game to win cards or discounts or some shit. To think the latest original game from Valve is the "Discount Game".

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Crap, Tales from Borderlands is in the sales. I mean sure it a saving but it is incomplete? I must muster up a will to resist buying it until it is fully complete!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
ShakerSilver said:
Unless it's the GOTY edition. Otherwise, yeah! Foul play, Rockstar!

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
The monster game doesn't work. Just like most of the new fiddlywinks steam does for each sale, on day 1.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
erttheking said:
Ugh! Yes. That's one of the most obnoxious cop outs out there.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Crap, Tales from Borderlands is in the sales. I mean sure it a saving but it is incomplete? I must muster up a will to resist buying it until it is fully complete!
Why not just buy it and then not play it till its finished. Chances are 50% off is about the best you're goin to get with a Telltale game. Heck, Season 1 of Walking Dead still rarely gets below 50% off and thats decently old at this point.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
That Monster Game makes me realize two things:

1: I have to have those songs for my personal music collection.

2: Valve needs to make an old-school, 8-bit/16-bit style game.

Anyway, I have a few things I'm hoping to nab during the Sale. Going to wait to see if Grey Goo comes down to a price I'm more comfortable with.