Steam Summer Sale: What did you buy?

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Everyday, without fail, I have taken the time to look at all the delicious sales, like a street urchin staring pressing his face against the baker's storefront display. Unfortunately, two weeks ago, the decision came down to, literally, me skipping out on meals to pay bills. Things are much better now, but I just can't justify any purchases.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Civ V, Sim City 4, and Van Helsing.

Waiting for a few more games to pop-up, otherwise I'll just purchase during the recap.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Pinkscare said:
You mean you hadn't played Bastion until now? :O Get out of here you filthy casual!

Nah, I only played Bastion myself this year. Great game, and I suggest anybody who hasn't bought it yet and is serious about games should do so. That game by itself proves the whole games/art thing. Seriously.

So far I've bought:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (can't fault it at £2.24)
FTL: Faster Than Light (I know it was cheap, can't remember the price)
Mark of the Ninja (been meaning to play this for a while, and I think it was like £2.99 or something?)
Torchlight 2 (love loot games, finally bought this one even though I'm still massively in love with Borderlands 2)

Still undecided on Dark Souls. I didn't buy it at the last opportunity, but if it goes cheap again I'll be tempted.

Captcha: hunky dory. Yes, I agree. Did I mention I've just come back from work, and I've been unemployed for like a very long time? So yeah, things are feeling ok right now.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Ohhh boy... I can't even remember how much I spent... That's probably not a good sign.

Anywho~

System Shock 2
Cave Story +
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Counter-Strike Source
The Ship
Torchlight II
Portal 2
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3/Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
Sonic CD
Sonic Generations
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1 + 2

All of those Sonic games for $15. What a bargain.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
You all talk like this is over!!

I havn't stopped buying yet!! I must have more...mooore...MOORRE I TELL YOU, MOOOOOOOOOOORRREEE!!!!!!!!

*devolves into mindless cackles and random inteligable words*

Sep 14, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
OP might want to put a little more so you don't get a warning...

Anyway, I've bought far too much.

'The Missing Link' for Deus Ex: Human Revolution

And I'm hoping Alpha Protocol goes 75% off so I can pick it up as well.
that dlc is a major pain in the ass if you go for that "no upgrades" achievement, so many quick reloads to avoid people seeing me/getting everything. but still, it is definitely on par with the rest of the game in terms of entertainment.

also, I have seen AP once or twice on the daily deal (regularly, not on steam sales yet) and it is 7.50 right now at 50% off.

(I am a huge obsidian/AP fan though, so take what I say with a grain of salt) it is an amazingly fun rpg to see nearly EVERY choice you make affect the story in some way, especially down the line, hell I still haven't come up with every ending yet, and i've beaten the game 6 times (if i remember right).

If you don't mind mass effect (more 1 as it's a bit..."loose" rather than 2 or 3's tightness) combat then you will probably have a ball with AP, just remember that it is an rpg first and a shooter second.

OT:

Surprisingly been buying alot...didn't expect to buy much at first -_-

Borderlands 2 Season Pass + other DLC, too good of a deal to pass up on it
Mars War logs (I am actually enjoying this alot, it is very rough and is on par with a budgeted AAA game from 07-08, but that doesn't matter to me)
Reus
Awesomenauts
The Last remnant (always was interested in this game, but never picked it up, can anyone confirm how it plays?)
Dishonored + one DLC for it

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
shrekfan246 said:
OP might want to put a little more so you don't get a warning...

Anyway, I've bought far too much.

'The Missing Link' for Deus Ex: Human Revolution

And I'm hoping Alpha Protocol goes 75% off so I can pick it up as well.
that dlc is a major pain in the ass if you go for that "no upgrades" achievement, so many quick reloads to avoid people seeing me/getting everything. but still, it is definitely on par with the rest of the game in terms of entertainment.
I probably won't go for any achievements like that until I've already run through it once or twice. I still haven't finished the base game on the hardest difficulty yet. XD

also, I have seen AP once or twice on the daily deal (regularly, not on steam sales yet) and it is 7.50 right now at 50% off.
Yeah, I want it to go 75% off so I'd be able to afford another ~$3.50 game if I felt so inclined, because I hardly have enough for it at the discounted price it stands at now.

(I am a huge obsidian/AP fan though, so take what I say with a grain of salt) it is an amazingly fun rpg to see nearly EVERY choice you make affect the story in some way, especially down the line, hell I still haven't come up with every ending yet, and i've beaten the game 6 times (if i remember right).

If you don't mind mass effect (more 1 as it's a bit..."loose" rather than 2 or 3's tightness) combat then you will probably have a ball with AP, just remember that it is an rpg first and a shooter second.
That's part of why I'm so interested in it in the first place. And I don't mind Mass Effect's combat all that much, the more times I've played through it; The biggest annoyance to me is the overheating mechanic. I actually prefer the way it handles cover compared to the sequels, even if the actual controls in cover are clunkier.

Pinkscare

Wearin' Steam Badges
Jul 19, 2013
WoW Killer said:
Pinkscare said:
You mean you hadn't played Bastion until now? :O Get out of here you filthy casual!

Nah, I only played Bastion myself this year. Great game, and I suggest anybody who hasn't bought it yet and is serious about games should do so. That game by itself proves the whole games/art thing. Seriously.

So far I've bought:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (can't fault it at £2.24)
FTL: Faster Than Light (I know it was cheap, can't remember the price)
Mark of the Ninja (been meaning to play this for a while, and I think it was like £2.99 or something?)
Torchlight 2 (love loot games, finally bought this one even though I'm still massively in love with Borderlands 2)

Still undecided on Dark Souls. I didn't buy it at the last opportunity, but if it goes cheap again I'll be tempted.

Captcha: hunky dory. Yes, I agree. Did I mention I've just come back from work, and I've been unemployed for like a very long time? So yeah, things are feeling ok right now.
I had Bastion on console a while back.

I, too, purchased FTL today.

Demon"s Souls was enough for me to pass Dark Souls. :-/

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Half Life 2 + ep 1 and 2 (came to around $6.50ish all together. 75% off)
Thief 1-3 ($6.50. 66% off)
Thomas Was Alone ($2.50. 75% off)
The Longest Journey ($5. 50% off)
Dust: An Elysian Tale ($7.50. 50% off)
Mark of the Ninja ($3.74. 75% off)

So totaled $31.74. Considering I got 8 games out of that (not counting HL2 ep 1 and 2) it's not a bad haul.

Dust and Mark of the Ninja won't play on this computer (it was pretty crappy when I bought it in 2008) and all the others are either old or otherwise not intensive enough to cause my computer to convulse on the floor, soil itself, and die. There's a better one in the house I'll sneak on to play those ones. Reason why I didn't get Mirror's Edge, since I wanted to limit the amount of gaming I would need on that machine since I don't have it. Might as well use my PS3.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Pinkscare said:
I, too, purchased FTL today.
Bet ya I won't play it for ages! I bought Terraria a while back because it was cheap as anything (I think under £2?) and I've still never played it. But it's there if I get bored some day.

Pinkscare said:
Demon"s Souls was enough for me to pass Dark Souls. :-/
I'm not so much worried about the quality of the game because it's one that so many people talk about and from the descriptions it's the sort of game I think I'd like. But the thing that puts me off is I've heard some varied opinions on the PC port.

Sep 14, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
I probably won't go for any achievements like that until I've already run through it once or twice. I still haven't finished the base game on the hardest difficulty yet. XD
ah I see, well if you complete it with upgrades and everything then you'll know where all the baddies are and the tricks/tunnels, so you shouldn't have as much of a problem as i did (I saw the achievements and had a "challenge accepted" moment to knock em all out in one try)

That's part of why I'm so interested in it in the first place. And I don't mind Mass Effect's combat all that much, the more times I've played through it; The biggest annoyance to me is the overheating mechanic. I actually prefer the way it handles cover compared to the sequels, even if the actual controls in cover are clunkier.
I completely agree, I understand that it is "clunkier", but I still prefer it slightly over the games after it(at least in a single player setting)

which judging by how you responded to that, I do think you will like it a lot, as alot of people really grate on the gameplay (pistols are super OP and a couple of the other weapons are kinda underpowered/no point in using them, and they don't like third person gameplay or don't like the "rpg first shooter second" mechanics)

Sep 14, 2009
WoW Killer said:
But the thing that puts me off is I've heard some varied opinions on the PC port.
if you use a controller, it is fine/great/bees knees. if you use a keyboard and mouse, good luck, it is clunky as all hell at first and the game was CLEARLY not meant to be used by such a way.

(a.k.a., get a bloody controller you wanker)

but in all seriousness, it is a fun game

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
WoW Killer said:
I'm not so much worried about the quality of the game because it's one that so many people talk about and from the descriptions it's the sort of game I think I'd like. But the thing that puts me off is I've heard some varied opinions on the PC port.
The port isn't that bad if:
- You have a controller. Seriously, it's just awful trying to use the keyboard + mouse even after you've modded it.

- You use the DSFix mod. It adds in all of the basic functionality that a normal port would have, like variable resolutions and graphics settings, unlocked framerate, etc.

A few bugs are added by the unlocked framerate and all, but nothing that's ever broken the game in the sixty+ hours I've played of it.

gmaverick019 said:
which judging by how you responded to that, I do think you will like it a lot, as alot of people really grate on the gameplay (pistols are super OP and a couple of the other weapons are kinda underpowered/no point in using them, and they don't like third person gameplay or don't like the "rpg first shooter second" mechanics)
You should see how I play Metal Gear Solid. Pistols all the way down.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
if you use a controller, it is fine/great/bees knees. if you use a keyboard and mouse, good luck, it is clunky as all hell at first and the game was CLEARLY not meant to be used by such a way.

(a.k.a., get a bloody controller you wanker)

but in all seriousness, it is a fun game
If that's the only real issue then I'll definitely look out for the next sale. I got one of those PS -> USB adapters for playing emulators, so the controller should be fine. What got me interested is that one of the streamers I like to watch was playing Cube World recently (which happens to be another of my recent purchases, but not through Steam), and he described it as "a bit like Dark Souls combat". Now I happen to think Cube World has some of the best combat I've ever played, even in it's early alpha state, so that was an immediate grab.

(btw, not seen anybody talk much about Cube World yet on this website; clue, it's fucking brilliant)

Edit:

shrekfan246 said:
- You use the DSFix mod. It adds in all of the basic functionality that a normal port would have, like variable resolutions and graphics settings, unlocked framerate, etc.
Cool I'll look out for that. Last game I played with a disfunctional port would be the original Borderlands, and I had a lot of gripes with that (though in all fairness I played the Xbox version first and I still preferred the PC version; that's just the superior controls of keyboard/mouse for an FPS I guess). There was weird shit like you could change the FoV with a hotkey, but it would reset whenever you entered a vehicle. So to get it so the FoV reset every time you left a vehicle you had to mod it so the reset button was your forwards key, but then that messed up the vision when driving vehicles. It was a ball-ache, seriously.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I got through mostly unscathed.

Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider Chronicles, and SimCity 4. Total: About $25.

Sep 14, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
gmaverick019 said:
You should see how I play Metal Gear Solid. Pistols all the way down.

once again, by your playstyle/responses....