Steam (those that have it)

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
I was trying to free up some space on my harddrive by moving my Steam folder over to my other harddrive. I was just curious on how much space it would take up.

Turns out I somehow managed to rake up 153GB for my steam folder...how? Must be all those garry mod addons and tf2 maps...and tfc maps...and cs maps...and l4d/2 maps I got installed.

I'm just curious, how much space does your Steam folder take up?
For Steam to take up bout half my harddrive space is freaking ridiculous, something don't seem right with it.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
I guess it depends on how many games you've bought. I think my Steam folder is sitting somewhere around the 100GB+ area. Can you just drag & drop the whole Steam folder to another HDD? Will it still run right if you do that?

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Wow, thats a lot of games/addons. Mind you, I'm not one to talk, my steam folder is currently 75 Gigs, and thats after a recent cleaning out of my unplayed games. So only about a quarter of my hardrive, but still plenty of games in there.

Adorann

Dec 9, 2009
244gb. I'd say it's mostly the games, but the gmod addons do take up a heap of space after a while.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Yah, I just deleted a bunch of games that I don't really play, and that shaved off 50gbs lol
I just find it crazy that I managed to get 150gb+ with this.

XinfiniteX said:
I guess it depends on how many games you've bought. I think my Steam folder is sitting somewhere around the 100GB+ area. Can you just drag & drop the whole Steam folder to another HDD? Will it still run right if you do that?
I did it with my laptop and it worked fine. And according to Windows "Time Remaining: 23 hours"
All you got to do is delete Steam off the harddrive it was originally on

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
Mine tops out at a whopping 6.84 gigs.
Adorann said:
244gb. I'd say it's mostly the games, but the gmod addons do take up a heap of space after a while.
But holy shit 244? God damn that is like twice the size of my current harddrive.

muckinscavitch

Jul 27, 2009
Mine is 13.5 gigs of TF2, but only because I uninstalled everything else (after doing another play through first). Pretty crazy, but at the same time not too bad.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
shaboinkin said:
Yah, I just deleted a bunch of games that I don't really play, and that shaved off 50gbs lol
I just find it crazy that I managed to get 150gb+ with this.

XinfiniteX said:
I did it with my laptop and it worked fine. And according to Windows "Time Remaining: 23 hours"
All you got to do is delete Steam off the harddrive it was originally on
Oh good, I'm running out of space on my main HDD and I wanted to move all my games over to a secondary HDD without having it screw up and need to re-download them all.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
mines probably only like 35 gigs right now since I had to reformat recently and havent put everything back on yet

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'll tell you once the bloody thing stops counting T_T

edit:
183 GB for me. man, that's nothing - I should install more stuff!

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
43.4 gigs... I guess that and the fact that I have the Adobe Master Suite explains where all my hard drive space went.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
117 for me, and I'll have to get a new HDD before i can get many more. About 200 taken up by non steam games.

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
152 GB, but I still have several GB worth of games I haven't downloaded on my new computer.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
My Steam Folder takes up... 80.9 gigs with ~130,000 files.

I have the following on Steam: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Half-Life and all its fancy sequels and add-ons, Hearts of Iron III, Napoleon: Total War (my most played game), Portal, and Civilization IV.

By comparison...

Fallout 3 was 14.8 gigs with 30,000 files.*
World of Warcraft was 18.2 gigs with 3,700 files.
Medieval II: Total War was 14.4 gigs with 9,000 files.

*I recently re-installed my Fallout 3. This folder used to be in the 35 gig range.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
33.1 gb. It should be noted that right now the only things I have installed are Dawn of War II and Empire Total War.