Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Mygaffer said:
Crono1973 said:
Mygaffer said:
Crono1973 said:
Mygaffer said:
Another terrible article from The Escapist's resident terrible writer, Andy Chalk.

The "response" to the Steam TOS change is muted because there has been no change. The TOS, like EVERY other service, is "subject to change". Do you use Google Play? Do you use the App Store? Amazon Prime? All these content delivery services have the same type of "we can change the TOS at anytime, for any reason, and you don't get a say except to stop using our service", for better or for worse this is SOP, standard operating procedure.

It is not just content delivery services, but even your bank has these types of conditions. The class action lawsuit issue is the court system's fault, or our legislator's fault, depending on how you view the decision reached by the Supreme Court in AT&T Mobility vs. Conception, in which by a 5-4 decision it was decided that existing federal law superseded state laws that prohibited clauses disallowing class action lawsuits.

So now everyone has rushed to put in clauses disallowing class action lawsuits into their TOS. The policy of closing your account if you don't accept their TOS is the way it has always been. This is not news. Instead of reporting on this, you should be reporting on the whole TOS clauses barring class action status, which is an interesting story that needs to be debated. Not the painfully obvious, "if you don't accept the TOS, you can't use Steam".

But Andy either does not any of the background, or he just wants to stir up the poop pot. I suspect a little of both is going for poor Mr. Chalk.

You seem to be saying "well, it's been that way for a long time so that automatically makes it ok".
Did I EVER say it was ok? Did I ever once imply I thought there was nothing wrong with it? If you actually read my post, which it seems you just skimmed it, I actually never said "its been that way for a long time", I said "Its been this way since a Supreme Court case in the last year".

I don't think it is ok but the only people who can change it now is our federal legislature. They won't of course, because too many of their campaign donors like these protections and average voters don't care enough to make it a voting issue.

But how about you actually read my post before you go making assumptions.
I read your wall of text.

I stand by my summary of it.
Then you need to take some reading comprehension classes bro. I think it is NOT OK.But you "stand by your summary", even though I have just confirmed you were wrong and an idiot.
There's really no need for name calling.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dexter111 said:
lacktheknack said:
I don't view it that way. It's all about the specifics from where I stand.

I didn't have an issue with the TOS change this time, so I accepted.

And if they make a change I dislike, I accept the terms but simply don't purchase anything else, thus avoiding more or less any problems I might have. I can't imagine what they'd do that would actively stop me from accessing my library.

If they DID do something like demand my bank information (SPOILER ALERT: They won't), then I'll take my business elsewhere. I've always been aware that abandoning my Steam account means losing my games, and I've always been OK with that. I'm sitting comfortably in the knowledge that there's nothing they will do that will make me click "I Disagree".
Well, good for you taking a piss all over your consumer rights and rights of ownership of what you buy. You are a hero of your generation, what answer exactly did you expect? Did you want a pat on the back? xD

Not everyone is going to give up their rights just like that, not even to Valve.

I knew what I was getting into when I signed up years ago... it hasn't changed...

They'd have to demand my personal information and bank information before I'd click "I do not agree".
They are doing exactly that, like every single time you buy something online and they require your name, adress and credit card/bank details...
That's expected. I'm under the impression that the info is encoded right away and never seen by people on the other end, a computer handles it all (while encoded).

If I'm wrong... well, that's irritating. x__x

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Hornet0404 said:
It is not about the class-action lawsuit (which isn't even applicable in the EU).

It's about the fact that Valve can change their TOS and hold your already bought games hostage.
Well, this is embarrassing. It's been like this forever. Clearly, people have been reading all the things they agree to for years now.

The question that I'M asking is "Why now? Why not, say, five years ago?" Because this has been a commonly mentioned issue for Steam's whole life.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
Hornet0404 said:
It is not about the class-action lawsuit (which isn't even applicable in the EU).

It's about the fact that Valve can change their TOS and hold your already bought games hostage.
Well, this is embarrassing. It's been like this forever. Clearly, people have been reading all the things they agree to for years now.

The question that I'M asking is "Why now? Why not, say, five years ago?" Because this has been a commonly mentioned issue for Steam's whole life.
That's just how things work, everything comes back around eventually and most are not immediate. Now is the time for people to question Valve.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Valve can do no wrong, if EA did this, people would be flipping out (if anyone actually owned hundreds, if not thousands in games on Origin. Valve, I love you, but your fanboys suck.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Slayer_2 said:
Valve can do no wrong, if EA did this, people would be flipping out (if anyone actually owned hundreds, if not thousands in games on Origin. Valve, I love you, but your fanboys suck.
Are we reading the same thread, most people are against Valve here.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Slayer_2 said:
Crono1973 said:
Are we reading the same thread, most people are against Valve here.
Most people here, maybe, small part of the internet.
Ok, do you have an example of another place where more people support Valve than not?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Generally speaking, I rate Valve over many of the other game companies that dot the landscape. In this particular instance, though, I can only regret that any legal decision handed down by courts of Germany or the E.U. are unlikely to have impact elsewhere.