Steam Users Can't Play Modern Warfare 2 Until Thursday

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
CarrionRoc said:
Do they want PC gamers to play this game?
No, they want their money but don't want any piracy. They want you to go out and buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 and a copy of the game where it's easier to sell you DLC.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Malygris said:
I don't want to be accused of paranoia here but I'm honestly starting to wonder if Activision and Infinity Ward aren't screwing up the PC launch of Modern Warfare 2 on purpose.
This, more than likely. I've become pretty convinced that IW/Activison simply want an excuse not to bother with PC versions in future MW games 'because of piracy and we can't milk enough money out of it' as they'd phrase it.

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
Its like PC gamer hell, they couldn't kill the Wii so now they have turned on the only other platform for gaming the PC. What happened to the time when a games launch meant it was out everywhere? Also what happened to testing a game to the breaking point before releasing it?

I'm over reacting but still, I think if it wasn't for CoD4 MW2 wouldn't be doing this well, its almost like a conglomerate of unpopular choices on the PC, and i think just like the economy its gonna get worse before it gets better (if it gets better)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
It's so obviously aimed at sabotaging it's PC release to give Actibliz an excuse to avoid pc developing in future without annoying the share holders...
... yes I do have a bunker full of canned food, why did you ask?
Hey, its only paranoia if its not true ;)

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I would care but I'm too busy playing games from companies that actually support PC users.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
This is "news"? I remember reading something a month ago about how the PC version was released a day or two later then the console version for some stupid reason... Doesn't surprise me at all with having to wait weeks after consoles for the map packs for World at War...
But the disc copy you can get in the store seems to be working right now. Two days before the Steam bough version works. And both versions use Steam...

This doesn't make sense really. I have to say, those in charge of this release and game have really proved their intelligence... I think I have to see what else they are going to release the next few years. Hope they don't have anything I want, 'cause I really don't want anything to do with them ever again. (Not that I am going to buy MW2 anyway)

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
beddo said:
CarrionRoc said:
Do they want PC gamers to play this game?
No, they want their money but don't want any piracy. They want you to go out and buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 and a copy of the game where it's easier to sell you DLC.
Personally if that's the case i think out of spite a lot more people are gonna pirate the game, every action has a reaction and if they are trying to force us into the console market then everyone is gonna get to the point where they are just gonna say screw it.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
I've kept out of the MW2 discussions so far, since I didn't feel like jumping into that shark-infested pool of hate. I was gonna give IW the benefit of the doubt (and I still am), since for me MP is an interesting extra, not necessarily an integral component of the game - if it was SP-only, I'd buy it anyway.

That said, I'm starting to get pretty pissed off myself.

I pre-purchased the game on Steam about two and a half weeks ago, for the full ?60, expecting to be able to download and play it on the 10th. This was before I knew about the controversy. Then I started seeing more and more "IW is screwing you over!" threads here on TE, with more and more talk about the PC version having gimped MP. But like I said, MP is an additional bonus for me, not a primary requirement, so I let it slide.

Then I hear about stores selling it for about half as much as I paid for it, before the release date.

And now this bullshit.

I'll still give IW the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the SP campaign, but really, I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theories about IW/Activision gimping the PC release on purpose.

The SP campaign had better be pretty damn good.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
PipBoy4000 said:
Just suck it up and get the 360 version then. PC gaming is dead anyway.
Oh noes! It's a troll!!!

Anyway, as far as the topic is concerned, they are just begging us to pirate this game. I am deeply considering it, just to gibe them the same middle finger that they are giving us. PC Gamers are not a crowd you should screw with, and we are still a valuable part of the market. I think Activision/Infinity Ward need to be reminded of this...

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Well if activision want to drop the pc as a platform i only have one thing to say to them...

Don't let door hit your ass on the way out!

The last game i actually bought for pc published by them was doom 3! So i won't lose any sleep about no more pc games from them.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
ben---neb said:
I would care but I'm too busy playing games from companies that actually support PC users.
Damn Right Good Sir. All my money has gone to buy L4D2 by Valve. A company that started on PC like, oh lets say... Infinity Ward. And Still Care about the PC unlike, Oh lets say... Infinity Ward.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Well, that's utterly pointless. It does rather seem Activision is bent on screwing over the PC gamers.

GamingAwesome1 said:
At last the tides have turned! Now we, the console owners get to brag!

I don't mean that in a serious way.

That's somewhat random, what with there being no rhyme or reason to this.
I'm going to try some crazy, crazy satire here.

"What's that? The console versions of The Orange Box haven't been updated for 4893 months? Well, I couldn't hear you over the noise of the hitsound while using an AC-130 in multiplayer! Zing!"

*cries*

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
The game has been pirated already.

Pirates played the 360 version one week before the buyers.

Pirates will play the PC version two days before the Steam buyers.

Congratulations, Activision and Infinity Ward, on yet ANOTHER fuckup.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
well this isnt news, anyone who bought the steam version already know about the 11/12 release date. Its not like its the first thing you see when u turn on steam for the pass month :p

What would be news is if the Retail PC version has to wait on the steam activation too. than that would have sparked the PC nerd revolution XD

Still gonna wait till there is a judgment on said p2p matchmaking on PC

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Jaqen Hghar said:
Assassin Xaero said:
This is "news"? I remember reading something a month ago about how the PC version was released a day or two later then the console version for some stupid reason... Doesn't surprise me at all with having to wait weeks after consoles for the map packs for World at War...
But the disc copy you can get in the store seems to be working right now. Two days before the Steam bough version works. And both versions use Steam...

This doesn't make sense really. I have to say, those in charge of this release and game have really proved their intelligence... I think I have to see what else they are going to release the next few years. Hope they don't have anything I want, 'cause I really don't want anything to do with them ever again. (Not that I am going to buy MW2 anyway)
Hmm... uhh... that really doesn't make sense... maybe they are using offline mode and just installing it? Ehh, either way I'm pissed at Activision and starting to get pissed at Steam, so not hurting me at all...

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
What strikes me as odd is that there's no form of apology for those who have to wait for their game two extra days after street date (three-four if you count people breaking street). It really makes me wonder if this is so GameStop can get all the selling they can during 0-hour up until the Steam unlocks.