Steam Users Can't Play Modern Warfare 2 Until Thursday

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Y'know...I'm actually glad the release was botched, one extra hope that it bombs and the no dedicated server crap stops here.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Typical steam fuck-up if you ask me. I think original Modern Warfare didn't come out on steam until like...a whole week later.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Strategia said:
Actually, the release date was pegged at the 10th as recently as last week.
Yeah ok thats not what i've been seeing for as long as i remember the game was being offered <.< Point being that this is No Surprise! be it a week or a month. Steam Gave you fair warning b4 the pre-load. Plus what is the point or pre-ordering on STEAM when they didnt offer any discount XD

ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Typical steam fuck-up if you ask me. I think original Modern Warfare didn't come out on steam until like...a whole week later.
you would be correct something along those lines. i was pissed since i always get Steam copies if i could rather than something that would waste space in my house. (upside i can play the game without internet XD)

MyDigitalHeaven

Aug 28, 2008
zombie711 said:
poor, poor pc users always getting screwed over because some people do not see you as a sutible platform, perhaps it the idea that the pc was not ment for gamming a much as it was for typing or web browsing, but still it's a little unfair what keeps going on. ( I own a wii so I kinda know what it feels to be screwed over)
Maybe. But they should see it as a suitable platform (actually the biggest platform that sells more games than all the current generation consoles combined). Not like it matters for them, because they all know that people are going to buy their game regardless of the price tag or even the lack of dedicated servers and customization for mods and maps.

This game is going to milk you till you spent over $100 dollars worth of DLC and DL maps.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Strategia said:
Actually, the release date was pegged at the 10th as recently as last week.
Yeah ok thats not what i've been seeing for as long as i remember the game was being offered <.< Point being that this is No Surprise! be it a week or a month. Steam Gave you fair warning b4 the pre-load. Plus what is the point or pre-ordering on STEAM when they didnt offer any discount XD
Not knowing that there would BE a discount on account of pre-ordering it more than two weeks in advance.

Nugma

Jul 26, 2009
Call me insane but I'm liking the pc version of MW2. And the fact that it uses Steam just makes it a whole lot better. But it's usually like this, that the people that buy it over Steam have to wait a few days. Don't see why this is news tbh.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Havent bought it, but it does suck a bit, why are Vavle letting Activision tell them what they can and cant do with their software?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Strategia said:
Not knowing that there would BE a discount on account of pre-ordering it more than two weeks in advance.
yes im saying y would u pre-order a DIGITAL COPY without some kind of incentive? i mean its not like they will 'run out of copies' if u buy it a day b4 or the day of

johnman said:
Havent bought it, but it does suck a bit, why are Vavle letting Activision tell them what they can and cant do with their software?
because they are letting STEAM take a piece of the distribution pie and its an ACTIVISION publishing property maybe? You forget that ACTIVISION doesnt have to let it come to STEAM to begin with and just sell all hard copies

::EDIT:: forgot about the DRM. XD my bad.

Nugma said:
Call me insane but I'm liking the pc version of MW2. And the fact that it uses Steam just makes it a whole lot better. But it's usually like this, that the people that buy it over Steam have to wait a few days. Don't see why this is news tbh.
indeed y is this news?

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Strategia said:
yes im saying y would u pre-order a DIGITAL COPY without some kind of incentive? i mean its not like they will 'run out of copies' if u buy it a day b4 or the day of
Because it's a habit for me? Because there are no game stores where I live? Because I *gasp* like Steam? Because it's my own decision?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
scotth266 said:
EDIT: Whoops, hilarious misinterpretation is hilarious. I lost track of the dates involved.

I'm going to wait for further info: odds are that to release the game late, there's a damn good reason involved.
Yeah, they just won't say til the last minute, same as they did for Left 4 Dead 2 Demo. I didn't mind the delay so much, but Valve keeping mum on the reason why and acting like we can't handle the truth is what really irked me. Frankly I think if they were open about it from the getgo, it would have cut the flaming down by 50% and not caused any slowdowns on the servers.
Frankly I'm kinda happy I have no real interest in this game, and therefore am just on the sidelines. I watched gameplay in action last night, and the multiplayer looked like a quest in frustration. The single player looked fun, especially hearing the overseeing commander(who was voiced by Glenn Morshower [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0607703/]) talking about 'the taco joint being overrun' was quite amusing to hear. I could only think of bad people overtaking the taco place I worked at once upon a time, and Army Rangers coming in to save the day! But in the end, it seems funner to watch than to play. As for the delay on digital release, maybe we just saw an offensive exchange in the battle between physical and digital media. As Graham puts it so eloquently,'Get it on!'

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
HotFezz8 said:
thinking about it there was a steam fuck up with Empire Total War as well...

why can't they just crack Steam on the head and go back to the solid copys? it seems a much better way to limit piracy and prove ownership.

can anyone tell me a advantage steam has over hard copys apart from space saving?

i mean it in all seriousness, with nothing but genuine curiosty: i have and own something like four hundred DVDs, thirty PC games, maybe twenty xbox 360 games, and short of the house burning down, i know they're safe.

with steam, the only possible advantage i can see is that they are in a much smaller place...

i can pick them up, take them to a friends, loan them to friends, they don't take up space on my PC, and if the thing gets bugged or crashes or is stoled i don't loose them all. i don't see the appeal.
Main benefit of Steam is that the games are linked to your Steam account so regardless of what computer you're on, you can download and play your games and even without the discs. It also automatically patches and updates your games for you and recently with Steam adding in Server Cloud support, your settings for each game are saved to your account so you don't need to fiddle with them if you move stuff from one computer to another.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Ouch.
Poor PC gamers.
I'd comfort you more, but i got some.... err... "stuff" to play.

Bye.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
Hafnium said:
katsabas said:
Big deal. So they get their itch cured a bit later. What, are they gonna have a seizure or something? Jeez... I hate impatient people.
The problem, if you hadn't noticed, is that it's the straw that broke the camel's back. It's like someone mugged you, broke your nose, and THEN threw your shoes in a river.

So yeah, I see why people are annoyed over all this.

I was kind of interested, and my buddy was without a doubt going to buy it, but now neither of us will for any platform.
MGlBlaze said:
Amnestic said:
PipBoy4000 said:
PC gaming is dead anyway.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAH! *wipes tear* Hah...hah...heh...

Oh god, you're serious?
PC gaming dead? Oh, please.

Although Activision and IW does seem to be doing everything possible to piss off their consumer base on the PC side of things. It's like they're trolling all of us!
**** me do all PC gamers spend the day asleep and only come out at night ;-)

lol the steam CEOs are going to have to walk around with onions stakes and holy water... oh no wait, that might be more of a own goal if they spill it on themselves and explode into flames...

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
Chaos Marine said:
HotFezz8 said:
thinking about it there was a steam fuck up with Empire Total War as well...

why can't they just crack Steam on the head and go back to the solid copys? it seems a much better way to limit piracy and prove ownership.

can anyone tell me a advantage steam has over hard copys apart from space saving?

i mean it in all seriousness, with nothing but genuine curiosty: i have and own something like four hundred DVDs, thirty PC games, maybe twenty xbox 360 games, and short of the house burning down, i know they're safe.

with steam, the only possible advantage i can see is that they are in a much smaller place...

i can pick them up, take them to a friends, loan them to friends, they don't take up space on my PC, and if the thing gets bugged or crashes or is stoled i don't loose them all. i don't see the appeal.
Main benefit of Steam is that the games are linked to your Steam account so regardless of what computer you're on, you can download and play your games and even without the discs. It also automatically patches and updates your games for you and recently with Steam adding in Server Cloud support, your settings for each game are saved to your account so you don't need to fiddle with them if you move stuff from one computer to another.
i can see how that would be useful if you got a new pc, but you still have to download it, the only difference is that you don't have to carry the game around with you, and (presumably) if you are changing computer either you have just replaced the pc and the games will still be within easy reach or you have changed house, in which case if they aren't in easy reach you have not unpacked properly and therefore shouldn't be on the pc...

the auto updates etc sound like a reasonable reason to have it though.

surely there will be a large number of gamers whose main pc isn't actually connected to the internet becuase they have naughty stuff on it..?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
HotFezz8 said:
surely there will be a large number of gamers whose main pc isn't actually connected to the internet becuase they have naughty stuff on it..?
I highly doubt that. The only supporting fact I could find is that in nearly all households earning over $100,000 ? 95 percent ? own at least one computer, and 92 percent are online.[footnote]US Census[/footnote] Baring this percentage difference growing wildly in lower income families, almost everyone who owns a computer is connected to the internet.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
Slycne said:
HotFezz8 said:
I highly doubt that. The only supporting fact I could find is that in nearly all households earning over $100,000 ? 95 percent ? own at least one computer, and 92 percent are online.[footnote]US Census[/footnote] Baring this percentage difference growing wildly in lower income families, almost everyone who owns a computer is connected to the internet.
oh fair enough, its just all my mates then is it ;-) lol

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
HotFezz8 said:
Hafnium said:
katsabas said:
Big deal. So they get their itch cured a bit later. What, are they gonna have a seizure or something? Jeez... I hate impatient people.
The problem, if you hadn't noticed, is that it's the straw that broke the camel's back. It's like someone mugged you, broke your nose, and THEN threw your shoes in a river.

So yeah, I see why people are annoyed over all this.

I was kind of interested, and my buddy was without a doubt going to buy it, but now neither of us will for any platform.
MGlBlaze said:
Amnestic said:
PipBoy4000 said:
PC gaming is dead anyway.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAH! *wipes tear* Hah...hah...heh...

Oh god, you're serious?
PC gaming dead? Oh, please.

Although Activision and IW does seem to be doing everything possible to piss off their consumer base on the PC side of things. It's like they're trolling all of us!
**** me do all PC gamers spend the day asleep and only come out at night ;-)

lol the steam CEOs are going to have to walk around with onions stakes and holy water... oh no wait, that might be more of a own goal if they spill it on themselves and explode into flames...
Well, if you mean the time when we posted this stuff; there is more than one time-zone, you know.

Although nice burn on the CEOs owning themselves if they get the holy water on themselves. xD

I'd actually like to throw a few cloves of garlic their way and see what happens...