Steam Users Can't Play Modern Warfare 2 Until Thursday

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
MGlBlaze said:
HotFezz8 said:
Hafnium said:
katsabas said:
Big deal. So they get their itch cured a bit later. What, are they gonna have a seizure or something? Jeez... I hate impatient people.
The problem, if you hadn't noticed, is that it's the straw that broke the camel's back. It's like someone mugged you, broke your nose, and THEN threw your shoes in a river.

So yeah, I see why people are annoyed over all this.

I was kind of interested, and my buddy was without a doubt going to buy it, but now neither of us will for any platform.
MGlBlaze said:
Amnestic said:
PipBoy4000 said:
PC gaming is dead anyway.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAH! *wipes tear* Hah...hah...heh...

Oh god, you're serious?
PC gaming dead? Oh, please.

Although Activision and IW does seem to be doing everything possible to piss off their consumer base on the PC side of things. It's like they're trolling all of us!
**** me do all PC gamers spend the day asleep and only come out at night ;-)

lol the steam CEOs are going to have to walk around with onions stakes and holy water... oh no wait, that might be more of a own goal if they spill it on themselves and explode into flames...
Well, if you mean the time when we posted this stuff; there is more than one time-zone, you know.

Although nice burn on the CEOs owning themselves if they get the holy water on themselves. xD

I'd actually like to throw a few cloves of garlic their way and see what happens...
they would smell better?

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
at least they have time to try to cancel their purchase...
...or can you do so in steam?
I have to say i hope the PC version does poorly, espicially as other developers will look to this as a test model.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I am really beginning to think there's a conspiracy to wipe Call of Duty from the PC forever. How sad.

Luckily, I still have my copies of the original CoD and United Offensive. Hell if I know where my copy of CoD2 went off to though...

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
HotFezz8 said:
**** me do all PC gamers spend the day asleep and only come out at night ;-)
Occassionally, yes. :) But at the time of writing my last post it was 8:10 pm local time, so yeah it is probably time you learned about timezones. ;)

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
It's now only supposed to be until tomorrow at 9:00:

http://kotaku.com/5401569/modern-warfare-2-steam-release-bumped-back--forth

But Kotaku said that it also got pushed back to Friday at one point today.

What on Earth is going on?

peasant242

Nov 11, 2009
Really doesn't make any sense that a virtual copy would be harder to distribute than a physical copy. Honestly when I bought it on steam I didn't even notice the release date, I knew it was gonna be on steam and I assumed the release would be midnight. Furthermore why even advertise a preload if you have to wait 2 days after launch anyways.

Either way Valve is far superior to any other company for PC, including IW, so my money will go to them from now on.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
I am going to get the game on a console, but it seems odd they would do this without proper reasoning... oh well, I suppose another reason for PC gamers to be pissed at the game.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I am not a big fan of playing shooters on the console, really prefer the mouse and keyboard setup for shooters...but I'll be renting MW2 for the Xbox 360, playing through the depressingly short single player and then moving on.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
HotFezz8 said:
Chaos Marine said:
HotFezz8 said:
thinking about it there was a steam fuck up with Empire Total War as well...

why can't they just crack Steam on the head and go back to the solid copys? it seems a much better way to limit piracy and prove ownership.

can anyone tell me a advantage steam has over hard copys apart from space saving?

i mean it in all seriousness, with nothing but genuine curiosty: i have and own something like four hundred DVDs, thirty PC games, maybe twenty xbox 360 games, and short of the house burning down, i know they're safe.

with steam, the only possible advantage i can see is that they are in a much smaller place...

i can pick them up, take them to a friends, loan them to friends, they don't take up space on my PC, and if the thing gets bugged or crashes or is stoled i don't loose them all. i don't see the appeal.
Main benefit of Steam is that the games are linked to your Steam account so regardless of what computer you're on, you can download and play your games and even without the discs. It also automatically patches and updates your games for you and recently with Steam adding in Server Cloud support, your settings for each game are saved to your account so you don't need to fiddle with them if you move stuff from one computer to another.
i can see how that would be useful if you got a new pc, but you still have to download it, the only difference is that you don't have to carry the game around with you, and (presumably) if you are changing computer either you have just replaced the pc and the games will still be within easy reach or you have changed house, in which case if they aren't in easy reach you have not unpacked properly and therefore shouldn't be on the pc...

the auto updates etc sound like a reasonable reason to have it though.

surely there will be a large number of gamers whose main pc isn't actually connected to the internet becuase they have naughty stuff on it..?
It is and it can, I don't know if many people know this but you don't need to actually install Steam to get it to work, when I was switching my stuff over to my freshly self built computer in 2007, I copied my Steam folder to my new computer's gaming hard drive and it worked straight away without any installation or anything.

Why though, I think Steam is also very good, is that you can have it on as many computers you own as you like. I have a crappy old Toshiba laptop that I use pretty much as a virtual Win98SE computer to play really old games reliably, the only limit is that you can only have Steam active on computer at a time which is fine as I'm not exactly Dr. Manhattan. But if you want to allow your friends to play, you can simply put it into offline mode and the only limit is they can't play your games online.

And one other point, Indy games. Seriously, Audiosurf, Killing Floor, Nation Red, Machinarium, it's fantastic for getting Indy games that normally couldn't get sold in the shops.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Strategia said:
Because it's a habit for me? Because there are no game stores where I live? Because I *gasp* like Steam? Because it's my own decision?
Ok than your point being what? STEAM didnt give you enough warning about the delayed release because you have a force of habit of pre-ordering a digital copy of the game way ahead of time?

All i said was this isn't news buddy, nothing against you and your love for STEAM (which i have myself :D ).

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Strategia said:
Because it's a habit for me? Because there are no game stores where I live? Because I *gasp* like Steam? Because it's my own decision?
Ok than your point being what? STEAM didnt give you enough warning about the delayed release because you have a force of habit of pre-ordering a digital copy of the game way ahead of time?

All i said was this isn't news buddy, nothing against you and your love for STEAM (which i have myself :D ).
Actually, I don't have a habit of pre-ordering, my habit is just for using Steam because I live in the armpit of the middle of nowhere. And like I said, I'm siding with the majority now, I applied for a refund (I've yet to hear confirmation from support though).

And sorry for taking it personally. I haven't been getting enough sleep lately, which tends to make me cranky.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Very strange.

Although the closing comment on Steam is irrelevant, I'd happily run every game I own through it - the only reason I don't is because I install/uninstall a lot so it means I'll have to keep adding things in manually.

Vallis

Sep 13, 2009
Kollega said:
Ha-ha. What do they have against PC version? No,seriously. It looks like they are deliberately shooting PC-gamers - and themselves - in the feet. With a rocket launcher.

dont forget, in hearty Valve Software tradition, shooting yourself in the foot with a Rocket Launcher or Grenade launcher is a solid strategy.

How else are you supposed to get on that Ledge?

As far as the actual issue at hand? ...

id much rather they admit, that to avoid a complete grid lock of their systems they are staggering the launch.

Will some spastics be denied 3 days of shooting stuff? sure.

but do we really want this to turn into the launch for Anarchy Online?

The only faux pas i see is that Valve did not let those who were purchasing from steam directly know that they were going to be delayed.

I understand why, less people would have bought it from there, but its still bad form.