Steam Xmas sale has started and secret santa?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So again, Lord Gaben has come for your wallets with great deals to entice and entertain. What are some games you have your eyes on that might suddenly find their ways into your libraries?
I have a feeling I'll probably end up with Project Wingman, Remnant, Darksiders Genesis, and Ori and the WIll of the Wisps. Possible others include Taur, Slasher's Keep, Time Spinner, Sky Rogue, and Nightmare Reaper. Those are just the ones that come to mind right now without me giving into impulse and getting something like Blaster Master.

Also, I was wondering if there is much interest in doing some kinda secret santa thing? But we would also have the question of what the best way to get games for people would be since not all of us use Steam and there are also console players here and I don't know of a good way to gift those games if you don't have an account. Off hand I would assume Steam keys/gifts would be the best but if anyone has any better ideas post em.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So again, Lord Gaben has come for your wallets with great deals to entice and entertain. What are some games you have your eyes on that might suddenly find their ways into your libraries?
I have a feeling I'll probably end up with Project Wingman, Remnant, Darksiders Genesis, and Ori and the WIll of the Wisps. Possible others include Taur, Slasher's Keep, Time Spinner, Sky Rogue, and Nightmare Reaper. Those are just the ones that come to mind right now without me giving into impulse and getting something like Blaster Master.

Also, I was wondering if there is much interest in doing some kinda secret santa thing? But we would also have the question of what the best way to get games for people would be since not all of us use Steam and there are also console players here and I don't know of a good way to gift those games if you don't have an account. Off hand I would assume Steam keys/gifts would be the best but if anyone has any better ideas post em.

I picked up the digital deluxe version of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to round out my collection, but do have quite a few other Steam games I probably won't ever play that would be cool to gift.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I picked up the digital deluxe version of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to round out my collection, but do have quite a few other Steam games I probably won't ever play that would be cool to gift.
I was gifted Baulders Gate 3, Project Wingman and Ori and the will of the wisps. So far I've only gotten to Project Wingman since I'm also still working on Cyberpunk. I still need to grab some stuff for myself.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I broke and got Yakuza like a dragon, probably could have waited a few months and gotten it at -50% but it looks really good...

Project wingman is still full price so I'm gonna wait on it, but probably will grab it at -25% too since I love myself some ace combat and 8 is probably still a few years away.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I broke and got Yakuza like a dragon, probably could have waited a few months and gotten it at -50% but it looks really good...

Project wingman is still full price so I'm gonna wait on it, but probably will grab it at -25% too since I love myself some ace combat and 8 is probably still a few years away.
So far Project wingman is really killer, it puts me in mind of Ace Combat Shattered Skies. The setting is modern fantasy kinda thing with modern fighters and some big modern scifi aircraft, but you aren't really a character yourself like in Ace Combat 7 with its melodramatic plot.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I picked up both Ori games, because I haven't tried them yet and I figured the sale was a good chance.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Fandom gave me a $50 Steam voucher (which translated to around $66 AUD). Used it to get Gears Tactics, Sonic Lost World, and Red Faction Armageddon.

Much as I appreciate it, they've pretty much joined my endless backlog.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Steam sales just haven't been as good since flash sales stopping being a thing (after steam created their refund policy). I honestly haven't been excited for a steam sale in years.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I let my brother know about the sale on Bot Vice. After doing the eShop sales, I'm good right now. I probably check the PSN holiday sales later.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I picked up Fallout New Vegas and Shadowrun Hong Kong, I re-bought Shadowrun Dragonfall and Mark of the Ninja on Steam as the GOG versions were have issues with playing with a controller. Mark of the Ninja had a weird camera issue where it would move up no matter what (tried the fixes I found googling) and I couldn't figure out how to get the left stick to be used as the mouse in Dragonfall via DS4Windows, only the touchpad would work as the mouse (which wasn't very comfortable at all), with the Steam version it was pretty simple to customize the controller inputs. Also, I installed 47 Fallout NV mods before even playing...

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Steam sales just haven't been as good since flash sales stopping being a thing (after steam created their refund policy). I honestly haven't been excited for a steam sale in years.
I agree. I used to love their developer bundles where it was like get every Valve game for $30. I bought a love of bundles in college and that's why my library has 400-something games in it.

These days I buy all the games I want at launch, or damn near, so the sales are meaningless because I already have anything I would have been interested in for the most part.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I picked up both Ori games, because I haven't tried them yet and I figured the sale was a good chance.
I liked the first one, for the most part. Can't comment on the 2nd one. My only real issue is that there's a timed sequence or two where the reflexes required gets a bit much and there's a distinct lack of checkpoints to make it easier. I managed to make it to the last one before this reflexes + lack of checkpoints finally pushed me into dropping down to easy just to get an extra checkpoint to finish the game.

Yeah, the action setpieces that finish each major segment of the game are cool....except when you're doing it for the 30th time because you keep fucking up near the end and have to restart the entire sequence yet again, so it becomes less awesome and more an exercise in seeing if you can memorize the exact sequence(and hit all the right moves at the right time) to eventually succeed. Oh, and forget about trying to do this all on the first try. You're more or less guaranteed to die a couple times learning the sequence. This isn't so much "Git gud" but Dragons Lair on steroids.

Still a lot of fun though and looks amazing.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I just grabbed Darsiders Genesis, Nightmare Reaper, Timespinner and Remnant. So far I've just played Nightmare Reaper and its pretty damn cool so far.