Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor Review

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Oh poo, what a disappointing and very unsurprising turn of events.

My Kinect just sits there the vast majority of time, waiting for a game that isn't dancing/exercise to come out. I knew this game would probably be terrible but I was hoping against all odds that it would work. But alas, I will have to wait a bit longer and hope that SOMETHING comes out for the system...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
looks like it could've been good, but they'd have to limit the motion controls to non-combat controls

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I have a feeling the people behind Steel Battalion wanted to make a game. The producers were like, "great! That's a brand with a lot of *chuckle* weight." Then they were green lit with a big budget- with one hitch; "your game must be a Kinect game. It's not doing very well, and needs a big title."

I'd wager the game was designed fine, but the problem lies in the Kinect itself. The devs had scale things back a bunch just to allow for that awkwardness that is the Kinect.

Honestly, I don't understand why we keep hearing about this motion platform. Is it because the 360 is the most owned platform in the console market? Everyone needs to use a kinect now? Why hasn't it suffered crushing defeat yet?

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
When was the last time a serious and good kinect game came out?
Oh that's right none, it a gimmicky peripheral and when will microsoft learn that you can't make a serious game for the kinect?

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
FelixG said:
>people complain that all the games shoot Russians and middle easterners
>people complain that developers are xenophobic when they include multinational enemies

I love how special gamers are, I really do...

Then again it is the Japanese who made the thing... :p
\

The attackers were actually all strangely Asian.

Anyway, it is not the multicultural aspect of the UN I am annoyed about (even though they are all Asian), but rather that they would use an institution like the UN in the first place which strive to, albeit ineffectually, bring relief to areas of suffering.

Couldn't they have thought of some other evil organization, like and 'Allies' against America?

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
FelixG said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
FelixG said:
>people complain that all the games shoot Russians and middle easterners
>people complain that developers are xenophobic when they include multinational enemies

I love how special gamers are, I really do...

Then again it is the Japanese who made the thing... :p
\

The attackers were actually all strangely Asian.

Anyway, it is not the multicultural aspect of the UN I am annoyed about (even though they are all Asian), but rather that they would use an institution like the UN in the first place which strive to, albeit ineffectually, bring relief to areas of suffering.

Couldn't they have thought of some other evil organization, like and 'Allies' against America?
The plot seems very silly, apparently China became the head of the security council and used that as a puppet to start a war of conquest.

Funnily enough I could see the UN being used as a puppet like that.

I suppose they could have used a different faction, but really why bother? Its just a rather silly game.
I think a better setting would have been a sort of WWII setting. Overused, I know, but judging by the previews the technology looks like that time period. And they should have played it for laughs as well, with Nazi Mechs having a right arm solely for the purpose of hail-ing

TWD3

Jun 29, 2012
First this game is FUN (once you learn the controls). Fun as in I was up playing this game waaay past my bedtime- my girlfriend and my work are suffering as I am having so much fun in fact that a chronic lack of sleep and loss of free time are beginning to take a toll.

As someone who once spent a fair amount of time gaming, and am only recently flirting (again) with gaming, what I'm finding is video games have become, dumber. Case in point, Splinter Cell. On the original XBox, it was a masterful stealth game and title that required thought if you were to complete. Now, it's a mindless scoot and shoot- just like nearly every other tittle I am finding. I stopped playing video games around the time the original Assassins Creed came out. I could not believe the repetitive nature of that title, nor could I understand the overwhelming critical praise. I had no idea at the time this was a harbinger of games to come. It seems the dumbing down, (numbing down), of the masses is in full swing but I digress.

In a cookie cutter "me too" gaming world, Steel Battalion stands out as something completely- different, but not just different for difference sake. Steel Battalion is a well balanced game that does an artful job of placing the gamer in a massive Vertical Tank. When you play Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor you actually feel like you are wielding a massive steel contraption in battle. You also feel a connection to your tank mates and when they die, you feel that too, like nothing else I've experienced in a sandbox video game before. As for the controls that seem to illicit such outrage from the main street press, once learned, they contribute to a sense of immersion that had the same command been tied to a button on your controller, never could or would. This is a game that must first be learned and then later, hours later, you begin to master the art of piloting a VT (Vertical Tank) in battle; how to take cover while under fire, how to plan your shots to hit the most vulnerable parts of your opponents Vertical Tank (VT) and all while staying cool under fire. Along the way you have fun and frustration, but for me at least, the game consumes me in nothing else but what I am doing in that moment and that?s the point. Games should be fun, they should allow us to exist in the moment, and for some of us, (perhaps too few of us), this means games must challenge us and take us places we have never been before. In order to do this each new title cannot be a simplistic reinterpretation of countless games before. And this brings me to my opening point, if the evolution of video games I've witnessed can be taken as the true state of not only gaming, but also human intelligence, the dumbing down of the masses is not merely an interesting or novel comment, it is a reality in full swing and with the full support of the media it seems.

WhichDoctor

Feb 17, 2009
So you wont to make the Chinese the bad guys, ok i can sort of see that, why not make the good guys Taiwan? Here's the pitch: In a dystopian future the west has dwindled to a point where they can no longer keep a check on China's military. It tries to retake Taiwan but the Taiwanese manage to just about hold there ground with a army of secretly designed futuristic mechs.
How does that sound?

If you wont to play as the underdog why not pick a side that's already the underdog? Instead of coming up with some contrived way of trying to turn America into one. America hasn't been the underdog in any war since 1865. Even Europe or Britten would have made more sense.

Also even with the stupid plot I would love to play this game, if it was on PC, it looks so cool!

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
This looked 100% awesome.. Then came the controls... Give me this for PC! Just being able to look around inside your tank and "aim" for the buttons and levers you want to press/pull would be awesome! AND it would eliminate the "extremely-packed-keyboard" syndrome that certain games, especially flying simulators and arma 2, tend to have...

I really had high hopes for a few hopeful seconds there.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
I´m with TWD3, for some reason, my kinect doesn´t act up, considering I play in a cramped room with no lighting besides the TV itself, my kinect must be blessed by Jesus or something...or may it be for the infrared sensoring?

The game was mad fun for me...didn´t have an issue with the controls. Most people think you have to do exactly what you think you have to do in real life to get the motion done, but we aren´t nearly that far in motion controls...most controls in SB:HA are dead simple...
Periscope? Lift hand above head.
Viewport? Extend both hands while holding controller.
Pickup grenade, Shake Hands? Extent Arm.
And those are the ones you need the most if you aren´t and idiot and get hit all the time...

Now, looking around inside your VT and changing ammo could have been controler movements aswell´, the motion controls for that just don´t make sense...I mean common, the loader sits right next to you, why do I have to press a BUTTON infront of me which probably makes a light turn up for the loader indicating a shell...
Or a voice command or whatever, altho Im not a fan of voice commands.

But this comes from a Kinect noob...I have had no Idea about motion controls before, and I could make it work very well.
Now ask yourselfs...why couldn´t you?

BTW: this "UN" is not the same UN we have now...this "UN" was declared by *cough cough"Not-China*cough, after they conquered most of asia after the Third World War, which ended 2045. After that, Not-China declared 16 nations as the "UN"...40 years later, they have conquered most of the world. Only the US and Russia still fighting back.

It´s not the same UN we have now...get it?

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
The idea of a PC port of this game is the perfect idea, honestly. Even after seeing all the negative reviews of the game, they all talk about how much potential it had underneath. If you just get a decent control system for it, Heavy Armor would be a blast.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
TWD3 said:
First this game is FUN (once you learn the controls). Fun as in I was up playing this game waaay past my bedtime- my girlfriend and my work are suffering as I am having so much fun in fact that a chronic lack of sleep and loss of free time are beginning to take a toll.

As someone who once spent a fair amount of time gaming, and am only recently flirting (again) with gaming, what I'm finding is video games have become, dumber. Case in point, Splinter Cell. On the original XBox, it was a masterful stealth game and title that required thought if you were to complete. Now, it's a mindless scoot and shoot- just like nearly every other tittle I am finding. I stopped playing video games around the time the original Assassins Creed came out. I could not believe the repetitive nature of that title, nor could I understand the overwhelming critical praise. I had no idea at the time this was a harbinger of games to come. It seems the dumbing down, (numbing down), of the masses is in full swing but I digress.

In a cookie cutter "me too" gaming world, Steel Battalion stands out as something completely- different, but not just different for difference sake. Steel Battalion is a well balanced game that does an artful job of placing the gamer in a massive Vertical Tank. When you play Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor you actually feel like you are wielding a massive steel contraption in battle. You also feel a connection to your tank mates and when they die, you feel that too, like nothing else I've experienced in a sandbox video game before. As for the controls that seem to illicit such outrage from the main street press, once learned, they contribute to a sense of immersion that had the same command been tied to a button on your controller, never could or would. This is a game that must first be learned and then later, hours later, you begin to master the art of piloting a VT (Vertical Tank) in battle; how to take cover while under fire, how to plan your shots to hit the most vulnerable parts of your opponents Vertical Tank (VT) and all while staying cool under fire. Along the way you have fun and frustration, but for me at least, the game consumes me in nothing else but what I am doing in that moment and that?s the point. Games should be fun, they should allow us to exist in the moment, and for some of us, (perhaps too few of us), this means games must challenge us and take us places we have never been before. In order to do this each new title cannot be a simplistic reinterpretation of countless games before. And this brings me to my opening point, if the evolution of video games I've witnessed can be taken as the true state of not only gaming, but also human intelligence, the dumbing down of the masses is not merely an interesting or novel comment, it is a reality in full swing and with the full support of the media it seems.
Problem is, reviewers don't have that long to play the game, they need to get through it as quickly as they can. And you know what? If your controls take that long to master, you're not doing a good job as a designer, and if they're that awkward, then either the tech doesn't work or you debugging and programming team isn't as good as they need to be. Also, games haven't been getting dumber, they've changed and simply seem dumber. Go look at Endless Space or the indy community, you'll find your complexity there.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I question if we are talking about a game with a CREW why not have support up to 3 controllers. As in one person sits in one seat doing the functions of that one job. One person does the other job like say the loader/gunner and so on.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
TWD3 said:
Mmm a Fresh Account and only one post

Now I am not saying you are one of the developers or people behind the game. You might be just a big fan of the Steel Battalion games.

But lets be fair here.. controls matter.. and just like if you had a JRPG that would take 40 hours before you would "get it" .. that is to long. Remember the backlash on Final Fantasy XIII, the 20 hour long "and now we teach you this thing"

Yeah.. the problem is that maybe yes you can get really good at the controls after 20 hours .. .. why would anybody put 20 hours FIRST in the game to get there. You have to give them a reason.

Look I can see this game work find if it supported 3 controllers, as in 3 different players each taking a different role in the tank. That would be fun.. you would have little fights over who would get to take what position true but.

And maybe if they patch up this game so it will support non kinect mode [yeah as if Microsoft allows for that] and go for a 2/3 controller control system. It indeed would be the game it should have been.

It still would mean using old technology, battling enemies and being able to lose. It still would mean that the tension would be there... if programmed right.

But with Kinect it fails because Kinect is like the original Wii controller. It is fine with big movements, WAGGLE WAGGLE WAGGLE .. but smaller movements are not its fortee!

JonathanDP81

Legacy
Jan 25, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Country
United States
Cap
TheNaut131 said:
Hammartroll said:
sigh, it looks like this game would be a blast if somehow done right
They could simplify the controls, but that'd make the Steel Battlion series kinda...pointless. Now that I think of it, the answer to this is simply. Like really simple. Stupidly fucking simple in fact. Like sitting-smack-dab-in-front-of-your-hands-in-current-use simple.

A keyboard. Think about it, plenty of buttons to do this and that, nowhere near as cumbersome as the original game's large controller, yet a million times more responsive than the Kinect will ever be, in any single lifetime. An even better idea would be a slightly modded keyboard or even custom keyboard specifically for this game. It'd still be easier to use than either other control method.
Capcom really needs to re-release this game for PCs if only to get some of their money back. I really love the dieselpunk look.