Steel Meets Sorcery in Surprisingly Good Conan Reboot Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Steel Meets Sorcery in Surprisingly Good Conan Reboot Trailer

Dark, stylish and oozing atmosphere: By Crom, this Conan reboot might actually be good!

When you hear the name "Conan the Barbarian," it's hard not to think of Arnold Schwarzenegger who played the part in two movies back in the eighties. But, with a new century comes a new Conan, and if this trailer's anything to go by, he might just give Arnie a run for his money.

The new Conan is played by Jason Mamoa, who has most recently appeared as Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones, as well as Ronon Dex in Stargate Atlantis. The reboot's plot is similar to the first movie's: Conan's family is slaughtered by a warlord, leaving the young Cimmerian to seek revenge. But rather than grow up as a slave and gladiator, as was the case in the Schwarzenegger film, Conan survives as a thief, pirate and a warrior, which is a little more in keeping with Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories.

As well as Momoa, the movie stars Stephen Lang - who played Colonel Miles Quaritch in Avatar - as the villainous warlord, Khalar Zym, Rose McGowan as Zym's equally villainous and more than a little sorcerous daughter, Marique, and Ron Perlman - of Hellboy fame - as Conan's father, Corin. Conan the Barbarian is directed by Marcus Nispel, who seems to be something of a go-to-guy when it comes to reboots. He's also directed the new versions of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th.

I have to say, the movie looks surprisingly good. It has a dark and gritty feel to it, and Mamoa looks great as Conan. There are only a few snippets of the action though, so it's hard to tell whether it will actually be as fun to watch, or whether it will be a letdown. All the same, cautious optimism seems like a good position to take here.

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2011/05/1st-conan-the-barbarian-t.php]

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
sigh... really ronon? the jumping sword move AGAIN?

anyway... looks ok i guess, he doesn't really seem like that much of a leading man, i suppose there's a reason he barely has any dialogue/face time in the trailer...

the eye shadow seems a bit much too...

and here i go, nitpicking again

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Wait... did anyone else see him hit a horse in the face with a giant chain?

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Oooh this looks a lot closer to the books too(and the game if you've played it) which is good because the original Conan just took the basic idea like a lot of stuff from that era.There is something good about doing things by the book.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
It looks decent I guess, I'm not really feeling it. Don't see why it's getting such a great reaction, other than the fact it's far better than the teaser we saw awhile back.

It kind of just reminds me of the new Clash of the Titans... Which isn't good.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Among other great series' that will be spoiled by remakes this year: Planet of the Apes.

Althought I will go see that one just to hear James Franco say;

Get your hands off me, YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!
In other news, the remake of Jaws has been put on hold. Thank Christ for that.

ProtonGuy

Apr 7, 2011
Conan what is best in life!? To crush ones enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
That was, erm, rather meh. In comparison to the first trailer, it's goddamn brilliant, but judging it by its own merits, it isn't very noteworthy. At all.

Also, I really hope the music in the trailer is not indicative of the quality of the film's score, especially when the original Conan: The Barbarian had pretty much the greatest score of any film ever.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
To me this doesn't replace the original Conan the Barbarian, but merely tells the tale from a different perspective.

And I am liking this.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The guy who directed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday The 13th remakes is directing this? Oh man, it's gonna suck worse than Red Sonja.

The trailer tells us nothing of what could or will happen in the movie. Sometimes doing that works because it creates mystery and makes us want to see the movie to figure out what happens, but here it just doesn't work. The text used to build up the movie is utterly, completely generic. It's far removed from Mako's narration from the beginning of the '82 movie. Here, this is the audio to the opening of the 1982 movie. Pay attention to the dialogue from 0:32 to 1:04.

Plus, I just really hate the way this thing is edited. What's so hard about letting us seeing the entire shot instead of making it look like we're viewing it through a strobelight? Plus, I saw that shaky-cam shot you tried to sneak in there. Is it so hard to buy a friggin' tripod and keep the camera stationary? People tend to like your movie more when they can, you know, SEE THE ACTION!!

Also, the music selection is just horrible. It might just be me, but electric guitars have absolutely NO place in Conan the Barbarian. Nor do snare drums. Going back to the Youtube video I linked, just listen to that. The drums, the brass and strings sections, it immediately sets the mood for a big, epic production and gets you fired up. The music in the '11 trailer is, like the text, bland and generic. It sounds almost taken from Halo. And that's not a slam against Halo, the music was appropriate there. Here it just sounds out of place.

Now I'm curious. What did the original Conan trailer look like?

Unbelievable. Everything the 2011 trailer did wrong, the 1982 trailer did right. Quickly establshed the hero, the villain, the setting, the story and a couple of side characters and gave us a sample of some of the great music from the soundtrack (the tracks were "The Anvil of Crom" and "Riders of Doom"). Quick, simple and efficient. The 2011 trailer does establish the main and secondary characters and the villain, but we know nothing of the story or setting. Where is this place? When is it? Why should I care?

Some of you would call me a fanboy of the 1982 movie. I would reply, "so?"

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't care for the idea of changing how he was raised as a slave. The best bit of the old movies was where he breaks free, but you get to see him live as a serf, which later drives him to become a king. Also, it displayed how he discovered strength better. And... it's how it was in the books, which there are plenty of.

On the streets, living as a thief, that is way over done as it is. But, the least common denominator it is.

I just hope they have him discover that grave (presumably the resting place of Crom, god of Steel). That was awesome.

Don't have high hopes for this, but as a Conan fanboy, I am morally obligated to see it.

PS. James Earl Jones would still be the best villain for the movie.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
This is better than that teaser, but that isn't saying much. It all looks so by-the-numbers and uninspired. The guy playing Conan delivers every line like he's requesting more mayo. I am really not looking forward to an hour and a half of this. Also, I hope that music is just for the trailer. And take your goddamn finger off the 'skip' button so I can see more than 12 milliseconds of something.

Kazinski

Jul 13, 2010
Guys can we stop looking at Arnie's movies for Conan reference geez, those movies are an offense to the real Conan from Howard's books. In fact to give you all an example on how bad Arnold's movies are in terms of adaptation, think of all the offensive Video Game Adaptations and you'll have a pretty good picture.

As for the movie itself, I am kind of sad that they didn't just pick a story from the books an expanded on it or something. They went and made Conan a revenge centric character rather than a purely adventurous person he should be. All in all it's definitely looks like a step forward into making something closer to the source material.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
What did they do to Rose Mc Gowan!? Jeez she looks crazy....i mean, i guess that's what they were going for but still!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
T8B95 said:
Among other great series' that will be spoiled by remakes this year: Planet of the Apes.
Its a prequel, not a remake.

OT: Looks pretty dire to me.

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Urg, this looks like terrible, generic schmuk. I am really hoping that it's just whoever put together the trailer, but I have a feeling it's not. I live for the day when they do Conan real justice in the cinema because as yet, it hasn't happened.