Steel Meets Sorcery in Surprisingly Good Conan Reboot Trailer

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Looks better than the extremely lame teaser. But it also looks like they're trying to put too much action into one film. Typical.

Woodsey said:
T8B95 said:
Among other great series' that will be spoiled by remakes this year: Planet of the Apes.
Its a prequel, not a remake.
Well, in a way it's a remake of a prequel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes].

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I don't know. The director has a real challenge ahead of him if he thinks he can make a movie as cheezy and bad as the original Conan. In this case, having just a few people say that the original was better would be a nail in the coffin of the director's career.

Jun 11, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Steel Meets Sorcery in Surprisingly Good Conan Reboot Trailer

Dark, stylish and oozing atmosphere: By Crom, this Conan reboot might actually be good!

When you hear the name "Conan the Barbarian," it's hard not to think of Arnold Schwarzenegger who played the part in two movies back in the eighties. But, with a new century comes a new Conan, and if this trailer's anything to go by, he might just give Arnie a run for his money.

The new Conan is played by Jason Mamoa, who has most recently appeared as Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones, as well as Ronon Dex in Stargate Atlantis. The reboot's plot is similar to the first movie's: Conan's family is slaughtered by a warlord, leaving the young Cimmerian to seek revenge. But rather than grow up as a slave and gladiator, as was the case in the Schwarzenegger film, Conan survives as a thief, pirate and a warrior, which is a little more in keeping with Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories.

As well as Momoa, the movie stars Stephen Lang - who played Colonel Miles Quaritch in Avatar - as the villainous warlord, Khalar Zym, Rose McGowan as Zym's equally villainous and more than a little sorcerous daughter, Marique, and Ron Perlman - of Hellboy fame - as Conan's father, Corin. Conan the Barbarian is directed by Marcus Nispel, who seems to be something of a go-to-guy when it comes to reboots. He's also directed the new versions of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th.

I have to say, the movie looks surprisingly good. It has a dark and gritty feel to it, and Mamoa looks great as Conan. There are only a few snippets of the action though, so it's hard to tell whether it will actually be as fun to watch, or whether it will be a letdown. All the same, cautious optimism seems like a good position to take here.

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2011/05/1st-conan-the-barbarian-t.php]

You messed up BBcode in the title just to let you know.

OT: Looks interesting anyway but I am not getting my hopes up.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Lame. This is just sad and I'm not even angry. It's so generic looking and I feel that this movie will not do the books justice from what I've seen in the trailer.

I'm so disappointed in the people who hold the rights to the Conan franchise.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I heard the fucking Howie Scream [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf6_hok4-lo] at least three times during this trailer.

That alone made me want to stab someone in the throat.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
This looks pretty good, I'm surprised. I think I could even get used to Conan not looking like Arnie. However, did they really have to cast a Conan with a friggin' American accent? That's really, really off-putting, especially after being used to Arnie's Austrian one.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
plugav said:
Looks better than the extremely lame teaser. But it also looks like they're trying to put too much action into one film. Typical.

Woodsey said:
T8B95 said:
Among other great series' that will be spoiled by remakes this year: Planet of the Apes.
Its a prequel, not a remake.
Well, in a way it's a remake of a prequel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes].
We must go... Deeper.
http://inception.davepedu.com/

Kazinski

Jul 13, 2010
lithium.jelly said:
This looks pretty good, I'm surprised. I think I could even get used to Conan not looking like Arnie. However, did they really have to cast a Conan with a friggin' American accent? That's really, really off-putting, especially after being used to Arnie's Austrian one.
Seriously? Arnie's voice was the worst thing about the bloody old movies (and yes movies, there are 2 of them excluding Red Sonja). His stupid abonxious Austrian accent had nothing to do with the character's origin especially since in the Hyborian age Conan would have been something derived of a celt if anything else.

It's pretty sad that one of my favourite literature characters has a large fanbase that knows
absolutely nothing about the character/setting other than the cheesefest of Arnold movies, it makes any new attempt at creating new movies really hard since the fanboys are misdirected :(.

One thing I'll miss in the new movies is Mako's introduction though. That was taken directly from Howard's Hyborian Poem and was quite epic.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Kazinski said:
lithium.jelly said:
Seriously? Arnie's voice was the worst thing about the bloody old movies (and yes movies, there are 2 of them excluding Red Sonja). His stupid abonxious Austrian accent had nothing to do with the character's origin especially since in the Hyborian age Conan would have been something derived of a celt if anything else.

It's pretty sad that one of my favourite literature characters has a large fanbase that knows
absolutely nothing about the character/setting other than the cheesefest of Arnold movies, it makes any new attempt at creating new movies really hard since the fanboys are misdirected :(.

One thing I'll miss in the new movies is Mako's introduction though. That was taken directly from Howard's Hyborian Poem and was quite epic.
Oh, I know Arnie's accent had nothing to do with the character, I kinda liked it though. And I can enjoy the old cheesy movies in the same way I enjoy both the book and movie Starship Troopers - Each fun in their own way, while remaining almost entirely unrelated to each other.
My complaint was only because I find American accents so bloody grating to the ear, and I'm so damn tired of hearing them in every bit of entertainment.

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
To me this doesn't replace the original Conan the Barbarian, but merely tells the tale from a different perspective.

And I am liking this.
The "original" Conan the Barbarian was doing that to begin with. While this is yet another reimagining, it at least has a few bits and pieces closer to the original stories

Baresark said:
I don't care for the idea of changing how he was raised as a slave. The best bit of the old movies was where he breaks free, but you get to see him live as a serf, which later drives him to become a king. Also, it displayed how he discovered strength better. And... it's how it was in the books, which there are plenty of.
Conan being a slave for 20 years was the invention of the film. Not only is it nowhere to be seen in the original Robert E. Howard stories, but it actively contradicts several of them which happen during a time when, according to the film, he's pushing a giant wheel. They only started using the whole "enlaved as a boy, became powerful through physical exertion" after the film came out, to the character's detriment.

Besides, none of the other Conan stories matter. The original Howard stories are the only canon: anything else is officially-sanctioned fan-fiction.

On the streets, living as a thief, that is way over done as it is. But, the least common denominator it is.
The difference being that Conan actively left Cimmeria to see the world, not because he was forced out of his home.

I just hope they have him discover that grave (presumably the resting place of Crom, god of Steel). That was awesome.
Probably not, because aside from the idea of this being a Quest for Revenge against the Wizard who Killed His Faddah, this isn't a remake. No Thulsa Doom, no Cult of Set, no Valeria, no Subotai, no Wizard, no Wheel of Pain, no Tree of Woe, no gladiator period.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Taranaich said:
Probably not, because aside from the idea of this being a Quest for Revenge against the Wizard who Killed His Faddah, this isn't a remake. No Thulsa Doom, no Cult of Set, no Valeria, no Subotai, no Wizard, no Wheel of Pain, no Tree of Woe, no gladiator period.
Can we have Valeria in the next installment? Please? Of all of Conan's women in the stories, she is my favorite.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
I'm not sure I'd call it a reboot. We get a new Sherlock Holmes/Pride and Prejudice/etc every so often, and they're not really reboots.

That said, on its own merits, this movie is pretty basic fantasy schlock. It could be Xena, frankly.

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Can we have Valeria in the next installment? Please? Of all of Conan's women in the stories, she is my favorite.
The next installment is apparently based on an actual REH story, but since the animated "Red Nails" was being developed (and subsequently in production hell) I don't think it'll be that story. Valeria in any story before "Red Nails," which is already in the latter period of Conan's life, could be problematic. (A shame, since she's one of my favourites too)

domicius said:
I'm not sure I'd call it a reboot. We get a new Sherlock Holmes/Pride and Prejudice/etc every so often, and they're not really reboots.

That said, on its own merits, this movie is pretty basic fantasy schlock. It could be Xena, frankly.
Pretty much.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
domicius said:
Yeah, and it's not even good fantasy schlock. The 80's movie was hilarious, well-done fantasy schlock, but this looks like the result if you put that eragon, 300, and that prince of persia movie in a blender.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Great JT said:
The music in the '11 trailer is, like the text, bland and generic. It sounds almost taken from Halo. And that's not a slam against Halo, the music was appropriate there. Here it just sounds out of place.
Oi! Halo [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0mQk7JEVq4] had [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB5h5YF__JA] way [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40t7coTQ8g&feature=related] better [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Td9-JRM8Fg&feature=related] music [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3GGp3-PHBU&feature=related] than [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQyLgmNgl5Q&feature=related] that [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O9K7E3lDRU], certainly better than the gritty guitar spam that plagues modern fantasy works and certainly less generic. If anything it's closer to the original, bombastic music of Conan. Given, that last track I linked does have electric guitars, but even that one is befittingly epic. I mean, that's Steve Vai playing, so what do you expect eh?

But you're right though. The music from the original opening is properly epic, in the traditional sense of the word. Fantastically bombastic, fitting the decadent and over-the-top world of Hyboria. As is the voice-over, old and worn, drenched with mystique that befits Conan.

And while the trailer has many flaws, music being one of them, it at least shows glimps of that filthy, decadent world. As long as they can grasp that fetid, damp and sticky atmosphere, I'm looking forward to it. For now though, there is cautious optimism. Very cautious. It indeed looks too generic and not Conan enough to be really excited about.

Also, I can't help but say that, while Age of Conan had a terrible launch, it's now a really good game that does convey the atmosphere of the movie really well.

tequilasteve

Aug 17, 2011
There is a lot of comparison going on between the original and the new remake. Whether you thought the original was the greatest thing since sliced bread or not, it earned its due. We've all seen it, people rewatch and remember that movie. That movie came out around the time I was born, my dad watched it and when I was older I watched it too. Because it was good. Who remembers movies like episodes 1-3 of star wars, or Prince of Persia, or the Mummy. Who pulls those movies out once a year to rewatch and qoute along with the film? I've seen those movies, for one reason or another, and I seriously can't remember a damn thing that happened in them. I remember good books and movies but nothing in those kinds moves you in any way.

The new Conan movie looks just as unforgettable as other wannabe movies. I saw the super fast spinning and jumping trailer with slow mow moves. There is always someone who says, "oh you should give it a chance before you judge." We judge all the time for all kinds of reasons. Of course I am going to judge the movie by its trailer. It's like saying "hey man, that looks like a dog turd but it might be a melted mars bar! Let's have a taste!" How many dog turds do we have to taste before we start saying we aren't going to taste any more dog turds?

The original movie is one that made it in terms of being more than a one year flick. It got remembered and still gets watched and that's with a bunch of novice supporting actors like subatai and the big norsemen. I will tell you right now so that I can say later I called it. The new conan movie will be a string of "cool" scenes pasted together. Your kids won't watch this movie. It will be forgotten.